Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: whats your latest 360 achievement

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Im with capn, queers of war is absoltuly awful.. it was the first game i got on the 360 (it came with my console) and ive hated it since, its one of the worse and the most overhyped peices of **** ever.

Never has anything been so overhyped since clive sinclair went home to his wife and said "honey, ive got an invention thats gonna replace the car!" and never have i played such a crappy, tacky lifeless game in my whole life, i would rather sit in a park on a hot sunny day playing with dog turds all afternoon than play GOW for 2 minutes.

And yeah i got some good quotes from my MSN convo with capn regarding this in there.
    *cough halo3, any final fantasy title cough*

So, I guess top tier graphics, gameplay, level design, and combat make a piece of **** game eh?

Gears is easily one of the best video games ever made. My only real complaint is the over use of the A button, and many functions it took over could have easily been tied in with anouther one. Oh, and how linear the single player campaign is, and it's length.

although, I will point out, I would not state that the game is over hyped or aweful, and i'm sure plenty of critics will agree with me here. Infact, i have yet to see any truly damning reviews of the thing.

Although, I suppose your and capn's hatred of GOW is like mine of the Wii.

United States
    Andy, your achievements show you didn't get past the first level in Gears of War. Why not get a little further before judging it so harshly?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo
    *cough halo3, any final fantasy title cough*
    Also vastly overhyped games, but GOW definatly is in the same catergory.

Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    So, I guess top tier graphics, gameplay, level design, and combat make a piece of **** game eh?
    Graphics i'll give you, they are good.. but graphics alone do not make a game good. gameplay is dire.. you even admit in your post, all you do is mash the A button.. level design? good? ive seen amiga games with better level design, we're supposed to be in the 21rst century now.. and combat? what? where? i think i blinked and missed it.

Gears is easily one of the best video games ever made. My only real complaint is the over use of the A button, and many functions it took over could have easily been tied in with anouther one. Oh, and how linear the single player campaign is, and it's length.
    You have just contradicted yourself by naming two of its biggest flaws, you are aware of that? one of the best video games ever made? is that sarcasm? i wouldn't even put it in the top 1000 xbox360 games.

although, I will point out, I would not state that the game is over hyped or aweful, and i'm sure plenty of critics will agree with me here. Infact, i have yet to see any truly damning reviews of the thing.
    Look up the defination of overhyped as you have just contradicted yourself again

Although, I suppose your and capn's hatred of GOW is like mine of the Wii.
    The one quote of yours i agree 100% perfect on, you are never going to dissuade another person of their opinion. ever.

Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Andy, your achievements show you didn't get past the first level in Gears of War. Why not get a little further before judging it so harshly?
    Why dont i wade a little further into a sewer before i decide it stinks? becuase i dont need to.

United States
    downloaded the original doom on the marketplace. after playing the first level, i got 3 achievements:

clean slate (kill all enemies in a level) 5g
    neophyte (complete any level on "hurt me plenty" or higher 20g
    scout (find a hidden area) 5 g

United States
    Why dont i wade a little further into a sewer before i decide it stinks? becuase i dont need to.
    Because it's like listening to the first 2 tracks of an album and calling it bad. You can't really form a constructive criticism against something if you haven't experienced the majority of it. Also, how can you call Halo 3 overhyped when you've only played about a dozen games of multiplayer, the core reason why 99% of people buy Halo? You seem to have a habit of reviewing games without getting the most out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut
    Top cutscenes, mediocre battles, just a shame the player dies every 10 seconds.
    So you hold the game in low regard because it's challenging? Right.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 04-Apr-2008 at 11:41 PM.

United Kingdom
    I didn't like (or want to like) CoD 4 the first time I played a few missions, I went back to it a few months after and it rocked balls. This alone has inspired me to try and replay some of the games I never bothered with and see how I like them now.

On Gears of War: For me GoW wasn't really groundbreaking (except in graphics for the time maybe) but I don't think it tried to be anyway. I just found it damn good fun, a nice break from games that tried to be groundbreaking in one aspect or another but just failed. Gameplay-wise I think it likens to Stranglehold, another game that was arcadey and I just had a lot of fun playing.

As I've said before in this thread or another the formula felt much like a return to 'old school' shooters, except with a whole team of ridiculously muscular protagonists instead of just one.
    Last edited by Craig; 05-Apr-2008 at 02:20 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    got 50 for wastign 30 minutes of my life on the bring down the sky expansion to amss effect.

30 mins...from START TO FINISH.

