Thread: 1m tonnes of fish dumped back into the North Sea each year! For goodness sake!

Administrator

England

1m tonnes of fish dumped back into the North Sea each year! For goodness sake!

Madness! Utter madness! To think fish stocks are getting low, and people around the world are starving, and then we over fish and dump the excess back... Madness!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7635668.stm

I read about this sometime ago, can't believe it's still happening
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh, I hate this sort of thing. I really can't be doing with wasted food - for example, the sheer waste of food on Big Brother this year was sickening, because like you said, there are people out there starving or going hungry or just eating total crap and meanwhile there's good food just getting binned into the ocean.

Is there some miracle we don't hear about, if you bung a long dead fish back into the sea it'll spring to life? Pfft...

This sort of silliness should stop - and it all comes down to the companies at the heart of it.

England
    It comes down to EU regulations I believe...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    This is just ridiculous.How can people waste food like that.These people are idiots.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    In hundreds of years time people will refer to our era as the stupid ages.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh ... the EU is it?

Wankers, the lot of them...all those bloody bureaucratic ninnies and their mornic carrying on and chronic disorganisation, nit-picking, shady-dealings and so forth.

It's still astonishing that the tax authorities refuse to 'do the EU's books' because they're far too incomplete/cocked up/totally f*cked ... you wanna know where a load of wasted cash is disappearing to? Try deciphering those crooked as fook books.

Undisclosed
    When I read the thread title I thought they were releasing live fish from hatcheries back into the wild to increase their numbers. But dude, this is the opposite. A total waste.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    This is just ridiculous.How can people waste food like that.These people are idiots.
    That totally true.