Thread: A Newbie View

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

A Newbie View

Hi, don't know why it took me so long to find this place. I've been a Romero worshiper since I was a teen and saw Day at a drive-in (remember those, anyone?). After that, I worked my way back and have seen them all multiple times (even Season of the Witch). Martin is my fave. Anyway, my opinion of LOTD.
    Upon first viewing, I wasn't impressed. It seemed that George was rushing this film to a conclusion. In the past, he would linger and let scenes develop. Like the scenes of mall tedium in DOTD or the lengthy discussions (shouting matches) in Day. Todays audiences are different from those of 25 yrs ago and I think George recognized that and didn't trust todays "kids" to have that kind of patience, no matter the rewards. I would have loved to seen more of Fiddler's Green. Who lives there? What are they doing? Do they care about the outside world? Are they ignoring the problem? This is ripe material for satire and would have made their demise more enjoyable. He could have made a sharper distinction between the "haves". "have-nots", and the zombies. I believe 25 years ago he would have done this.
    When I viewed it a second time on DVD (director's cut but really just adding more gore), I enjoyed it much better and now find it to be a great addition to the series. The reason I know it's great is because, weeks later, I was still thinking about it. Romero films do this. They stick in my mind like no others. I thought Big Daddy was a natural successor to Bub (but we know Bub was trained. How did Big Daddy evolve and the others hadn't?) I also loved the club scene with the Zombie games and so forth. And the scene of the Zombies rising out of the lake is purely classic (and reminded me of a similar scene in Carnival Of Souls).
    Anyway, hope I haven't rambled to much and bored y'all!

capncnut
    Not at all, and I agree with you wholeheartedly on Martin. That film is 'top banana' in my books!

United States

About Big Daddy

I would believe he evolved partially because he may not have been satisfied with the class system when he was still alive. After becoming a zombie, he probably still remembered "the man" keeping him on the bottom. Working at a gas station, he was probably sick of it and wanted "better" in life. Just my opinion.

United States
    Upon first viewing, I wasn't impressed. It seemed that George was rushing this film to a conclusion. In the past, he would linger and let scenes develop
    How true. But keep in mind, Land was not GAR doing what GAR wanted to do, he had a lot of backing from the studio, and had to do what they want, which if you watch other studio movies, is to have a horror film come in right around an hour and a half, with little character development.
    (but we know Bub was trained. How did Big Daddy evolve and the others hadn't?)
    Bub wasnt trained at random, Logan says something to the effect of keeping him around because he showed promise (dont remember the exact quote). As for why did Big Daddy evolve and others didnt, well, Albert Einstien evolved better than the rest of us, how come?
    People are just different would be my answer.

United States
    Idk...Land will always be a 5/10 in my book

5 being average 10 being pure platinum

Undisclosed

Evolve...

I notice it is used wrong often.

Individuals don't evolve.

Species evolve..

Since zombies dont reproduce through typically, zombies will never evolve.

Not to nit-pick but just to inform.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDNA View Post
    I notice it is used wrong often.

Individuals don't evolve.

Species evolve..

Since zombies dont reproduce through typically, zombies will never evolve.

Not to nit-pick but just to inform.
    Actually, one definition of "evolve" is : " To develop or achieve gradually (evolve a style of one's own". So, the word isn't necessarily used wrong.

...just to inform

Quote Originally Posted by otisbenny View Post
    Upon first viewing, I wasn't impressed. It seemed that George was rushing this film to a conclusion. In the past, he would linger and let scenes develop. Like the scenes of mall tedium in DOTD or the lengthy discussions (shouting matches) in Day. Todays audiences are different from those of 25 yrs ago and I think George recognized that and didn't trust todays "kids" to have that kind of patience, no matter the rewards.
    you're exactley right about today's audience and patience with films. Most films these days are rushed.
    Last edited by Adrenochrome; 31-Oct-2006 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by otisbenny View Post
    And the scene of the Zombies rising out of the lake is purely classic (and reminded me of a similar scene in Carnival Of Souls).
    LMAO! I said pretty much the exact same thing to my wife the night we sat down to watch LAND!

Kazakhstan
    i agree, the lake shots were beautiful, also the zombies gazing at the fireworks.
    GAR still has a good eye and knows how to set up something eerie looking(even if the rest of the movie is a bit "mtv" as i said somewhere else), no doubt about that, i think the problems with the movie lie in the script, tone & pace.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The pace, I agree with. But due to the studio crap, he had to cut down his original script. I don't think the script had much to do with Land's overall outcome.

Kazakhstan
    ah dunno about that, didn't find the script satisfactory personally, there's no memorable exchanges like ben talking about his escape from evans city, the "no room in hell" bit in dawn, or the John in day's little speech about punishment from god.

i also can't recall hardly any of the characters names, and to be honest i'd find it difficult to describe the lead character's personality.

dunno, just thought it lacked depth on the whole, like

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    ah dunno about that, didn't find the script satisfactory personally, there's no memorable exchanges like ben talking about his escape from evans city, the "no room in hell" bit in dawn, or the John in day's little speech about punishment from god.

i also can't recall hardly any of the characters names, and to be honest i'd find it difficult to describe the lead character's personality.

dunno, just thought it lacked depth on the whole, like

There were several memorable exchanges(most from Riley) that struck a chord with me.

A few:

"Isn't that what we're doing? Pretending to be alive?" - Riley

"Good shooting, Charlie. No such thing as nice shooting." - Riley

"They're just looking for a place to go...like us." - Riley

"We do not negotiate with Terrorists" - Kaufman(this one is in your face, I know....but I still like it)

"There are three things a man must do alone....be born, die and, well...we all know the other one." - Cholo(this is just a funny one that stuck with me)

"I always wanted to see how the other half lives" - Cholo

All of these stuck with my memory. The best are Riley's, I would say. They mean alot more.

United States
    No suspension of disbelief for LOTD. Just couldn't buy into the whole idea of Fiddler's Green.

From an economics perspective the neo-feudal system was impossible. Essentially the idea was only the military guards and raiding parties worked, everyone else was idle.

Think about it, the rich sat back in their glass tower safely insulated from the evils of the outside world. Other than rent, consumption, and shopping didn't see much economic activity going on. Obviously the free flow of capital is blocked by the exclusive policies of Mr K - no one from the "lower" classes can gain entry regardless of their available assets.

Meanwhile the poor huddle in the streets cold, starving, and lacking adequate medical care. The only diversions are lame puppet shows, cheap booze, drugs, and hookers? With no incentive to improve nor any real leadership from above, the society was essentially in freefall mode.

After all there was no farming, no fishing (the city is on a RIVER for christ sakes), No boats indicating trade activity, no widespread raising of livestock. In fact the entire model is that of consumption - essentially a group of parasites living off the remains of the previous civilization.

While that is fine in the short run, it ignores the larger issues. Even with fuel additives refined gasoline and diesel in the surrounding communities will soon spoil. Canned food has a shelf life of 5-7 years. Eventually as the surrounding communities are picked clean by raiding parties, teams will have to travel further into the undead wasteland to find supplies.

While I've always appreciated Romero's wit and satire, LOTD was too heavy handed. Instead of using a scalpel we are repeatedly brained over the head with a leftist cinder block -> look Mr K = GW bush. Rich people BAAAAAD, the noble poor are GOOOOD.

While this type of revolution allegory might have been acceptable in 1980's, don't think it made an impact on modern audiences. Certainly not the the degree that Dawn 04 or 28 Days Later did back in 2004.
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 06-Nov-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    While I've always appreciated Romero's wit and satire, LOTD was too heavy handed. Instead of using a scalpel we are repeatedly brained over the head with a leftist cinder block -> look Mr K = GW bush. Rich people BAAAAAD, the noble poor are GOOOOD.

That's probably the reason he made it so in-your-face. He knew that most audiences these days are mindless morons that don't think when they watch films. He had to spell it out for them. And judging by the way most films and audiences are these days....he was right. Unfortunately, for the real fans it was a bit too much.

And I thought Dennis Hopper and Romero were taking the Kaufman role more in the route of Rumsfeld?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Well, it wasn't as heavy handed as a Michael Moore film and he always seems to get good reviews, even when producing work with noticeable hyperbole or "creative" editing.