Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 110 reasons in 110 minutes why Yawn04 blows (for the Dawn04 haters)...

Super Moderator

UK

110 reasons in 110 minutes why Yawn04 blows (for the Dawn04 haters)...

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT want this turning into a Land VS Dawn04 thread.

Well, it was requested, so here it be.

Truthfully, I didn't expect to get over 100, so even I'm a little surprised...but only by a bit.

Decided to post them on my blog, rather than, just so I don't have to censor the voluminous amount of swearing.

Consider this my definitive list of reasons why I hate Yawn04 ... well, kinda ... at least in terms of what's on screen. The other main reason was the script, which I thought was atrocious, and that's kinda reflected in this list.

Also consider it a bit of fun in itself. And again, I don't want this to turn into yet another Land VS Dawn04 thread, cheers.

PART ONE:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/03...yawn04-is.html

PART TWO:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/03...hy-yawn04.html

Enjoy.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    DISCLAIMER: I do NOT want this turning into a Land VS Dawn04 thread.
    But you know it's gonna!!!

Why on earth is there a head in a cool box?
    Of all the reasons you listed, that one tickled me the most. I thought the exact same thing, "wtf?"

Super Moderator

UK
    Well it's not, because it's aimed at the Dawn04 haters.

Any rantings to make this a Land VS Dawn04 thread will be deleted. It's a fair ask from me, the thread originator. Same as with all other threads and members. If a request is made, we respect it, goes for any situation where it might come up, no matter who the member is.

The head in a box just smacks of movie making rather than trying to film their own reality. That, along with Luda and other characters or elements, are purely there to provide an excuse for a scene to waggle in front of the audience.

It's a fine line, but if you understand where I'm coming from on that aspect, you'll get what I'm on about.

United States
    I mean why can zombies not run because of brain and muscle and ligament damage, but they can exibit strength enough to tear a person apart, and develop enough intellect to do the various things Bub and the Land zombies did, and enough intellect to use a rock as a weapon in the original.

Oh well majority of the list is true, except I disagree with the zombies shouldn't run and another one. I'll find it again later......

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Oh well majority of the list is true, except I disagree with the zombies shouldn't run and another one. I'll find it again later......
    I don't see any reason why you can't have living dead that run. It simply wasn't handled well in DAWN '04. When you throw out the original film's subtext for the dead being incredibly slow-moving and weak, you're left with fast zombies for lack of any other means to scare the audience.

Btw, even slower than Romero's living dead are Fulci's zombies and they are scary as hell in both Zombie and The Beyond--probably the best part of either film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I don't see any reason why you can't have living dead that run.
    OOPS! I guess I didn't word that right. I meant I disagree with Minion about the undead shouldn't run. I agree that I see no problem with them running. I personally think Yawn '04 was one of the good remakes of this decade. Of course I still prefer the original.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    OOPS! I guess I didn't word that right. I meant I disagree with Minion about the undead shouldn't run.
    I understood and agree with your point: there's no reason why there can't be running dead. I simply disagree with how it was handled in DAWN '04--it was utilized as a crutch. The filmmakers just couldn't figure out how to make a viable threat out of slow-moving zombies.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I understood and agree with your point: there's no reason why there can't be running dead. I simply disagree with how it was handled in DAWN '04--it was utilized as a crutch. The filmmakers just couldn't figure out how to make a viable threat out of slow-moving zombies.
    AHA! Got you!

Hey I have question.......Well even though they are not really zombies......Does anybody still put 28 days and weeks later in the zombie category?

Super Moderator

UK
    28 Days Later aren't zombies, they living people infected with a virus - it's a plague movie.

If the director and writer repeatedly say it's not a zombie movie, and they're the ones who made the damn thing, then it's not a zombie movie.

Back on topic though please, this being a bit of fun for like-minded Dawn remake haters and all...un-bunch your panties Dawn04 lovers.

Canada
    my panties have been unbunched, thanks for the reminder Minion.

I agree with alot of what you said, I still like the film, but turns into a droopey, valium affected prostitute near the middle, and then the vlaium wears off. Groggily, and not of sound mind, the prostitute leaves the relitive safety of her pimps house, and finds herself in a neighbour hood run amok with Orthodox christians. Furious, and at the same time, filled with sorrow, the christians follow her around and attempt to clean her up and take her into Gods grace, but she wants none of that. She runs off into the nearby woods, and eventually into anouther section of the town, where she finds peace- in the hands of a new pimp.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've no idea what you just said ... but it was funny.

Canada
    it's what Dawn (or Yawn if you prefer) seems like to me- a vampant orgy of pure sexual delight at the start, then a valium od'd tuna nash prostitute for the middle and a part of the end.

duh.

United States
    Dawn04 lovers.
    There are lovers!
    I'm only a liker!

Undisclosed
    28 Days Later aren't zombies, they living people infected with a virus - it's a plague movie.

If the director and writer repeatedly say it's not a zombie movie, and they're the ones who made the damn thing, then it's not a zombie movie.
    Then Night of the Living Dead isn't a "zombie" movie either. The director and writers never intended the living dead to be "zombies." They called them "ghouls," "flesh eaters" and "things."

The fact is nobody should care what the filmmakers have to say about this point. It should be obvious to anyone that 28 Days Later has much more in common with Romero's Dead films than The Crazies or other "plague" films. It's still one of the best takes on the genre in this last 10 years along with SHAUN of the DEAD.

The most influential films in this genre are about IDEAS not "zombies," which is why the original DAWN succeeds while the remake DAWN is mindless junk. It's simply splitting hairs to become so hung up on the categorization that you miss the point.

Super Moderator

UK
    Appreciate the list people! I spent 110 minutes or more compiling that comedy gold!

But in Night - they're dead people walking again. They never used the term, because at that stage the term was usually placed on voodoo guys working in mines etc.

Stay on my f*cking topic you bastards! *stomps around the playground*
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Mar-2008 at 06:21 PM.