Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mist

Administrator

England

The Mist

OK... I felt a little let down by the film. The acting and shooting style sometimes made it feel like a TV movie.

Also the the script suffered from unrealistic behaviour at times, and the acting - when really needed - wasn't quite strong/good enough to pull off the more important moments of the film...

Certainly a better than usual King adaptation though - 6.5/10.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    man I remember reading that short story - i was blown away by it....will be interested to see how this film turns out...

Undisclosed
    I liked it...the ending was pretty good...I will not spoil!

I would say in todays movie ratings...7 out of 10

Not to shabby especially for a King!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I liked it...the ending was pretty good...I will not spoil!

I would say in todays movie ratings...7 out of 10

Not to shabby especially for a King!
    I enjoyed it, but it could have been far better:-
    - Acting let it down at times.
    - Characters too controved.
    - Character behaviour too unrealistic at times.
    - Situations definately too contrived at times & therefore unbelievable (especially the ending!)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    ***SPOILERS!!!!

Dunno about the film but the ending of the book was kinda depressing...well it just ended because it was a first person account of the situation....very very dark. I am kinda stoked to see this film. Can't wait. Setting is a shopping mall still right?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    ***SPOILERS!!!!

Dunno about the film but the ending of the book was kinda depressing...well it just ended because it was a first person account of the situation....very very dark. I am kinda stoked to see this film. Can't wait. Setting is a shopping mall still right?
    Yes...
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    quality...can't wait!

Super Moderator

UK
    **FILM SPOILERS FOLLOW**

Yo Neil, just watched it this afternoon. It drags at 2 hours along, and indeed some of it is a bit contrived - such as the explanation of where the things are coming from - a bit of on-base hear-say gives away an entire super-secret military operation.

Some of the acting got a bit ropey at times, and while I enjoyed Thomas Jane in the role, at times - mainly at the end when he had to cry a lot and be all 'why god why?' shouty, it was rather uneven.

Epicly depressing ending, as if a Brit had written it. Although at least it was something different...had I been in that situation, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger until I saw those things drawling on the car - JUST IN CASE.

The bible bashing freak bitch infuriated me immensely...so I guess the acting was solid there, then. But it just pissed me off too much that all that was not enjoyable to watch, it just became a chore to wade through the utterly babaric God Wrath Bunch who relied on rhetoric and adjectives and finger pointing ... if it had just been pulled back a bit, it would have been easier to sit through - and therefore bettered the film.

At times it did feel like a TV movie, zoom twitches feeling out of place, some of the scenes and how they were covered etc...and the CGI things of course. It swung from good moments, to cheesy moments, to annoying moments, to more good moments, to depressing, to "well it was nice they didn't end it like some Hollywood garbage".

One of the better King adaps I'd say, solid enough, but a bit wobbly around the mid-rift.

Administrator

England
    **SPOILERS**
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    **FILM SPOILERS FOLLOW**

Yo Neil, just watched it this afternoon. It drags at 2 hours along, and indeed some of it is a bit contrived - such as the explanation of where the things are coming from - a bit of on-base hear-say gives away an entire super-secret military operation.

Some of the acting got a bit ropey at times, and while I enjoyed Thomas Jane in the role, at times - mainly at the end when he had to cry a lot and be all 'why god why?' shouty, it was rather uneven.

Epicly depressing ending, as if a Brit had written it. Although at least it was something different...had I been in that situation, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger until I saw those things drawling on the car - JUST IN CASE.

The bible bashing freak bitch infuriated me immensely...so I guess the acting was solid there, then. But it just pissed me off too much that all that was not enjoyable to watch, it just became a chore to wade through the utterly babaric God Wrath Bunch who relied on rhetoric and adjectives and finger pointing ... if it had just been pulled back a bit, it would have been easier to sit through - and therefore bettered the film.

At times it did feel like a TV movie, zoom twitches feeling out of place, some of the scenes and how they were covered etc...and the CGI things of course. It swung from good moments, to cheesy moments, to annoying moments, to more good moments, to depressing, to "well it was nice they didn't end it like some Hollywood garbage".

One of the better King adaps I'd say, solid enough, but a bit wobbly around the mid-rift.
    **SPOILERS**
    The ending was a bit ham-fisted and didn't feel very realistic. No real desperation for example. And the number of bullets was so contrived it was rediculous. Why not at least dodge the contrived number of bullets by having only 3 for example, and them working that out!

There were just too many poorly written bits as well... They're in the middle of a bunch of bugs, under attack, but don't mind that all crouching down on the ground to look after and treat one of their injured party with little concern for the onslaught around them...

Still enjoyable, bit of a shame though...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yeah, but it was soooooooo close to the original story. A few changes but nothing big. Some scenes were shot for shot direct translations.(the tenticle scene!!!) I loved the movie. It did look a bit TV movieish from time to time. But overall,
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Am I the only one on here who laughed during the ending?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Am I the only one on here who laughed during the ending?
    It was just too cliche!

If I had been writing that ending, I wouldn't have dared leave 4 bullets in the gun for 5 people! Tooooo predictable/weak! You would have to do one of two things:-
    1) Only have say 3 bullets so two of them survive, along with issues that arise from that.
    2) He shows them he's putting FIVE bullets in the gun, shoots FOUR bullets, but he's infact put one empty casing in there pretending it was a live round, and had been the 'hero' for being the one left behind but pretending about enough bullets!

Overall the ending just wasn't written well enough (or acted well enough) to pull it off. No one seemed very bothered about the situation, and as a father myself, the premise of having to shoot ones own son would be absolutely beyond horror, but this just didn't pull that off!

ps: When the truck drove by, who was on it? Was it the mother who'd run off at the beginning (& made it to her kids after all)? It wasn't the people from the store was it?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK

I like your idea about faking a fifth bullet with an empty shell, nice idea that.

Also, aye it was that woman who wigged out and left the store at the beginning. Didn't see any of the ones they left behind in the store, I hope all those bible-abusing murdering psychopaths got eaten.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    must. see. immediately!

Administrator

England
    Love the adverts suggesting "one of the most shocking movie endings EVER!"... Hmmm... BOLLOX!

It's certainly a cliche one, a not particularly well written one and a mediocre acted one... Shocking nah! The previous three issues would have to be cleared up for that!
    -Carl Sagan