Thread: Revolution (TV series)

Administrator

England

Revolution (TV series)

A new sci-fi series set 15 years after a mysterious event somehow renders all motor vehicles and electrical devices on the planet (even the ones that run on batteries) useless, “Revolution” comes to us from J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot production company (“Fringe,” “Person of Interest”) and writer-producer Eric Kripke (creator of The WB’s “Tarzan” and “Supernatural”).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfCRAtkYEI
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Recorded it last night, and plan on watching it tonight.

Super Moderator

United States
    It was decent, but too early to see how the writing will pan out. I've been looking forward to this since I saw the promos for it, as it seems very reminiscent of S.M. Stirlings early Emberverse stuff:

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm, looks interesting ... not sure if I'll watch it yet though. Too many shows on the go as it is.

One thing I noticed though is that everyone looks a bit too pretty for a world that's gone 15 years without electricity. Look at The Walking Dead, everyone in that show is covered in muck and sweat - it looks like the apocalypse - and while in this show they'd probably have more chance for washing etc, they do still all look a bit too clean and pretty.

Also - the dude that played Gustavo Fring!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    One thing I noticed though is that everyone looks a bit too pretty for a world that's gone 15 years without electricity. Look at The Walking Dead, everyone in that show is covered in muck and sweat - it looks like the apocalypse - and while in this show they'd probably have more chance for washing etc, they do still all look a bit too clean and pretty.
    Poor comparison, MZ. TWD is current apocalypse, this setting is post and more in keeping with just generally lower tech levels. Though things are a bit too pretty perhaps, people who are mindful of cleanliness and knowledgeable about its relation to basic health would make some effort in their settled villages to bathe regularly (more so than a direct analog to pre-industrial times of the past), albeit probably not daily or as often as most people currently go about their showering schedule. They've basically had 15 years to settle down and get their act together, they shouldn't be as clean on average as a modern era person from our timeline, but they can still be somewhat tidy in their appearance.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Ugh, watched it, really disliked it. Personally im sick of the "IS THIS THE YEARS LOST OR TERRA NOVA??" bollocks where we apparently 'NEED' watercooler "questions for the sake of asspulled questions" television.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Ugh, watched it, really disliked it. Personally im sick of the "IS THIS THE YEARS LOST OR TERRA NOVA??" bollocks where we apparently 'NEED' watercooler "questions for the sake of asspulled questions" television.
    Heh, I felt the same way by the time the credits rolled. I got a very throwback feel to 1st season Jericho, which even at that time was pulling too heavily from Lost's playbook, and doing it better than this show. However, I punched out of Lost early and didn't get suckered into a lot of its clones, so either I haven't been worn down by the same-old, same-old to the extent you have Danny, or I just don't know better to avoid the trap entirely.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    It was decent, but too early to see how the writing will pan out. I've been looking forward to this since I saw the promos for it, as it seems very reminiscent of S.M. Stirlings early Emberverse stuff:
    I thought it WAS based on the Emberverse from the previews. It wasn't nearly as good as Stirling's series. The magical amulets seem, well, kinda dumb. And once they showed that firearms still worked, that pretty much killed the "end of technology" premise for me. If gunpowder works normally, why wouldn't other combustion-based technology (e.g. gasoline engines)? Why does the world mostly look like it's at a quasi-medieval tech level (most people armed with swords, bows, crossbows) rather than a late-18th-century technology level?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I thought it WAS based on the Emberverse from the previews. It wasn't nearly as good as Stirling's series. The magical amulets seem, well, kinda dumb. And once they showed that firearms still worked, that pretty much killed the "end of technology" premise for me. If gunpowder works normally, why wouldn't other combustion-based technology (e.g. gasoline engines)? Why does the world mostly look like it's at a quasi-medieval tech level (most people armed with swords, bows, crossbows) rather than a late-18th-century technology level?
    Isn't it that electricity isn't working for some reason? So coal, gas, fire are all OK!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    this "show" was ridiculous on so many levels that it boggles the mind. i've seen enough and won't be back for more. you've pretty much hit it right on the nail in the above post. the whole thing makes about as much sense as a submarine with screen doors on it.

it seemed a rather pathetic attempt to cash in on the whole 2012 paranoia idiocy.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    this "show" was ridiculous on so many levels that it boggles the mind. i've seen enough and won't be back for more. you've pretty much hit it right on the nail in the above post. the whole thing makes about as much sense as a submarine with screen doors on it.

it seemed a rather pathetic attempt to cash in on the whole 2012 paranoia idiocy.
    Yep, I barely got through the pilot since it looked like what was left for we viewers to ponder - the writers hadn't even figured out yet. Not a good start at all.

Wayne Z

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    This. I wasn't impressed by it at all. Of course, I didn't really high hopes going into it. I might check out another episode to see if it pcks up any - but I'll be cashing out if it doesn't.

It's on NBC anyway - so I doubt it'll make it past 12 episodes - no need to get attached to a show that won't make it.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 27-Sep-2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Just from watching the preview:

1) Cozy catastrophe. Too neat. Too tidy. Too clean. This is not even close to what a world would look like 15 years down the line if the electricity went today. I have zero interest in watching this.

2) It's too "happy meal". Too much of a product. Like Terra Nova. Unrealistic characters, swordfighting (????!!!) and uniformed Militias?

3) So that's what happened to Gus Fring...