Thread: New Joker costume based on Johnny Rotten

United States

New Joker costume based on Johnny Rotten

Who would have thought a Sex Pistol
    could influence the Clown Prince of Crime?

Dressing the Joker
    New look inspired by the Sex Pistols.

February 25, 2008 - Fresh off Oscar night, we're all apt to pay a little more attention to the behind-the-scenes players in the movies... people like costume designer Lindy Hemming who came up with The Joker's new dudes in Chris Nolan's The Dark Knight.

Hemming tells how she came up with the outfit in an interview, "I started to think, 'Well, how could someone be like this?'" explains Hemming. "Then I wanted to contemporize it, so I started looking in fashion."

Hemming says another element of inspiration came from the world of punk rock. "You say, 'What's the rationale for him being able to dress like this?' That's when I started looking at the pop world and I ended up looking at the Sex Pistols and Johnny Rotten," says Hemming. "I was just thinking, 'Well, there are plenty of guys out there who actually are as extreme as this, and there's nothing wrong with doing it.' You've got to make it look like someone really dresses like this. It can't just be, 'Hello, I'm putting on my costume.' It's got to be wherever he lives and whatever he's been doing, he's been wearing that."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've been pretty excited over this. It's strange that it seems like the costume designer is trying to take all the credit for the influences on the Joker and the suit. Reportedly, all those influences were discussed by Ledger, the Nolan's, and David Goyer way back before the script was even written.

Anyway. I love the Joker's new suit. In fact....I love everything about the character. Is going to be a big one in the history books, that much i'm fairly certain of.

And for some visiual representation(as if people haven't see it):

Much better looking than Nicholson's Joker, imo.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I agree and I share your enthusiasm. I've been really interested to check this out after reading Michael Caine's interview where he says Ledger has put in one of the best performances in screen history. That's a f**king bold claim.

In fact, there's talk that he would've won next years awards for sure.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    In fact, there's talk that he would've won next years awards for sure.
    technically couldnt he still "win" awards for his performance?

yknow, like say best actor, give the award to him even though hes not alive to recieve it, surely if a performance is good enough thats allowed right?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It seems like he could still win. They would probably present it to a fellow cast member or director and then give the award to his family. That's my guess, anyway.

For Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and other acting heavyweights to say it's one of the best performances they've seen is a pretty big achievement.

Anyone notice that he's got a chain going from his belt to behind his jacket? Wonder what that is. Surely he doesn't have a wallet. Maybe a pocket watch...

Super Moderator

United States

Yeah, I have to agree, as well. I think this film'll be a nice treat.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    this is going to be the batman film....the best batman film of all time.

can't wait. july seems so far away.

Undisclosed
    I agree it looks great - I'm pumped for this film. I loved Batman Begins so I have faith in this film and in top of all that, Ledger's Joker performance already just looks great from the trailers.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    yeah, it all looks great, but i don't really see a John Lydon influence there. I mean, did he ever even wear purple? or green for that matter? really, I don't get it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    yeah, it all looks great, but i don't really see a John Lydon influence there. I mean, did he ever even wear purple? or green for that matter? really, I don't get it.
    Of course not the colors, dude. The colors are used from The Joker's first appearance in Batman #1 and have generally been the colors of his suit throughout the years.(see photo)

I think they're referring to the rough, sort of "I don't give a f*ck" look. The hair, although longer than most pictures I've seen of Lydon, reminds me of his. The way it's doing whatever it wants. As for the suit, I've seen him wearing a good bit of jackets that can appear quite similar to The Joker's. And the chain....well that's a given.

Of course, I'm only going off of pictures I've seen of Lydon in the past. I'm not really a fan of his or anything. I think Capn could probably elaborate a bit more.

capncnut
    The hair, although longer than most pictures I've seen of Lydon, reminds me of his. The way it's doing whatever it wants. As for the suit, I've seen him wearing a good bit of jackets that can appear quite similar to The Joker's.

Actually, the suit Ledger wears here is very reminiscent of Lydon's outfits in late eighties PIL. Just a tone darker though.

Canada
    it's a shame the joker is a two bit villian :P
    The performace will be great, I have faith enough, but I've never liked the joker...I just can't take an ordinary man whos only power is his intelligence and insanity as a threat in a world populated by super humans. But he fits this movie well enough, as they are going for the most realistic possible plot and story in the new batman series iirc.

Seriusly, why not just shoot him?

I'm not a big fan of batman tbh, so i am kinda biased against most everything that has to do with him or his enemies. (I just saw batman begins though, and I must say, Bale does a ridiculously great job of playing the character the way he is ment to be played.)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    it's a shame the joker is a two bit villian :P
    The performace will be great, I have faith enough, but I've never liked the joker...I just can't take an ordinary man whos only power is his intelligence and insanity as a threat in a world populated by super humans. But he fits this movie well enough, as they are going for the most realistic possible plot and story in the new batman series iirc.

Seriusly, why not just shoot him?

I'm not a big fan of batman tbh, so i am kinda biased against most everything that has to do with him or his enemies. (I just saw batman begins though, and I must say, Bale does a ridiculously great job of playing the character the way he is ment to be played.)
    Two things from a Batman nerd such as myself....

1. Batman is not superhuman. Neither are the enemies in his original rogues gallery. Over the years they've made ridiculous enemies and different "universes" such as most comic franchises do.

2. Batman won't use a gun or intentionally kill his enemies. There have been story arcs where he does this, but they go against the original mythos of the character.

That's one thing that confuses me when people complain about Nolan's realistic take on the Batman franchise. Batman was created, and for the most part, always been a "realistic" character....

And shame on you for not liking the Joker! Hands down the greatest comic book villian of all time.

United States
    yeah, i've always been a marvel fan, especially spider-man, so i gotta say that it's a toss-up between the green goblin and the joker. this particular portrayal of the joker looks like it's gonna be the best comic-book movie villain yet, though.

with comments like that by michael caine, it'd surprise me if ledger isn't nominated for a few major awards for this role.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 07-Mar-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    PIL was weird...