Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Doctor Who ... yay!

Super Moderator

UK

New Doctor Who ... yay!

Watched it this evening, good stuff, very entertaining.

I think this new girl is gonna be good, smart and intelligent, fit and well played.

Tennant was superb as usual as the man himself, and it was a funky little story ... although if someone just ran on and shouted "IT'S BLACK STIG!!! BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!" at one point (in reference to one of 'the slab' leather goons, or whatever they were called), then it would have been superb.

All in all, great stuff!

capncnut
    As an old skool Whovian (Patrick Troughton/Tom Baker) I have to say... it was okay.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    it was better than the lame werewolf one that started off seson 3 of the "new who", but you know its gonna pick up.
    i dont mind more of the darleks and cybermen but they need to introduce a new enemy, stargate did it with the replicators without changing the overall theme of the show, like the spider thing in the last christmas special was trying to recreate its race, now taht would have been a cool new enemy, i mean the doctors like 950 years old or something youd think by now he'd be a little less shocked by just the darleks and the cybermen...again.

capncnut
    I like Darleks and Cybermen but at the end of the day, I'm want Ice Warriors man.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Wait... What episode are the Cybermen in?

Super Moderator

UK
    it was better than the lame werewolf one that started off seson 3 of the "new who", but you know its gonna pick up.
    If you mean the one with Queen Elizabeth in it, set in Scotland, that was 'new Who' series two, episode two. The first episode was set in a hospital many, many years into the future - it had cat-like nurses and a whole underground area filled with 'zombie people' infected with a whole variety of diseases. Zoe Wanamaker's character also made a return in the same episode.

What started yesterday was the 3rd series of 'new Who' - hence why it was labelled "Doctor Who III" on the clapper boards in Doctor Who Confidential after the show was aired.

Administrator

England
    Is it better than the last series? Cos I wasn't very impressed by it! Is it better?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Didn't you watch it last night?

I enjoyed it, good fun it was. Next episode is set at the Globe Theatre at the time of Shakespeare with some kind of witchy type things I think...interesting.

I think Tennant is a sheer joy to watch as The Doctor, he plays the man himself just like I remember the Doctor being when I watched it as a kid (albeit in a more modern manner and a bit more obviously kooky) ... he's generally rather fun and rather nice, so when he gets sad or gets angry, it really carries some weight to it, and Tennant delivers that superbly.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Didn't you watch it last night?

I enjoyed it, good fun it was. Next episode is set at the Globe Theatre at the time of Shakespeare with some kind of witchy type things I think...interesting.

I think Tennant is a sheer joy to watch as The Doctor, he plays the man himself just like I remember the Doctor being when I watched it as a kid (albeit in a more modern manner and a bit more obviously kooky) ... he's generally rather fun and rather nice, so when he gets sad or gets angry, it really carries some weight to it, and Tennant delivers that superbly.
    Sorry the series with Eccleston was mostly excellent... Tennant may have potential, but the last series let the series down a bit from what it followed on from...

Eccleston was great!! And the stories (mostly) matched!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    I agree Neil, Ecclestone was top banana.

Kazakhstan
    If you mean the one with Queen Elizabeth in it...
    victoria, brah .

i thought it was ok, also speaking as an old school whovian of 12 years experience, and as someone fairly critical of the last series, i thought it was a SERIOUS improvement on episode one of the last series, which had some good ideas but was marred by some really soggy sentimental bits.

however, old school fans across the world are outraged at how badly the judoon were a rip off of the sontarans from thd old school series...

"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

UK
    Elizabeth, Victoria - that's the one I meant...

Anyway ... can't remember much of my Dr Who viewing past, were the Sontaran's also galaxy type police?

I guess the new Who's are kinda remaking the whole franchise in a way, not necessarily specific elements, but the whole show...so I guess that's kinda part of that process.

capncnut
    Anyway... can't remember much of my Dr Who viewing past, were the Sontaran's also galaxy type police?
    The Sontarans are far from policemen MZ - more like warriors hellbent on galactic war. And they look like turds too!

But if they wander too far from their craft, they melt so I wouldn't exactly be scared if I bumped into one.

Kazakhstan
    the klingons were a ripoff of the sontarans, basically.

the borg were a ripoff of the cybermen.

thats why star trek isnt on anymore, doctor who was off air for 15 years, they ran out of ideas to rip off from us
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    the borg were a ripoff of the cybermen.
    Hmmm... Bit of a push that!
    -Carl Sagan