Thread: RIP Stanislav Petrov

Administrator

England

RIP Stanislav Petrov

So it's just been reported Stanislav Petrov died earlier this year - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41314948

It can be argued this guy is the reason we're still all here. At the height of the cold war in September 1983, he received computer readouts suggesting several US missiles had been launched. He ignored protocol to report this up the chain, and instead sat on the information.

It turned out Russian satellites and got confused over the reflection of sunlight off clouds! If he'd reported the information like he was suppose to... it's entirely possible we wouldn't be here!

In a similar note we also have Vasili Arkhipov to similarly thank for probably saving us for nuclear destruction during the Cuban Missile Crisis! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov
    There had been no contact from Moscow for a number of days and, although the submarine's crew had earlier been picking up U.S. civilian radio broadcasts, once B-59 began attempting to hide from its U.S. Navy pursuers, it was too deep to monitor any radio traffic. Those on board did not know whether war had broken out or not. The captain of the submarine, Valentin Grigorievitch Savitsky, decided that a war might already have started and wanted to launch a nuclear torpedo.

Unlike the other subs in the flotilla, three officers on board the B-59 had to agree unanimously to authorize a nuclear launch: Captain Savitsky, the political officer Ivan Semonovich Maslennikov, and the second-in-command Arkhipov. Typically, Russian submarines armed with the "Special Weapon" only required the captain to get authorization from the political officer to launch a nuclear torpedo, but due to Arkhipov's position as flotilla commander, the B-59's captain also was required to gain Arkhipov's approval. An argument broke out, with only Arkhipov against the launch.

This effectively averted the nuclear warfare which probably would have ensued if the nuclear weapon had been fired.

I wonder how many other times we've "been lucky!"
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I saw this reported. Many thanks to Petrov (and indeed Arkhipov) for being calm heads in extremely heated and dangeous times.

I imagine it'd be utterly terrifying to know how many times we've come spectacularly close to total destruction, but at the same time - we're still here - so there are sensible heads in key places keeping the world turning, quite thankfully!!!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye, I saw this reported. Many thanks to Petrov (and indeed Arkhipov) for being calm heads in extremely heated and dangeous times.

I imagine it'd be utterly terrifying to know how many times we've come spectacularly close to total destruction, but at the same time - we're still here - so there are sensible heads in key places keeping the world turning, quite thankfully!!!
    Do you know - from what I've heard - there are technically no steps/other people inbetween the president of the US and "the button"...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

If you only knew how many times the universe has almost been obliterated from the experiments going on in my garage...

- - - Updated - - -

Mr. Petrov was also involved in a more famous confrontation...