Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'The Happening' - oh dear!

Administrator

England

'The Happening' - oh dear!

I had high hopes for Shyamalan’s new film, 'The Happening', but having read a review of the script it sounds utterly UTTERLY terrible!

The link below contains some big spoilers so read at your own risk...

http://goneelsewhere.wordpress.com/2...script-review/

ps: Please take the usual precautions posting stuff on this forum that might be considered a spoiler!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I noticed this guy didn't mention how he got the script. Does he have any credibility? I'm not really expecting much because I haven't really liked M. Night's past few films...

I didn't read the spoilers, but the trailer made the film look decent. On the other hand, I'm sure someone good at editing trailers could have made "Glitter" or "Batman & Robin" look good.

Fiji
    Meh, thus far i've liked everything he's put out. The village was a little lackluster. but what the plot lacked the art direction more than redeemed.

i've seen this script reviewed elsewhere and while some of the plot elements seem on par with what AICN or CHUD have published. this review seems like a ****tard's guide to making fun of Shyamalan.

Administrator

England
    More bad news... http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36786

Some of the ideas sounds great. People just gone mad and scenes where people are shooting themselves in the head, the gun falls to the ground and the next person just picks it up and shoots themselves, and the next person then calmly picks it up... etc...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    WOW, Mark's performance was horrible, really really horrible. Well I will take that off my list of must sees this summer.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I had high hopes for Shyamalan’s new film, 'The Happening', but having read a review of the script it sounds utterly UTTERLY terrible!

The link below contains some big spoilers so read at your own risk...

http://goneelsewhere.wordpress.com/2...script-review/

ps: Please take the usual precautions posting stuff on this forum that might be considered a spoiler!!
    High Hopes? Are you INSANE? Shamalamadingdong hasn't put out a decent film since Sixth Sense, and all his other craptastic flop fests have been riding Sixths fame for all it was worth. I vowed NEVER to see another Shamalamadingdong film after I forced myself to sit all the way through the Village. I am still scarred from that monumental waste of film, time and life.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    Shamalamadingdong .
    Gee. How original and funny.

I've still got a slight interest in seeing this film. Whalberg's performance in that clip did seem a bit "off", but I don't think that will hurt the entire film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i haven't been interested in this guy's movies for ages. the sixth sense was a transparent snooze fest as far i am concerned. one of those "hype" movies. boring.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    i haven't been interested in this guy's movies for ages. the sixth sense was a transparent snooze fest as far i am concerned. one of those "hype" movies. boring.
    I've never liked Sixth Sense as much as most people did, but I loved "Unbreakable". You should check it out if you haven't seen it. It's not what I expected at all.

Undisclosed
    High Hopes? Are you INSANE? Shamalamadingdong hasn't put out a decent film since Sixth Sense, and all his other craptastic flop fests have been riding Sixths fame for all it was worth. I vowed NEVER to see another Shamalamadingdong film after I forced myself to sit all the way through the Village. I am still scarred from that monumental waste of film, time and life.
    I agree with you 100% except that it took you until The Village to realize what a hack director this guy is. You should have known by Signs.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i loved signs.

bite me, even mel "sugartits" gibson did a good job in that.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i loved signs.

bite me, even mel "sugartits" gibson did a good job in that.
    Nobody is saying that you can't like Signs, though that doesn't change the fact that it's a ridiculous movie. Anyone familiar with Living Dead cinema should recognize a poor siege film when they see it.

I didn't care for The Sixth Sense all that much either--certainly not worth the endless parade of lame "twist-ending suspense/thrillers" that Hollywood found necessary to produce in its wake. It's too bad The Sixth Sense's success overshadowed the far superior though lower-budgeted Stir of Echoes.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Gee. How original and funny.
    Hehehehe, I get a kick out of it every time I see it.

Administrator

England
    I enjoyed Unbreakable and Signs (even though it was flawed - a great ride)
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Sixth Sense--Was awesome, in my opinion.

Unbreakable--Well conceived, shaky execution, but solid acting.

Stuart Little--Haven't given it a shot, but it got solid press and made good bank.

Signs--Had some really nice elements to it, didn't like the resolution to the film, but *LOVED* the score.

The Village--Great film about human motivation and the power of choice, but poorly marketed to make people think it would be an actual horror film.

The Lady in the Water--Have not been able to get into it

The Happening -- Worth giving it a shot, as far as I'm concerned.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany