Thread: Bankrupt Hostess to lay off 187 workers in Connecticut; may close all operations

Undisclosed

Bankrupt Hostess to lay off 187 workers in Connecticut; may close all operations

Another company that served multi-generations of customers becomes a victim of the economy.

Bankrupt Hostess to lay off 187 workers in Connecticut; warns it may close all operations

Hostess Brands Inc. has warned states nationwide that it may close its operations and lay off all employees this summer.

In Connecticut, the company has notified the state that it may lay off all 187 workers and close its five locations by July 6, including 57 employees at the 23 Thompson Road operation in East Windsor.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Damn.

It'll be just like in "Zombieland"--no more Twinkies EVER!

:-(

United States
    Sounds like all those good paying union jobs will be gone. Expect they will use this "crisis" to shift production to another state with less stringent labor regulations.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Markham View Post
    Damn.

It'll be just like in "Zombieland"--no more Twinkies EVER!

:-(

Seriously though, that sucks. Love me some Twinkies & Hostess Fruit Pies. Mmmmmmm.....
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 17-May-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: forgot the cream filling >:D

United States
    Sad. So, we can bail out a shitty, worthless company like GM for with 50+ billion dollars, but not a small multi-generational company like Hostess that we all grew up on here - and would take only a tiny fraction of that kind of cost to help it recover.

I guess Hostess wasn't "too big to fail"

This sucks. I know they filed for bankruptcy a while back and I think emerged from it in 2009, but now it seems they're back in the same hole. This sucks, 'cause I dig Hostess stuff.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 18-May-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    I am going to buy some at the store later today. It is nice to eat junk food once in a while.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Sad. So, we can bail out a shitty, worthless company like GM for with 50+ billion dollars, but not a small multi-generational company like Hostess that we all grew up on here - and would take only a tiny fraction of that kind of cost to help it recover.

I guess Hostess wasn't "too big to fail"

This sucks. I know they filed for bankruptcy a while back and I think emerged from it in 2009, but now it seems they're back in the same hole. This sucks, 'cause I dig Hostess stuff.
    Oh the GM story gets even better. Remember how they were begging for the bailout to save American jobs? Well, lookee here:

GM deal moves electric car development to China -- a 'shakedown'?

General Motors agreed in Shanghai today to develop an electric vehicle platform with longtime Chinese partner SAIC. It effectively moves GM's future electric vehicle development to China. Unclear is whether this would also lead to assembly of future EVs for the U.S. market in China.

So more people in the U.S. are getting put out of work. This is the reason why "trickle down" economics ultimately does not work when the beneficiaries of all of the tax breaks, low interest loans, grants, etc are psychopaths. Their only obssession is to acquire more and more money as easily as possible and it doesn't matter where or how they get it.

There is an old saying "You can't sell things to people who don't have any money". Exactly who does GM think is going to buy all of those Volt cars when companies like them continue to ship jobs overseas?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    Oh the GM story gets even better. Remember how they were begging for the bailout to save American jobs? Well, lookee here:

GM deal moves electric car development to China -- a 'shakedown'?
    Yeah, it's sad, isn't it? This is what our tax dollars are being spent on, people.

All smoke and mirrors.

Y'know, when I was a kid (a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...) I used to wonder why my Dad would get so pissed off when he watched C-SPAN. Only recently did I begin to understand why.

In a sick sorta way, I almost wish I would've kept the blinders on.

Undisclosed
    I did not know they made chocolate filled Twinkies and strawberry cupcakes. Anyone try those?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I did not know they made chocolate filled Twinkies and strawberry cupcakes. Anyone try those?
    Never had those but they used to have chocolate covered twinkies called chocodiles that were pretty good.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Markham View Post
    no more Twinkies EVER!

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Our retarded government is doing everything it can to drive business out of the country. Lowering corporate tax rates and eliminating tax breaks and loopholes would be a good start at getting the economy back on track.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

United States
    I bought 2 boxed of the lil' bastards Friday night just to try & do my part.

Mmmmm....Twinkies....