Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Dead "Escape"

Undisclosed

Day of the Dead "Escape"

This thread has spoilers about DOTD if you for some reason haven't seen Day of the Dead. If not, make sure to see it.

At the film's end, we know John, Sarah, and McDermitt made it to whatever tropical island that was at the end. We are left to assume that they have a good chance to survive and restart the human race. But when you think about it, this isn't possible. With two men and one woman, they would inbreed. Unless they found at least one other female survivor, they couldn't reproduce without creating a new island of fifteen toed inbreds.

Assuming that they did actually escape in the first place and it wasn't a fantasy, but I believe it's real.

United States
    No, they obviously weren't going to keep the human race going. But they themselves would be able to live out the rest of their lives, which is better than being eaten alive.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by sammylou View Post
    With two men and one woman, they would inbreed. Unless they found at least one other female survivor, they couldn't reproduce without creating a new island of fifteen toed inbreds.
    actually it takes about 50 couples to create a viable genepool and prevent the family tree from turning into a family bush or worse yet, family branch.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed

inbreeding

Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    actually it takes about 50 couples to create a viable genepool and prevent the family tree from turning into a family bush or worse yet, family branch.

Wow. Unless they find 50 other couples, they'd have to decide what's worse: An inbred human race or no human race at all.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Wow. Unless they find 50 other couples, they'd have to decide what's worse: An inbred human race or no human race at all.
    hands down- no human race at all. we have all seen the effects of an inbred human race - they are called hillbillies in the US and chavs in the UK

United States
    Unless Burt Reynolds shows up with his bow, it can't turn out well for the survivors.

United States
    " Boy, You sure got a purdy mouth "

"When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    I say McDermott's the first to squeal like a pig. John would open a can of whoopass first.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    We have them now. They're called ROYALTY.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When John mentioned making babies, I don't think he meant re-populating the Earth. Just the three of them go to the island, have some kids, have a good time, and live out the rest of their lives.

I mean...They could have eventually gone and found other survivors to mate with. Their kids could also have found others after the three of them were dead and gone.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I mean...They could have eventually gone and found other survivors to mate with. Their kids could also have found others after the three of them were dead and gone.
    You mean when the three of them were zombies eating their children?
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalLoco View Post
    We have them now. They're called ROYALTY.
    ????

what in the name of the golden throne of zeus does this mean.
    Last edited by Mike70; 25-Jan-2008 at 08:22 PM.

United States
    When John mentioned making babies I specifically thought he was implying that humanity in general should stop focusing on the past and start looking to the future. A future that demanded the survivors start repopulating. I don't think he was talking about just the 3 of them and I cannot imagine he'd suggest making babies for the sheer fun of it.

I always wondered what their fate would be on that island. An island is great if it's unpopulated and full of sustainable food, but how likely is that? Islands in that area would be heavily populated unless they were virtually unusable.

Eventually they'd need to start gathering supplies from the mainland again. It's a shame they abandoned the base without realizing all the military personnel died. They could have easily gone right back to the underground base and secured it, restocked their supplies of guns, ammo, and food, and then made the decision whether to leave or stay.

Just been bitten

United States
    It depends on whether or not you believe that all Romero's Dead films take place in the same universe or not. If they do then obviously John, Sarah, and McDermitt aren't the last humans on Earth because Land of the Dead has at least one fortified city (& likely more) surviving. Even if they're in seperate universes Day isn't clear on whether or not they're the last humans left alive, only that nobody's in radio contact (& no relay stations).
    God is Santa Claus for adults

United States
    Youd NEED far more than two men and one woman to have a snowballs chance in hell to repopulate anything! It would probably make sense to have more women than men since they are the ones who need to go thru the birthing process...for speeds sake.
    I do agree thou...Burt Reynolds would need to be around with his bow and arrows to keep any threats of inbreeding in order!
    And NO banjos!