Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WGON: Short for "Goblin"?

United States

WGON: Short for "Goblin"?

I was just reflecting on the call-sign for the station in "Dawn" in the opening of it as "WGON", and I was wondering -- was it intentionally intended to create "GON" as a abbreviation for GOBLIN who, of course, did the soundtrack?

Maybe I'm reading way, way, way too much into it. Of course, none of us around here would ever intentionally read entirely too much into anything from the films or anything...

I suppose GON could also be seen as an abbreviation of "GONE" which in the context of the film would make perfect sense and is actually pretty damn funny if so...

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 02-Mar-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I'd guess if it meant anything it would be 'We're gone'.

...but man, do The Goblins have some hideously outdated scores in that movie or what?..

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I'd guess if it meant anything it would be 'We're gone'.

...but man, do The Goblins have some hideously outdated scores in that movie or what?..
    Bite your tongue....don't mess with some classic movie music!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Yeah, it's supposed to be like "gone", I'm sure Romero and/or Savini talked about this on one of the DVD commentaries, either on the US theatrical one or on the Savini commentary of the UK "Box of the Dead" extended edition.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Goblin thing is doubtful and I've never heard of the "gone" theory. The second would make more sense, but is still kinda funny. "We gone".

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I agree that Goblin's (not The Goblins) score for DAWN is one of their worst. The sound design was dated, even for the late 70s. It seems as though they were trying very hard to sound American when ironically, Romero chose to cut the film with a European score (the De Wolfe cues).

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I agree that Goblin's (not The Goblins) score for DAWN is one of their worst. The sound design was dated, even for the late 70s. It seems as though they were trying very hard to sound American when ironically, Romero chose to cut the film with a European score (the De Wolfe cues).
    Really? Call me crazy ('cause I am), but I think Goblin's soundtrack in "DAWN" is absolutely incredible and probably one of the best horror film soundtracks I've ever heard. I couldn't imagine DAWN in my head without hearing the Goblin soundtrack along with it -- when I think of zombie's personally, the DAWN/Goblin music gets stuck in my head... it's almost inseperable for me.

Honestly, Goblin's soundtrack is really the only "horror" music from any horror film that actually freaks me out and scares me depending on how late it is in the evening. I know I'm 29 and all, but that music just, well, still has the power to frighten me... it like freaks me out, man (nose pick).

And that electronic zombie-moan thing in the movie -- I don't know if Goblin did that or not, but I shudder every time I hear that...

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I love the Goblin's sound for Dawn of the Dead. And all their soundtracks, really.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Really? Call me crazy ('cause I am), but I think Goblin's soundtrack in "DAWN" is absolutely incredible and probably one of the best horror film soundtracks I've ever heard.
    Really, although that's no reason why you can't like the score.

The best written, most progressive-sounding Goblin piece used in Romero's edit, La Caccia, is also the most poorly arranged. The grating synthesizer chords are just dreadful, even for 1978. If you were already familiar with the brilliance of Goblin's music in Argento's Suspiria and Deep Red, the DAWN soundtrack was a huge let-down. There's a good reason why Romero edited Goblin's work, taking all the best bits and combining it with other choice passages of library music.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The Goblin thing is doubtful and I've never heard of the "gone" theory. The second would make more sense, but is still kinda funny. "We gone".
    Or... we could be reading to much into it and over speculating.

Like that's never happened.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I must be one of the few that prefers Romero's choice of Library tracks over Goblin's original score. Some of Goblin's stuff is pretty cool for the flick, but for the most part it's kinda over done to me. Especially in Argento's cut. That much use of Goblin is enough to make me puke...
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Mar-2010 at 04:02 PM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Whether or not you like Goblin's score in Dawn, you gotta admit they were responsible for some of the most memorable horror scores of all time, most notably:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I must be one of the few that prefers Romero's choice of Library tracks over Goblin's original score. Some of Goblin's stuff is pretty cool for the flick, but for the most part it's kinda over done to me. Especially in Argento's cut. That much use of Goblin is enough to make me puke...
    Yeah i wasn't a fan of that either. And it wasn't so much the fact that he used Goblin music but that it seemed to be used almost exclusively. Definitely overkill.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't watch that cut all that much and it's been a long time since I have seen it, but am I correct in recalling that it is pretty much wall-to-wall Goblin? As I remember it's Goblin from the opening to the end credits. Yuck. There can be silence every now and again, ya know?

Speaking of end credits....f*ck argento for giving the film regular scrolling credits. Romero's mall credits are the shiznit!
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Mar-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't watch that cut all that much and it's been a long time since I have seen it, but am I correct in recalling that it is pretty much wall-to-wall Goblin? As I remember it's Goblin from the opening to the end credits. Yuck. There can be silence every now and again, ya know?

Speaking of end credits....f*ck argento for giving the film regular scrolling credits. Romero's mall credits are the shiznit!
    I for got about that. There are many suddle differences between his cut and GAr's.

I think it was mostly in an effort to cater to his European audience. I'd like our friends acroos the pond to weigh in on if they thought it was cool or not, because europe's tastes are obviously diffent than ours.