AND I ****ING PAID FOR THIS.

because it might pick up later?, i mean geez, i at least got to lvl 4 in that piece of **** army of two before i finally gave it a the tramp stamp of disaproval.
    Last edited by Danny; 05-Apr-2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

capncnut
    So you hold the game in low regard because it's challenging? Right.
    Well, I like a game to be FUN. Hence the saying 'fun and games'. GOW was a chore to me - get from A to B without being destroyed. You pop your head up for more than 2 seconds and you're a goner - repeat to fade - that is not fun to me. Same ol' monsters, same ol' weapons, same ol' bloody storyline. I did enjoy the cutscenes and was really only playing the game so I could see more of them. By the time I reached Act 3 though, I was seriously BORED.

Another game I don't find fun is Splinter Cell. You got to sneak all over the place to kill one person (it would be easier to just walk up to the character and blow him away) but if you so much as knock over a bottle, it f**ks up the last ten minutes of play and it's game over.
    Last edited by capncnut; 05-Apr-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Administrator

England
    Because it's like listening to the first 2 tracks of an album and calling it bad. You can't really form a constructive criticism against something if you haven't experienced the majority of it. Also, how can you call Halo 3 overhyped when you've only played about a dozen games of multiplayer, the core reason why 99% of people buy Halo? You seem to have a habit of reviewing games without getting the most out of them.
    No thats completely different.. your telling me you have never played a demo of a game or played the first few levels of a game, then decided that its not for you? bull****. everyone has done that.

Also i can call halo 3 overhyped becuase it was.. everyone knows it was, the amount of people raving on about it and how it had to be owned and was set to be the game of the year, we got it and it was another mediocre FPS game. im not saying its a bad game but its not good either in any way.. call of duty 4 kicks its ass online and bioshock is a far superior single player game.

Super Moderator

UK
    Jesus Christ Andy, calm down ... they're only videogames.

As for GOW - woo.

I did find it to be very challenging at certain points. The first Beserker battle had be cursing up a storm, I was about ready to (to use Bam's words) just go into the woods and cuss.

However - finally got past that, and then got stuck at the petrol station bit for f*cking ages. Once I got past that though, it was smooth sailing.

I wasn't dying every 10 seconds, but certain bits I found to be preposterously annoying - mainly those two examples - otherwise I found it to be quite entertaining, it had my heart in my mouth at certain points (like the final boss, which I did in one try).

I do like that it wasn't trying to be some mythical land mark of gaming, it's importance has kinda been thrust upon it a bit. It's just an arcadey-like shooter with a bunch of mountain-sized men fighting mountain-sized aliens.

There were flaws, but ultimately I totally dug it.

Although I would like it if games had an optional cheat mode in them, in case you get utterly stuck at some point, you just turn that on and do the level with God Mode or something. Because failing 50 times and swearing up a storm isn't fun ... also it's personal preference.

I don't play games for the challenge, I play them for the story, action, to see what you can do, the graphics and such like. But that's me personally - and yes, if it's multiplayer or online, I never-ever-ever-ever cheat. So f*ck off and leave me be, I'm NOT getting into that f*cking retardedly lame conversation with you lot again, it's flogged-horse territory...there's already a bunch of maggots wriggling around...

Anyway...oh yeah, this is an achievement thread ... erm ... no new ones yet.

Although I've downed 4 Big Daddies on BioShock so far and saved 3 little sisters - aye - I'm being a good boy.

And is it just me, or is it a little bit heart-breaking when you've killed a Big Daddy and the little girl is crying over his/it's body calling him/it "Mr Bubbles" and such...

Reminds me of the first teaser trailer for the game, f*cking superb so it was, a real mix up of "who is the good guy?"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post

Another game I don't find fun is Splinter Cell. You got to sneak all over the place to kill one person (it would be easier to just walk up to the character and blow him away) but if you so much as knock over a bottle, it f**ks up the last ten minutes of play and it's game over.
    now that i understand, ill take metal gear solid 1 or 2 any day.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    now that i understand, ill take metal gear solid 1 or 2 any day.
    Word. MGS1 takes a dump on all the other stealth games put together. Name another game where you can zoom in on a chicks ass and have her say "hey, stop that!"

Super Moderator

UK
    Blech, MGS kisses me chuddies so it does.

I'm in the Splinter Cell camp.

Don't wanna get into the usual two-brick-walls arguing thing, but SC is for me. And if you save at frequent times, it doesn't matter if you balls something up - that's what I did during all of them, particularly Double Agent as it was the first I wasn't playing on the PC (which means no cheats - again, I'm interested in the stories and what you can do).

w00t for Sam Fisher.

Anyway, just putting my view out there, don't want a whole bloody hoo-hah about it for christ-sakes, I'm not saying people aren't allowed to like MGS, who do you think I am, China?

United States
    If a developer could bring the strengths of both Metal Gear (great story, cutscenes and environments, but sub-par gameplay) and Splinter Cell (great gameplay, but the stories from each game have been forgettable), I'd be in heaven.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I'll add my definitive opinion of GoW....

its ****e....

nuff said!

However I never played the multiplayer which everyone says is better, so I may a bit short of info!