• Gremlins

14 70.00%
  • Gremlins 2: The New Batch

6 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gremlins Movies

Kazakhstan

The Gremlins Movies

recently bought these on DVD, i was addicted to them when i was about 5, still great movies, one thing though - am i the only one who prefers the second one?
    the first is great, and has more of a classic, christmassy movie feel to it, but the second is just so...mad... the gremlins look far more convincing, and it's generally a pretty insane movie, one mad thing after another happens, with very little actual plot. love it.

also, the john wayne bit on the video edition (easter egg on the dvd) is way better than the cinematic version with hulk hogan...
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

UK
    Both movies are friggin' awesome, and the first film is indeed great (gotta love the theme tune too), but aye - I was thinking the same thing about the second film, it was just so much fun. I remember one day I was off ill from school and I watched it twice in a row because it was so fun and daft and such...and Mogwai's are really cute! I want one! GIZMO!!!!!!!!!!!

capncnut
    First one had a better atmosphere.

Super Moderator

UK
    The first did have more atmosphere, yes, it's also the more than likely the better movie, hehe, but I duno ... I just have fond memories of the sequel, it's just a hoot.

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The first did have more atmosphere, yes, it's also the more than likely the better movie, hehe, but I duno ... I just have fond memories of the sequel, it's just a hoot.
    agree with this 100%. in my heart i know the first one is the classier dame,but i watched the 2nd one so many times as a kid, every bit of it is drilled into my brain.

i can justify it by saying there are more gags, the prosthetics are better and christopher lee pwns, but meh, i just prefer it for no reason i guess...

anyone see the "critters" movies? used to love them too
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    but the "gremlins" do one heck of a # on those recipients of their wrath
    inside that building
    in #2
    + it had that grandpa Al Lewis kinda tv host dude
    ownage
    Last edited by Bongholio; 14-Apr-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah mate! I loved/love the Critters movies!!!

Critters was the second movie I ever dubbed from the video shop!

I've got 2 and 3 on video, 4 taped off TV as well. 1 was awesome, 2 was funky fresh, and 3 was a hoot (young Leonardo DiCaprio no less! Plus Critters eating beans and farting a lot - what's not to like?!). 4 was iffy, of course, but still enjoyed it.

Ah dude, those movies rocked cocks up and down the strip...

Undisclosed
    gremlins vs critters, now thats a film i'd like to see

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by fartpants View Post
    gremlins vs critters, now thats a film i'd like to see
    That would be awesome.

United States

I liked part 2 better but it was kinda hokey

I felt like number 2 was better because it was consistently entertaining even if it wasn't scary... the downside was it was just tooooooo damn funny to be as good as the first one which is a total classic..
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How did I miss this poll?...

Anyway, I have to go with the first. As mentioned earlier, it had the atmosphere. The second one I enjoy for the camp factor. Nice levels of cheese that can entertain.

I mean....who doesn't like seeing a gremlin whore or a cultured gremlin singing "New York, New York"?

Kazakhstan
    it's all about the count

"all theyd have to do is EAT three or four children and thered be the most appalling publicity"

THE LEISURE HIVE

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm with ya, Liam. I voted for The New Batch. Love that one. I remember seeing it in theatres when I was little and at the part in which the film "gets messed up" I truly swore I looked up into the projection booth and saw a gremlin up there laughing. I can still remember seeing it....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was linked to this through the Gemlins 3 thread. Sorry for the necromancy.

Mike...I haven't seen the films in a while, but I believe that theater scene is in the first film....

Super Moderator

United States
    How could 6 of you choose the 2nd film over the first?! Dear god and sweet baby Jesus, how?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany