Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: World War Z - Set video shows running zombies?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    It looks like a rehearsal to me, so it's hard to tell what's what exactly. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say that it seems like a large crowd of panicking people and the struggle in the car is a sort of background vignette in a much wider scene of chaos.

I second the WTF/FFS motion with regards to runners. Like JD says, it might as well be called Brad Pitts Zombie Adventure for all it has to do with the book. If you're gonna adapt a book at least honour the source material not just cash in on the name... Think I might adapt Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol - with jets planes and terrorists and some sort of airport siege at Easter.
    No question about it I prefer slow shambling zombies, always have always will. It was what the genre was about to me a slow moving never ending tide of death you could not escape but that you had some advantages over like speed and intellect. Running zombies are just a different animal to me, and while I am sure I will watch it anyway I am not going to lie I feel really let down by this bit of news. I think I am just too passionate about the source material, and the genre as a whole. I certainly can enjoy a running zombie film the same way I can enjoy pumpkin pie. It can be great, but I would rather have apple.

The issue here is someone took a perfectly good apple pie and through a lot of pumpkin on it.

Screw you Brad.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Afi View Post
    Ok guys... New guy here, so have mercy as I throw my two pennies in the ante..
    Excellent 1st post, Afi! I think you'll find a lot of people agree with at least one or another of your feelings with regards to World War Z.

Welcome, btw.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I certainly can enjoy a running zombie film the same way I can enjoy pumpkin pie. It can be great, but I would rather have apple.

The issue here is someone took a perfectly good apple pie and through a lot of pumpkin on it.
    Sorry but... Pumpkin pie is better. Anyway, yes, I don't like runners at all. Oi vey... still will see it though.

United States
    Maybe we can alter "Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater"

Peter, Peter zombie feeder,
    Had a wife but wouldn't eat her;
    He put her in a pumpkin shell
    And there he kept her very well.
    Chased another but didn't love her;
    He learned to run instead of shamble,
    And then he ate her very well.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 23-Oct-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Although on occasion we do get the odd member stagger in drunk and post their slurred "I love you guys" type sentiments.
    though there has been a remarkable downswing in those sort of posts as a few of the "offenders" have either been banned or simply faded away.

when i used to drink my favorite topic to ramble on about was the history of ohio or some abstract astronomy thingy.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Sorry but... Pumpkin pie is better. Anyway, yes, I don't like runners at all. Oi vey... still will see it though.
    ROFL the great debate of the ages is not Walkers VS runners or TWD vs Romero films, it is what is the best pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    Maybe we can alter "Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater"

Had a wife but wouldn't eat her;
    He put her in a pumpkin shell
    And there he kept her very well.
    Chased another but didn't love her;
    He learned to run instead of shamble,
    And then he ate her very well.
    Love this

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I'm sorry, but sprinting zombies are the only way a zombie apocalypse could be feasible imo. And it adds considerably to the suspension of disbelief as a result. Watching TWD, I can only imagine how military kill units would just absolutely raze entire populations of zombies.
    Last edited by Gemini; 24-Oct-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: v

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I'm sorry, but sprinting zombies are the only way a zombie apocalypse could be feasible imo. And it adds considerably to the suspension of disbelief as a result. Watching TWD, I can only imagine how military kill units would just absolutely raze entire populations of zombies.
    We still don't know how the zombie outbreak occurred in TWD. Not sure myself how the undead could overrun military kill units, tanks, etc. Actually, I don't see how anything living OR dead can overrun our military. They're that awesome.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 25-Oct-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: ed

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    We still don't know how the zombie outbreak occurred in TWD. Not sure myself how the undead could overrun military kill units, tanks, etc. Actually, I don't see how anything living OR dead can overrun our military. They're that awesome.
    Have you read WWZ? Max Brooks explained it very well, in a believable, thorough fashion. Largely its due to our own tendency to muck things up for public relations and psychological purposes and not let the men and women at the sharp end of the sword do the job the way it should be done until its too late.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mpokera View Post
    Have you read WWZ? Max Brooks explained it very well, in a believable, thorough fashion. Largely its due to our own tendency to muck things up for public relations and psychological purposes and not let the men and women at the sharp end of the sword do the job the way it should be done until its too late.
    No no, I was referring to TWD (The Walking Dead), not WWZ which I haven't read yet. I was saying that we the viewers of TWD do not yet know the cause of their zombie outbreak, and therefore cannot explain how the military was defeated or why the corpses we see slumped in cars aren't also active zombies.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 25-Oct-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: ed

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mpokera View Post

He really did. It was explained very well how the weapons we have designed as war machines, and even our tactics and that we have perfected over the years work because they are designed to kill humans with emotions, fears, and limitations like dying from blood loss, and becoming immobile when they lose their legs.

