Thread: PC question?

capncnut

PC question?

Okay, my girlfriend has had a lot of problems with Norton anti-virus (yeah, we all know it sucks cock) so I told her to remove it with the idea of fixing her up with a better (free) anti-virus.

She removes it and reboots... her PC is now f**ked at a snails pace and now wont let her access anything internet-wise, including MSN. She has assured me that all she did was remove Norton and nothing else. WTF is going on?

Has anyone experienced anything similar/have any ideas so I can pass it on? I don't really want to be telephoning Norway on a daily basis to communicate with her.
    Last edited by capncnut; 18-Jul-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Try a system... A, what's it called... I know what Windows calls it in Swedish, but not English. Sort of "System Recovery".

Restart the computer in Failsafe mode, or Safe mode, whatever it's called, and it should offer you to do a System Recovery. Then just pick a date from maybe a week ago or something like that (before the problems occured) and then restart the computer. Maybe that will help.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Try a system... A, what's it called... I know what Windows calls it in Swedish, but not English. Sort of "System Recovery".

Restart the computer in Failsafe mode, or Safe mode, whatever it's called, and it should offer you to do a System Recovery. Then just pick a date from maybe a week ago or something like that (before the problems occured) and then restart the computer. Maybe that will help.
    Yeah, me and Nathalie tried it and it wont offer any date to restart from. Thanks for replying though, mate.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yikes. Then I'd just buy an external harddrive, back everything up and reformat the computer.

Undisclosed
    I've had some experience with removing and reinstalling several versions of Norton and nothing like this happened afaic remember. I do remember that 2007 or 8 drained resources and was horrible, 09 ain't bad.

If its a malware problem, which I've had a bout or two with recently, use Malware Bytes (free version) and then Combofix and that should clean everything up.

To find out what's slowing the computer down, task manager processes tab and look for the CPU hog, in case you didn't already know this, and post what it is.