Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mist

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ive still yet to see it, but i laughed when i learnt that american pies "the sherminator" was in it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Shocking by the standards of the sort of movies watched by people who'd pimp such a quote, which is damn near a spoiler on it's own, because it's setting people up to expect such an ending.

It's like the 'alternate ending' of I Am Legend being labelled "controversial". No, "A Clockwork Orange" - THAT was controversial - the ending of IAL (the better one of the two at least) was not controversial, maybe it got a few producers rubbing their balls up against each other in a pissing contest, but come off it.

United States
    Saw this one last weekend...the ending....WTF?!?!?

I've read (& loved) the novella, & the movie (from what I remember) was about 90% faithful, with only a few minor changes here & there, & then *WHAM* here comes a HUGE change...THE END! The original had a depressing enough ending as was (but not TOO depressing...sort of like the ending to "Dawn")

Why, oh why, would you try to have an ending more depressing than STEPHEN KING (not exactly known for bright sunshiny endings as as)?

Why you you stay so faithful to the book & them muck up the end?

Anyone have any insights?

Banned User

Undisclosed
    I didn't like it. I thought the ending was bad.

Undisclosed

I like the ending...although maybe line the kid and women up in a row and shoot through them both...it a .357 it should be able to do that at point blank range.

Also I liked this ending...although its been a while since I read the short story so I don't recall Kings original. It would have been better if the mist ended right outside the parking lot to the store. All this mayhem inside and just a hundred yards away...safety.

United States

well, when you think about it, the book ending was infinitely more depressing. they get out of the store, but they drive into the mist and there is no rescue. the mist does not have an ending at all, it has covered the entire world as far as they know. The only glimmer of hope that they have is the little snatch of a voice they heard on the radio. In the movie. . sure it sucks for the Dad. . .a lot. but at least the rest of the world is safe.
    Last edited by clanglee; 08-Apr-2008 at 08:57 PM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post

well, when you think about it, the book ending was infinitely more depressing. they get out of the store, but they drive into the mist and there is no rescue. the mist does not have an ending at all, it has covered the entire world as far as they know. The only glimmer of hope that they have is the little snatch of a voice they heard on the radio. In the movie. . sure it sucks for the Dad. . .a lot. but at least the rest of the world is safe.
    From that point of view, true. I guess I just preferred to open ended uncertain version. The film version is pretty CERTAIN...

United States
    Neil, in the book they had a gun with 3 bullets and 4 people in it, so they did it that way to be true to the book I guess.

The movie was almost a word-for-word adaptation from the book. I can't think of anything besides the ending that was altered; the movie even has more characters than the book (PFC Jessup or whatever his name was and the clerk chick).

I was digging the movie right up to the ending.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just watched it this past weekend. I liked it alot. Some of it was a bit lagging at times and the CGI was a bit weak at points(particularly during the loading dock/tentacle scene) but overall I thought it was a good time.

I really liked the whole commentary of when the world falls apart, people turn into animals. I think the line was "If you throw people into the darkness, they will eat each other" or something like that. It reminded me alot of NOTLD, actually.

Personally, I loved the ending.

I can see why most people would hate it, but I thought it was a perfect way to end such a film with such a dark and hopeless situation. Someone here mentioned that it wasn't played out well by the actors, but I think the quiet, looking around and thinking of each character played it out perfectly. They knew it was coming and had time to think about it/reflect on their lives

And props to Thomas Jane. I haven't seen him in that many films, but I thought he knocked this one out of the park.

One last thing - Everyone saying that the ending to the film is off the mark when compared to the book, apparently it's not. Now, I haven't read the book, but in the special features King and Darabont both talk about the ending.

Darabont reminds King that there is a certain small line in the book where David is thinking to himself that there are only three bullets left and if the time comes, he'll kill everyone else and find his own way to die afterwards.

On top of that, King says that he wishes he had thought of that ending and put it in the book, as he thought it was a much better ending than the original. So apparently it's not as un-King as some of you think....
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Jul-2008 at 03:31 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I just watched it this past weekend. I liked it alot. Some of it was a bit lagging at times and the CGI was a bit weak at points(particularly during the loading dock/tentacle scene) but overall I thought it was a good time.

I really liked the whole commentary of when the world falls apart, people turn into animals. I think the line was "If you throw people into the darkness, they will eat each other" or something like that. It reminded me alot of NOTLD, actually.

Personally, I loved the ending.

I can see why most people would hate it, but I thought it was a perfect way to end such a film with such a dark and hopeless situation. Someone here mentioned that it wasn't played out well by the actors, but I think the quiet, looking around and thinking of each character played it out perfectly. They knew it was coming and had time to think about it/reflect on their lives

And props to Thomas Jane. I haven't seen him in that many films, but I thought he knocked this one out of the park.

One last thing - Everyone saying that the ending to the film is off the mark when compared to the book, apparently it's not. Now, I haven't read the book, but in the special features King and Darabont both talk about the ending.

Darabont reminds King that there is a certain small line in the book where David is thinking to himself that there are only three bullets left and if the time comes, he'll kill everyone else and find his own way to die afterwards.

On top of that, King says that he wishes he had thought of that ending and put it in the book, as he thought it was a much better ending than the original. So apparently it's not as un-King as some of you think....
    Oh, it was VERY King like actually, IMO. I'd since read of King's enthusiasm for the new ending. I've since come to terms with it a bit. I still like the book ending better, but this one probably DOES make more of a lasting impact on the viewer. I found it very haunting & disturbing. I've still been thinking about after having seen it weeks ago. I definitely would like to watch it again.

Other than just the dark/disturbing nature of the ending, I think a segment of viewers that didn't like it are fans of the book. As in most cases, book fans usually don't like it when you change things seemingly arbitrarily. It was a shock too when the movie had been about 90% faithful & then took such a drastic turn.

Overall I've come to conclude it's a damn fine movie (the weak CGI in spots might be my only complaint) & I've come to accept the new ending

the military riding to the rescue still kinda bugs me though.

United States
    Stupidest ending of all-time. Got a huge "Yeah, RIGHT!" out of me when I saw it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Stupidest ending of all-time. Got a huge "Yeah, RIGHT!" out of me when I saw it.
    The um...giant tenticles, or bugs, or spiders, or 50 foot monsters didn't make you go "yeah right"?

Those are more "yeah right" inducing situations than a man trying to shield his son's eyes from the horror, imo....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    The um...giant tenticles, or bugs, or spiders, or 50 foot monsters didn't make you go "yeah right"?

Those are more "yeah right" inducing situations than a man trying to shield his son's eyes from the horror, imo....
    90 mins of people running from the wind comes to mind.

United States

No. And I didn't see any "shielding eyes from horror", either. All I saw was a ridiculously-too-convenient load of crap that was used to end things in a nice, tidy, "it's all over in 30 seconds" package. Completely stupid.

Kind of like if Dawn of the Dead ended with all the zombies just falling over dead the instant Fran and Peter get to the roof, and "the nightmare is over". Gag.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Kind of like if Dawn of the Dead ended with all the zombies just falling over dead the instant Fran and Peter get to the roof, and "the nightmare is over". Gag.
    Zombies fall over dead??? Did you and I see the same Dawn?

I thought the Mist had a perfect ending. Better than another typical "everything is back to normal for everyone!" kind of thing, imo.

I remember people used to rag on me because I liked the ending to Arlington Road. It seems as though if a film has a downer ending, most people think it ruins the film...