Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Pontypool"....anyone seen it yet???

United States

"Pontypool"....anyone seen it yet???

And would you consider it a zombie movie?

I just started watching it.
    "No Day But Today"-RENT

Being Attacked

United States
    I have seen it several times. I enjoyed it, they did a very good job of creating a truly creepy atmosphere and a generated some real scary tension with what had to have been almost NO budget at all.

As for the question about whether its a zombie movie? It certainly doesnt fit the GAR/TWD canon. The creatures arent dead at all, its much more similar to 28 days later infecteds. Is that a zombie movie? Personally I dont think so, dsnt mean it cant be scary and a good time to watch zombies to me are reanimated corpses.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Watched it and really liked it. A zombiefilm? Yeah, I think so.

But I'm also of the school of thought that considers 28 Days/Weeks Later to be zombie movies. Just because they're not GAR zombies doesn't mean they're not zombies.

A comparison that comes to mind immediately is Pontypool and Dead Air. Pontypool is of course the superior film.

United States
    Yeah, it was really good. . . .the whole "language becoming infected" thing was a bit hard to swallow, but they made it plausible. And yeah, I consider it a zombie movie.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Well I finished it...and i liked but...but I am not really sure I "got it" LOL LOL LOL
    "No Day But Today"-RENT

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Yeah, it was really good. . . .the whole "language becoming infected" thing was a bit hard to swallow, but they made it plausible. And yeah, I consider it a zombie movie.
    Not at all ... or maybe it's because I grew up during a time when Subliminal ( in ad work and other media; like, say, The Exorcist - for example ) was an art form .
    There was also a brit film called Breakfast At The Manchester Morgue (74)which accidently woke the Dead with sonic waves.

Pontypool, on the other hand, refreshed it with a nice little twist.

It's always fun to watch Stephen McHattie(most notably recent in Watchmen, and I remember him from a 70's maxi series called Centennial ) and I really liked Lisa Houle (who's married to McHattie ) as Sidney Briar.
    And I loved the little Sin City style film noir coda. Just hope the sequel brings us something new.

Is it a Zombie pix, you betcha. Folks put into a trancelike state? That qualifies under some definitions.

Wayne Z

United States
    I haven't seen the film yet but I'd like to get a copy on DVD.

United States

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Canada
    I live about 30 minutes from Pontypool Ontario. I took a drive through there last summer and took some photos. If I can find them I'll post them. Not much to see there, it wasn't filmed on location. There's only one church in town so that's probably where the radio station is supposed to be. There's also an old grain elevator there and that would be where the traffic reporter was broadcasting from. Where's those damn photos?

Canada
    Ok here's some pics of my "exciting" trip to Pontypool!
    Attached Images

Undisclosed
    I liked it. It could have done some things better but I thought the idea for the cause of the infection was fairly novel and would be apocalyptic if it occured. So that was cool. I also liked all the performances and the atmosphere of the movie. It relaly has a feel to it that goes from work as usual to how are we going to get out of this, to we can fix it all then everything is taken away. I just really digged the atmosphere.

Undisclosed
    Just reading this thread has made me want to watch this again. I haven't watched it in over a year. Good movie. I guess I'll get that dvd now and have a drink.

Australia
    I loved Pontypool. I was thinking about it a couple of weeks ago & keep meaning to watch it again. It's a different type of zombie film - more psychological, which I think is fantastic. After I watched it I was thinking about it for days.
    zombies
    eat flesh.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    A comparison that comes to mind immediately is Pontypool and Dead Air. Pontypool is of course the superior film.
    I agree that Pontypool is better than Dead Air, which is weird seeing as Johnny and Barbara from Night '90 are the stars.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    But I'm also of the school of thought that considers 28 Days/Weeks Later to be zombie movies. Just because they're not GAR zombies doesn't mean they're not zombies.
    Don't get me started!
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 08-May-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: q