Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Kinect 'fastest-selling device on record'

Administrator

England

Microsoft Kinect 'fastest-selling device on record'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12697975

Personally, it seems to have great novelty value, but I really don't see it as a worth while controller? But I;ve only had limited time with one, and don't own a XBox!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but isn't there only a select few games for it? I'll be sticking with the wii for "exercising" game playing until the Kinect drops in price and there are more games. At this point it seems like a gimick. Like home theater 3D...
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Mar-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    it cost more than my ps3, even if i was interested in the casual game line up i have a wii for that, i can only assume this is the console equivalent of the ds, the surge in sales arent from people who already play games a lot y'know? more power to them but its not my thing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Sold, or shipped?

Was hearing about this on YouTube earlier, IGN Daily perhaps, and they said shipped, which isn't sales. Even still, there'll be a considerable number of novelty purchases, but the Wii has a considerable number of people who've bought it and gotten over the novelty, so it'll be the same with the most mispelled product on the planet - the ruddy Kinect.

Personally I've got zero interest in waggling my arms around like a hallucinating monkey on benzodiazeprines on some novelty cutesy game. I want to sit on my arse, in a chair, with a joypad in my hand mashing buttons with my thumbs like a normal, evolved person.

Super Moderator

United States
    My girlfriend picked one up not too long ago and it works and registers movements extremely well! Way better than I had imagined possible. Not my exact cup of tea, but every once in a while getting the blood pumping while playing a game has been fun.

So none of you own a Kinect? Does this mean I can lay claim to the title HPOTD Dance Battle Champion?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    So none of you own a Kinect? Does this mean I can lay claim to the title HPOTD Dance Battle Champion?
    If that's the title you want attached to your name, by all means....go right ahead.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    My girlfriend picked one up not too long ago and it works and registers movements extremely well! Way better than I had imagined possible. Not my exact cup of tea, but every once in a while getting the blood pumping while playing a game has been fun.

Super Moderator

United States
    Bassman, you've given me food for thought <insert goatee-stroking smilie here>.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    I remember when you originally posted that and it's still just as funny. That said, I'll reiterate: as someone who had very low expectations, Kinect has been a pleasant surprise. Is it stepping stone tech that doesn't really matter to most regular users at a practical level? Yup.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Great numbers for Microsoft! I'm still not interested, but I wouldn't mind buying it if the software was more compelling. The first wave of games were there to get people interested in the technology, not necessary for deep gameplay experiences.

With E3 less than 3 months away, hopefully they'll have something to show for the grizzled gamer crowd. Not that they need to, as they could ride the casual wave as high as Nintendo did and never look back. Should be interesting.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    for the price it definitely needs some bigger names game wise. I've got move and was sold on resi 5, heavy rain and killzone 3- but then again it cost me a bit less than the price of a single game, not a single console so it wasnt like they had to try as hard to pull in the gamers who will keep it afloat when nintendo shits out whatever the new hotness will be next and draws the family crowd back in.

United States
    I'll just add this: we picked up a Kinect for my son and his 360 - he used it the first week to play Kinect games. After that, he used it more for voice commands to his xbox (I had no idea it did this!) and using it as a mic to talk to his friends on XBL (he was sick of wearing headsets). Most of the time I see him playing his Xbox, he's not using the Kinect. I think it was just a "novelty" thing for him. Sorta like the Wii is to him now.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    After that, he used it more for voice commands to his xbox (I had no idea it did this!) and using it as a mic to talk to his friends on XBL (he was sick of wearing headsets). Most of the time I see him playing his Xbox, he's not using the Kinect. I think it was just a "novelty" thing for him. Sorta like the Wii is to him now.
    Oddly enough, I've never even tried the voice commands or used it for chat...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Sorta like the Wii is to him now.
    Although I've talked a bunch of shit about the wii in the past....I'll usually defend it these days. It doesn't get too much play in my household, but it's fantastic for parties. Something as simple as wii sports will entertain for hours when you've got drunk people swaying around and getting irritated.

I've also enjoyed the mario and Ghostbusters games, but I say the system is worth having for just parties or get togethers. Loads of fun...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Although I've talked a bunch of shit about the wii in the past....I'll usually defend it these days. It doesn't get too much play in my household, but it's fantastic for parties. Something as simple as wii sports will entertain for hours when you've got drunk people swaying around and getting irritated.

I've also enjoyed the mario and Ghostbusters games, but I say the system is worth having for just parties or get togethers. Loads of fun...
    man if they patched the ghosbusters game on the ps3 to work with move that would be shit hot.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    man if they patched the ghosbusters game on the ps3 to work with move that would be shit hot.
    Although I preferred the realistic 360/ps3 versions of the game, the wii version was loads of fun. How could it not be? You get to physically struggle against the ghosts and roll out the trap! It's like a lifelong dream come true.

I wish I would've made one of those wand adapters for the wii controller, though....
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Mar-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: .