Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead: Survival Instincts (video game)

UK

Walking Dead: Survival Instincts (video game)

Seems like Activision are getting in on the act too... Not much info but it looks like you'll get some Daryl/Merle action:

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-walk...1225332p1.html

Could be cool, could be a car crash - we'll see!

Over at IGN, Activision's just announced a new Walking Dead game based on the AMC TV show, as opposed to Telltale's acclaimed adventure game series based on the comic. This one's a prequel shooter starring brothers Daryl (the player character) and Merle Dixon -- also known as Crossbow Guy and Psycho Guy Whose Hand Got Cut Off -- before they link up with Rick Grimes' band of survivors.

We don't know a ton about it yet, other than that it's being assembled by Ghostbusters developer Terminal Reality, you'll fight zombies, decide whether to help or screw over other survivors you encounter, and fight zombies, all while managing your supplies of ammo and food. It'll be out on PC sometime in 2013. In the meantime, we'll just play some DayZ and hope this one turns out at least good enough to not ruin the Telltale games for us. What do you think of the trailer?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I didn't care much for Tell Tale's game that's currently out there, but this.....THIS IS IN GOOD HANDS.

Created by the team behind Ghostbusters?!?!? I need a change of pants. If anyone can capture the vibe of a franchise and please it's fans, it's these guys. Cant wait to see more.

Administrator

England
    ^^ Do you not just worry it'll be a FPS with no real survival or tactics?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ Do you not just worry it'll be a FPS with no real survival or tactics?
    I feared Ghostbusters would be nothing more than a FPS, but they managed to make it more engaging while involving the characters and interactions that made the movies memorable. I think this TWD game will be great fun.

Did you ever play the Ghostbusters Game?

Undisclosed
    Hmmmm. A FPS? I just don't know. Forgive me for being sceptical but a shooter starring two muscular, well armed 'bro's' against an army of the undead just doesn't rhyme with what TWD -world is (was?). The guys writing the Telltale games really do get it IMO. That second episode played out like a classic horror story. Not just generic running around shooting the undead like a boss.?

I'm worried Kirkman is starting to sell out. Overkill you know? I guess we could be inching closer to that saturday morning cartoon with talking animal companion to Carl
    Still, could be cool IF done right and if it's not just another dumbed down shootfest. Haven't played Ghostbusters mind you.
    Finger's crossed then ... (please don't screw up.mantra)
    Last edited by krisvds; 07-Jul-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Trailer:

Some details about the game, and some ideas of gameplay (e.g. conserving ammo, using stealth etc - hopefully that all makes it into the game!):

No actual footage yet - but the idea of being to possibly play as Daryl Dixon sounds good to me, and indeed, coming from the folks who gave us the super-awesome Ghostbusters Videogame, I'm looking forward to it!

England
    Both Rooker & Reedus have been all over this on Twitter, they like the idea anyway! I wonder if they will be doing the voice acting?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Both Rooker & Reedus have been all over this on Twitter, they like the idea anyway! I wonder if they will be doing the voice acting?
    I'd bloody well hope so!

I'd imagine they'll be using the CoD engine for this (being that it's Activision), and with the TGB:VG guys behind it, hopefully it'll be good!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    man, i thought an adventure game wouldnt suit the narrative style, but a bro down schmup? eh... ill try it, but honestly we already have left 4 dead if they want it to be about the shooting- something twd isnt about at all.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    man, i thought an adventure game wouldnt suit the narrative style, but a bro down schmup? eh... ill try it, but honestly we already have left 4 dead if they want it to be about the shooting- something twd isnt about at all.
    According to that IGN preview/info video, it isn't going to be about running around shooting - i.e. it's not going to be CoD with the Brothers Dixon.

Interestingly, Michael Rooker has recently supplied his voice to a character in the up-coming Call of Duty: Black Ops II, so hopefully they'll get him (and Norman Reedus) to voice their TWD personas ... it'd be idiotic if they didn't secure the real guys ... but considering they got all the key players for the GB videogame, there's hope.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    then why make it an fps at all?

i mean rule #1 of the comics is 'shooting attracts the walkers, use an axe or something'. Traditional 3rd person survival horror ala silent hill downpour/alan wake would make more sense.
    Last edited by Danny; 07-Jul-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: asda

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    then why make it an fps at all?

i mean rule #1 of the comics is 'shooting attracts the walkers, use an axe or something'. Traditional 3rd person survival horror ala silent hill downpour/alan wake would make more sense.
    That's exactly the point i was trying to make before. A FPS just doesn't feel right in this world.
    I hope I'm proven wrong. Can't help but be sceptical though? Especially after the (up to now) stellar Telltale game that, tonally, matches the comic.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If anything, this stands a chance as being a REAL FPS survival game.

L4D and the like are just crap, imo.

England
    If you just want to shoot zombies get yourself one of these

The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Just because it's an FPS, doesn't mean it has to be all guns blazing - it's merely a perspective - there's plenty of 3rd person games where it's nothing but shooting. The viewpoint given to the gamer, be it first or third person, doesn't matter: it's the aim and execution of the game itself, and it would seem they're going more of a survival route - you have to conserve your ammo, you can use stealth to get around zombies, you don't always have to engage, humans are just as dangerous (if not more so) than the undead etc.