Thread: one thing about 28 days later...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

one thing about 28 days later...

that has always bothered me. ok. most of you know i am a bit of an egghead so here goes:

first off i love 28 days later. i think it is a great movie, so my criticism isn't meant to be some sort of giant shit on the flick. it is just one of those things that can bother you, even about a movie you love.

i found it odd that the soldiers would be trying to see how long it would take for an infected to die of starvation when a person would die from dehydration within 2 or 3 days. faster if they are in a hot environment or running a fever.

sooooo, by the time jim awakens from his coma, all of the infected should've been long dead through lack of fluids. to my knowledge this is never discussed in the movie and the infected aren't shown eating or drinking anything. they are shown in the last throes of starvation at the end.

even though the virus is simply called the Rage virus, it seems to have some connection to rabies (though rabies is spread through saliva and the rage virus seems to have several vectors).

the rest here is sheer speculation on my part so bear with me: one of the symptoms of rabies is hydrophobia. a severe aversion to water. so if this virus is related to rabies it could actually cause the people suffering from it to avoid any intake of fluids, thereby hastening their demise from dehydration even faster.

like i said, just one of those things that's always sort of bothered me.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Scip, I need your help!

You see, my ex-girlfriend, who happens to have been a 6' 5" former NCAA power forward, left my DVD collection of 'A History of Britain' on the top shelf of my bedroom and they've been marooned there since we broke up two years ago! Now, these shelves are way high, my ex-amazon is the one who put them up for christsakes, after all. The uppermost portion of these shelves have to be like 8 and a half feet off the floor and my 5'8" self can't get my damn DVDs down and I'm getting an itch to watch them.

Why do I think you can help me, Scip?

Because you're so damn good at reaching

Seriously though, I always thought it was odd that the commander mentioned they were waiting to see how long it would take for the infected fellow to starve, but they may have assumed that the infected, due to their ability to shrug off some levels of physical damage (I'd assume due to adrenaline and a physical, intellectual and psychological disconnect from what it takes to fully feel pain, but that's beside the point) may not die as easily as your average (read: uninfected) person and they wanted an actual benchmark to be certain the infected would die of starvation in a similar amount of time as your average human. I also feel that the infected *must* be drinking, as that makes most sense, regardless of any theoretical ramblings or dissembling.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    6 foot 5 huh? and you're 5 foot 8. well i guess it all lines up the same way doesn't it?

you have a point that the metabolic rates of the infected could be drastically diffferent and that they might indeed be drinking even though it isn't shown.

United States
    I always just wondered why they didn't attack each other. Some rage If they were in a true bezerker style rage they would tear into anything moving. . even each other. Aside from that. . I love the movies. The dehydration thing? Yeah I guess they must be drinking. They aren't consuming the flesh of their kills tho. .so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    You see, my ex-girlfriend, who happens to have been a 6' 5" former NCAA power forward,
    ]
    I'll bet you never let her wear a skirt. It's hard to keep the balls from hanging out of a skirt.
    Last edited by clanglee; 15-Jan-2009 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Just been bitten archivesofthede's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I always just wondered why they didn't attack each other. Some rage If they were in a true bezerker style rage they would tear into anything moving. . even each other.
    Dude. That's great. I never thought of that. Now my OCD is going to beat me up over the 28s.
    ARCHIVES OF THE DEAD - RIP

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    I'll bet you never let her wear a skirt. It's hard to keep the balls from hanging out of a skirt.
    man, you just made me choke on beer. who knew that aces was into brazilian "chicks?"

Super Moderator

United States
    It's hard to keep the balls from hanging out of a skirt.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    You saw them in the church scene and they were sleeping. So if they sleep, maybe they drink, too.