Page 51 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Robocop' (2014) - 3/10
    I suppose we should be thankful that there won't be a sequel.
    *checks Wiki out of interest*

Sequel:

On September 11, 2015, Den of Geek reports that Sony are working on a sequel.
    *cue the music*

I should say that I've still not seen the RoboCop remake. Not in any rush to, either.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Sep-2015 at 04:05 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    'Straight Outta Compton'

Fantastic biographical film! I'm not sure if he even visits hpotd anymore, but I know Djfunkmeisterg has really been raving about this movie on Facebook as well. Easily one of the best music bio films in recent memory. 8/10
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Sep-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *checks Wiki out of interest*

*cue the music*

I should say that I've still not seen the RoboCop remake. Not in any rush to, either.

Ugh...

How can this bag of shite get a sequel and 'Dredd' not?

Well, I won't have to see the sequel.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ugh...

How can this bag of shite get a sequel and 'Dredd' not?

Well, I won't have to see the sequel.

I fully agree.. Although Karl Urban and others involved with Dredd say there is still a slim chance to see a sequel, so at least we can keep our fingers crossed.

I hadnt heard anything about a RoboCop sequel, but it wouldn't really surprise me.
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Sep-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    I hope you're right there Bassy, but I think Alex Garland said it's a no go unfortunately.

On 'Robocop', it's amazing how much they missed in the sequel. In Verhoven's original, Murphy is a robot that increasingly becomes more human. In the remake he's simply an uninteresting guy in a futuristic suit, thus making the viewer cares less and less about an already dull central character.

The level of tragedy that's displayed when Murphy takes off his helmet, in the original, and laments the loss of feeling for his family is very palpable and supersedes any attempt at emotion in the remake. For all the nonsense in the original, there's some genuine feeling. In the remake, the only thing that's going on is a cash in on a famous name.

The only one coming out of this film with any respect is Old Man Gary.

UK

7/10

8/10

4/10

10/10

6/10

- - - Updated - - -

2/10
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Watched The Lone Ranger for a second time. It's a shame this film completely bombed at the box office. I find it to be a fantastic family adventure film and I would've loved to have seen the sequels. Actually, I find this more enjoyable than any of the existing Pirates of the Caribbean films, and here they are currently filming the fifth entry. 8/10

Minions - I was never completely sold on the Despicable Me films, but they were decent enough family entertainment. Of course the minions were probably the funniest part of those films, but given their own full length feature and it starts to seem like a gimmick that's stretched entirely too thin. It's not a bad film, but lacking any sort of special spark to set it apart from the flood of cartoon/cgi films released every year. Even with top-notch talent like Sandra Bullock, Jon Hamm, and Michael Keaton, the end result is simply forgettable. The kids enjoyed it, so I guess that's the most important goal for a film like this, but sadly it didn't do the same for the adult viewers. 5/10
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Sep-2015 at 01:51 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Watched The Lone Ranger for a second time. It's a shame this film completely bombed at the box office. I find it to be a fantastic family adventure film and I would've loved to have seen the sequels. Actually, I find this more enjoyable than any of the existing Pirates of the Caribbean films, and here they are currently filming the fifth entry. 8/10
    Only seen it the once... I recall it being a bit hit and miss but enjoying it quote a lot! I'll no doubt catch it again.

I seem to recall enjoy Zorro more...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Only seen it the once... I recall it being a bit hit and miss but enjoying it quote a lot! I'll no doubt catch it again.
    I saw it a while ago, too, and I enjoyed it. I've enjoyed other big blockbusters more, though, and I did think it was a bit too long. If it had been distilled a little bit more and had a more lean and focused plot, I think it could have done better than it did. I'll probably also give it another spin at some point down the line.

United States

"Lost After Dark" - 6/10 (Ok): Very faithfully made 80's "retroclone" slasher. Too much so, in that it brings nothing new to the genre. But well made & worth a watch.

"Spring" - 9/10 (Amazing): Beautifully shot, very lyrical and poetic. Loved the slow, sedate pace that really gave punch to the horror scenes when they did erupt.
    A horror romance? Wouldn't have thought it possible, but it works. Great scenery, good acting, nice chemistry between the leads. Brings to mind the recent "Only Lovers Left Alive", or even a horror themed version of "Before Sunrise".

"Final Girl" 4/10 (Disappointing) - Great idea. Poor execution. Very stylishly shot, nearly surreal, but a poor script with no explanation.

Ireland
    'The Last House on the Left'

6/10

I have to stress that this is actually my "cut" of the film, where I have excised all of the appallingly unfunny slapstick and, frankly stupid moments, making it a more hard hitting, satisfying, film.

Super Moderator

UK
    'The Last House on the Left'

6/10

I have to stress that this is actually my "cut" of the film, where I have excised all of the appallingly unfunny slapstick and, frankly stupid moments, making it a more hard hitting, satisfying, film.
    Interesting! How did that affect the over all run time - how many minutes did you lop out?

I remember the first time I saw it I did find the bumbling cops stuff a really weird shift in tone, very jarring. In some ways those scenes have their own bizarre charm, but they are really strange too.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Sep-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Ireland
    The running time is about 1:16. (that's not minutes and seconds there ). What was cut was largely the goofball music piece at the beginning during the cake making scene and Krug and company's drive sequence. The ridiculous, so called comedy cops that even a 2 year old wouldn't laugh at have largely been eliminated. Basically, anything that was put in that destroyed the tone. The entire centre piece of the film remains intact as there was nothing to cut there and it's easily the best handled part of the picture. The ending remains untouched too, even if that looks really amateurish.

It's the only way I can look at the film now.

I still find it amazing that Craven and company chose to film such stupid sequences and essentially destroy his film. I can't stress enough how downright awful they are. If he was looking for money for another feature, I'd have told him to get lost after viewing 'The Last House on the Left' in it's original form.

'The Last House on the Left' was one of those 70's films that I always thought would have benefited greatly from a remake. But when I saw the remake from 2009, it was such a wasted opportunity. Just people going through the motions.

Super Moderator

UK
    'The Last House on the Left' was one of those 70's films that I always thought would have benefited greatly from a remake. But when I saw the remake from 2009, it was such a wasted opportunity. Just people going through the motions.
    Ugh, tell me about it - a load of shite, so it was ... and that microwave bit was moronic!

I've not watched LHOTL in quite some time. I must give it another spin (IIRC I've seen it 3, maybe 4, times). The remake I saw once and I can barely remember it, which is nice.

Ireland
    'Millers Crossing'

8.5/10

'Dances With Wolves'

9.5/10