Thread: A Serbian Film

United Kingdom

A Serbian Film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1273235/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film

TRAILER

Didn't know where to put this. Not sure if anyone has heard of this, I've obtained a copy which I'm going to watch at the weekend. Not sure why I'm going to watch it, probably the hype around it, I dunno. Along with the car crash thread, it got me thinking about how far film makers are prepared to go in their art, are they just out to shock, or is there really a political or artistic reason for films like this. I suppose I'm just trying to prepare myself to watch a film with some supposedly very questionable scenes.

There's only ever been one film that I had to pause to take a break from, and that was "Irreversible", but I think the pause button might take a hammering on this one. Anyone seen this, or heard about it?
    Kill 'em All

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1273235/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film

TRAILER

Didn't know where to put this. Not sure if anyone has heard of this, I've obtained a copy which I'm going to watch at the weekend. Not sure why I'm going to watch it, probably the hype around it, I dunno. Along with the car crash thread, it got me thinking about how far film makers are prepared to go in their art, are they just out to shock, or is there really a political or artistic reason for films like this. I suppose I'm just trying to prepare myself to watch a film with some supposedly very questionable scenes.

There's only ever been one film that I had to pause to take a break from, and that was "Irreversible", but I think the pause button might take a hammering on this one. Anyone seen this, or heard about it?
    I've heard very, very good things about this film. Yes, it seems to be an extremely shocking and disturbing film, but I have read a number of reviews and every one has been nothing short of glowing.

But yes, prepare to be sickened:

Screenwriter Srdjan Spasojevic has responded to the controversy with "This is a diary of our own molestation by the Serbian government...It's about the monolithic power of leaders who hypnotize you to do things you don’t want to do. You have to feel the violence to know what it’s about."[9]

Scott Weinberg wrote "I think the film is tragic, sickening, disturbing, twisted, absurd, infuriated, and actually quite intelligent. There are those who will be unable (or unwilling) to decipher even the most basic of' messages' buried within A Serbian Film, but I believe it's one of the most legitimately fascinating films I've ever seen. I admire and detest it at the same time. And I will never watch it again. Ever."
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 27-Aug-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Undisclosed
    It's gotten quite a bit of attention in the Miscellaneous section of another website I frequent. Apparently, there's a scene of a man having sex with an infant. No thanks, I already had pancakes this morning.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    It's gotten quite a bit of attention in the Miscellaneous section of another website I frequent. Apparently, there's a scene of a man having sex with an infant. No thanks, I already had pancakes this morning.
    Yes, that's why I had my doubts about watching it. But as krakenslayer said, the majority of reviews have been excellent.
    Kill 'em All