Zombies are like the Honey badger when faced with shrapnel. They don't give a s#1t.

Not to mention zombies do not shock, and they are never in awe...

Except with "sky flowers and road flares" apparently.
    Last edited by Thorn; 04-Nov-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: to add

United States
    Ok look running zombies are just terrible. Its stupid to have the dead running and moving fast. Zach Snyders dawn of the dead remake was a terrible, horrible remake with no redeeming qualities. Thats the problem with hollywood today is we have these awful directors running around destroying really good source material. Snyders totally forgetable dawn remake, Bryan singers superman returns (UGH), MC G terminator was horrible and so on. Snyder started this running zombie garbage and every movie that copies it sucks too like the terrible zombieland.

Twitching

United States
    Agreed,
    I just can't buy into runners the way I can shamblers. There's only a couple of possible origins for dextrous/agile/fast zombies that, improbable as they are, make the tiniest amount of sense internal-consistency-wise. For example: Brian Keene's The Rising and City of the Dead are based on the concept that an advanced physics experiment (like Large Hadron Collider, but even bigger) tore a hole into some alternate hell-reality, and demon-spirits are inhabiting the bodies of the dead and utilizing them at 150% efficiency + complete detailed access to the host-body's memories. It's ridiculous, but it makes a bizarre sort of sense if you can swallow the absurdity. Demons possessing soldiers/officers who died fighting other demon-possessed corpses start forming up into military units and using military hardware to bust into the few strongholds humans are using. Like deploying multiple bunker-busters to get into the CoG bunker.

Then you've got things like Monster Nation, Monster Planet etc. Where again, heedless scientific explorations ruptures the membrane keeping entropic and dynamic forces in concordant opposition to each other. Resulting in tons of mindless zombies, but also like .1% of the "zombies" are more like Marvel Zombies, because in addition to being dead they also develop super-powers ranging from the ability to become incorporeal at will, to high-speed tissue regeneration etc...but all of these human-level-intelligent zombies barely decay and have an innate ability to control huge numbers of mindless zombies like queens of some screwed up undead Hive. Again, the premise is absurd but internally consistent throughout the series. (And no, I didn't pay to read em. Caught em when they were still free-to-read online, before someone gave David Wellington a book deal to publish all of them.

Seeing the trend here? If you don't try to explain how undead corpses can behave like track-stars and/or He-Man, it's stupid. If you DO TRY to explain it, it's exponentially more idiotic. Runners contravene our basic expectations when it comes to zombies. Zombies who run, climb walls and use weapons aren't zombies, they're just retarded vampires with an eating disorder.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombolla View Post
    Ok look running zombies are just terrible. Its stupid to have the dead running and moving fast. Zach Snyders dawn of the dead remake was a terrible, horrible remake with no redeeming qualities. Thats the problem with hollywood today is we have these awful directors running around destroying really good source material. Snyders totally forgetable dawn remake, Bryan singers superman returns (UGH), MC G terminator was horrible and so on. Snyder started this running zombie garbage and every movie that copies it sucks too like the terrible zombieland.
    I like this guy already.

Welcome to the board.

Although personally I enjoyed Zombieland, I was annoyed that it was made by people that clearly had no idea about the zombie genre itself (they admit so on the DVD extras) - but yes, T4 was abominable, Yawn04 was a load of horse shit (110 reasons in 110 minutes why it sucked balls, people - not to mention Snyder et al based their 'zombies' on the Rage infected HUMANS in 28 Days Later ... and that movie just doesn't feature zombies, as confirmed in no uncertain terms by director Danny Boyle and writer Alex Garland) and yeah, I wasn't into Superman Returns either (my biggest beef with that movie was, Kate Bosworth is her name I think, the one playing Lois ... it was like watching an ironing board with the emotion of a brick).

The 'Hinzman Hobble' is the maximum speed for a proper zombie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

The 'Hinzman Hobble' is the maximum speed for a proper zombie.
    I feel this is the top speed a zombie should ever reach, I think he was too animated when smashing things though. I also think the older the walker the slower it should be. Also zombies that scale fences, ladders, fire weapons and so forth is just plain annoying.

With my finger smashed wit ha hammer it is numb, and I find it hard to pull a trigger on a nail gun I can not imagine if I was suffering through rigor, or decay...