Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300 Prequel?

Administrator

England

300 Prequel?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/300-S...ably-9346.html

Little bit lost on this one... Surely the whole premis of 300 was the battle of Thermopylae? Why would a prequel (or sequel) be of interest?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Especially considering the real one was craaaaaap. I hate it when people think you can substitute substance with style.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Especially considering the real one was craaaaaap. I hate it when people think you can substitute substance with style.
    'Real one'?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Well, the film. 300.

England
    The 300 movie was fracking awesome, I didn't expect a true account of the battle of Thermopylae, that was not the aim of the movie or the director...I expected insane over the top comic book violence and I got it in spades.

As for a prequal though....WTF?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Well, the film. 300.
    I think 300 is/was great!!!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    The 300 movie was fracking awesome, I didn't expect a true account of the battle of Thermopylae, that was not the aim of the movie or the director...I expected insane over the top comic book violence and I got it in spades.
    I expected a solid movie, dumb or not. I got something that had no substance and no soul.

You CAN'T just make a movie on pretty visuals, no matter how hard you try. It's fun the first 5 minutes, but the rest of the two hour running time you get nothing new.

Also, I am of course heavily biased since I like history, and this was an insult to all things historic. Ok, they didn't have to tell it truthfully. I really don't care, I just don't like the movie (but nobody is forcing me to watch it). But why the **** are the spartans yelling about protecting their freedom? That's just hollywood propaganda machine at it's work.

Oh, and all good guys were basicly Mengele's favourite pupils, and all the bad guys were guys that Mengele would have no problem chucking into a barn and setting on fire. Just a thought...

Administrator

England
    I expected a solid movie, dumb or not. I got something that had no substance and no soul.

You CAN'T just make a movie on pretty visuals, no matter how hard you try. It's fun the first 5 minutes, but the rest of the two hour running time you get nothing new.

Also, I am of course heavily biased since I like history, and this was an insult to all things historic. Ok, they didn't have to tell it truthfully. I really don't care, I just don't like it. But why the **** are the spartans yelling about protecting their freedom? That's just hollywood propaganda machine at it's work.
    I found it quite moving in places... I certainly didn't find it devoid of substance and soul, for me at least...

My biggest dislike of it was David Wenham's voice over... His accent really bugged me

England
    So it was a US/Nazi propaganda flick then? - I thought it was just an average kick back, turn off your brain and enjoy kind of affair.

The film delivered exactly what it promised and exactly what I expected. I enjoyed it a lot.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    it was all of the purple prose in 300 that lost me. while i really cannot stand the movie, it did had its diverting actiony moments.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    So it was a US/Nazi propaganda flick then? - I thought it was just an average kick back, turn off your brain and enjoy kind of affair.
    Well, maybe you don't react to oppressing spartans, who kept helots as slaves, standing around yelling about freedom. But I guess I do. It's just very silly, and very hollywood. Very preachy, and very propagandish.

The nazi analogy is more far fetched, but, unfortunetly, it fits perfectly.

England
    Jesus Christ! It was a friggin pop corn flick, a few hours of mindless flashy fun...lot's of folks enjoyed it for what it was - Get over it.

Administrator

England
    Well, maybe you don't react to oppressing spartans, who kept helots as slaves, standing around yelling about freedom. But I guess I do. It's just very silly, and very hollywood. Very preachy, and very propagandish.

The nazi analogy is more far fetched, but, unfortunetly, it fits perfectly.
    I didn't see a problem with this... I'm sure what ever their social makeup, they weren't keen on seeing their friends and family thrown into slavery or killed etc...

On a side note, from my understanding, the Spartan's in some ways were quite advanced socially? Weren't their women not given many liberties and positions not seen elsewhere for example?
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Jesus Christ! It was a friggin pop corn flick, a few hours of mindless flashy fun...lot's of folks enjoyed it for what it was - Get over it.
    Yeah, that's the way I look at it. Obviously they weren't trying to be "historically accurate" or make a thoughtful film, but it just amazes me how people seem to think it's the greatest film since Ben Hur.

I watched it once and really have no desire to see it again. I know some guys that watch it multiple times a week and have posters from the film all over their walls. I'm beginning to wonder if they have any homosexual blood running through their veins....

A sequel/prequel? No thanks.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Yeah, that's the way I look at it. Obviously they weren't trying to be "historically accurate" or make a thoughtful film, but it just amazes me how people seem to think it's the greatest film since Ben Hur.

I watched it once and really have no desire to see it again. I know some guys that watch it multiple times a week and have posters from the film all over their walls. I'm beginning to wonder if they have any homosexual blood running through their veins....

A sequel/prequel? No thanks.
    I didn't see it as a pop-corn flick myself. It was a bit more clever than that to me, at least artistically.. But also felt it had some 'depth' to it in the characters...

Now, it's certainly no Ben Hur... But it's still a damn good flick to me at least
    -Carl Sagan