Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Blade films (Hey, vampires are living dead)

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed
    Also, the film is ****ing filled with stupid plotholes. In the end Whistler knocks out a vampire, one of the main vampires actually, and then... what does he do? He crawls down the ventilation... With a silver sword. Whistler, hello, you could have killed that guy right there with no hassle whatsoever and you would have saved Blade a ****load of trouble!

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Quit reminding me! Geez...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler
    Yeah, yeah, yeah! Quit reminding me! Geez...
    Haha, priceless.

United States
    I thought Del Toro's sequel was a better film overall. Yes it was over the top and you had quite abit of by-the-numbers cliche scenes. Del Toro and Goyer said it themselves in the documentary: its a comic book movie. Some of the scenes looked like moving panels from a comic book. Even some of the poses and stances that Blade did in the film looked like your typical comic book super-hero pose.

I would agree that it wasn't scary, but Del Toro sure knows how to make things grotesque. I actually thought the Reaper-vampire strain was a nice twist. Again, its something that one can see being done and used in Marvel Comics to start off a new story-arc. Even the Bloodpack was something a comic book fan wouldn't find out of place. If I had any beef with the film it was that they didn't use Donnie Yen enough.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    This is that just because comics are nice, doesn't mean they translate well onto the big screen. Blade 2 is a prime example of how to do things the wrong way.

United States
    This is that just because comics are nice, doesn't mean they translate well onto the big screen. Blade 2 is a prime example of how to do things the wrong way.
    I think you misunderstand me. I like the fact that they made the sequel with a comic book feel and look to it. I really don't see Blade II, or any of the films in the trilogy, as horror. To me they're more action-films with horror aspects to them. Plus, Blade II seemed to be the film in the triogy that actually seemed like everyone involved was having fun.
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think Guillermo was having fun, and as was Wesley. But that doesn't make it a good film, I find it so lacking on many cinematic levels. The screenplay was ludicrous and the way they tried to copy comic book production art was laughable. Also, the Mortal Kombat fighting scene was the worst I've ever seen. Not even George Lucas could have done it worse.

The rest of the cast was pretty crappy, except for Ron Pearlman (who didn't do much anyway) and Kristofferson.

United States
    I think Guillermo was having fun, and as was Wesley. But that doesn't make it a good film, I find it so lacking on many cinematic levels. The screenplay was ludicrous and the way they tried to copy comic book production art was laughable. Also, the Mortal Kombat fighting scene was the worst I've ever seen. Not even George Lucas could have done it worse.

The rest of the cast was pretty crappy, except for Ron Pearlman (who didn't do much anyway) and Kristofferson.
    Ahh, well Del Toro and company didn't have ILM to lean on like Lucas does.

But what you thought was bad I thought was pulled off well. I think you might be mistaking the over-the-top production of the film for it being bad. But again you're points might have some merit, but I could probably find others who would disagree. As for copying comic book porduction art... they weren't. All I said and has been said in the supplemental extras by Del Toro was giving the film a comic book feel to it. A sort of hyperreal sensibility that the first touched on but didn't take far enough.
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Production Design is definetly to comic book inspired, as I'm sure all aspects of the film are. I just can't take a film that's so silly seriously, nor be excited by it's one dimensional characters who duke it out in some of the most heavily CGIed action scenes ever. CGI can drain the soul from anything, if used wrong (or to much).

United States
    The Production Design is definetly to comic book inspired, as I'm sure all aspects of the film are. I just can't take a film that's so silly seriously, nor be excited by it's one dimensional characters who duke it out in some of the most heavily CGIed action scenes ever. CGI can drain the soul from anything, if used wrong (or to much).
    I'd actually agree with you on the CG-fight. It did look like CGI. I think I'm more willing to forgive that than most just for the sheer energy of the fight themselves. I knew going in to watch the sequel that I shouldn't expect thought-provoking and life-affirming themes. I went in to see a popcorn, action flick and I got it.
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    That's exactly what I expected too. But I just hate it when filmmakers are to lazy to stage real fights, stunts, sets and do it all CGI.

Banned User

United States

Thumbs up The first Blade was intense...

Deacon Frost or whatever his name was, was an awesome bad guy. When he turned into the Blood God, I was like rock on.