Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many of them, not enough ammo!

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Too many of them, not enough ammo!

Hello, been gone for a while, completed a few big projects and got stuff done, back for a visit.

OK, so here's something I used to put numbers and distance in perspective when it comes to writing and thinking about the living dead. It's a silly exercise, but an eye opener.

While on a short drive at dusk on a weekend...not a week day when there's lot of traffic, but go a few miles in the suburbs and count the headlights that you meet oncoming. One pair of headlights equals one walker...I figure that this is a good indication of interval and numbers for scattered living dead through the same area, if you're moving rapidly on foot...why? Why not? This gives you a small percentage of the number of people in an area, perhaps as many as would be wandering the streets after our collapse...it's not overwhelming, so it seemed reasonable. Just count the cars coming toward you in that short distance for thinking about later.

Anyway, I figure that even as a good shot, I'd need maybe four or five shots to snap shoot a low moving but small target at closer ranges. What shocked me is within a half mile or so, with a few dozen cars coming my way, I realized a person would be emptying magazines regularly...going a mile or so with even light traffic, I couldn't carry enough magazines to go a few miles. Even at night the traffic might astonish you. This doesn't take in to consideration fatigue, weather, fear, and the fact that once you start firing everyone of them that's mobile will come toward you.

It's a silly thing to do but if you just count the cars on the road and realize that in the suburbs and urban areas there's multiples of people out there, it almost makes the notion of shooting your way out pathetic.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Holy sheyat! tom martin rides again.

how has everything been out in washington state? still keeping miscreants behind bars and all that?
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Glad to see you back Grim. Your input and knowledge was always a big help. Hope you stick around.

Fiji
    welcome back fukker.

your point works but it's also a variable. initially the math would hold up, but you also have to factor in multiple shooters, unless were getting into some rambo ****.

Even just a two man element should be able to press forward by leapfrogging unless your dealing with a medium to large sized crowd. but then a group that size i'd assume you'd see or notice it coming and would be able to either withdraw, find shelter, or elevation to work from too then thin the heard at a slower pace. having said all that if cornered to jumped by a large size crowd yeah ammo would be a concern real damn quick.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    welcome back fukker.
    Where do you put the comma?

welcome, back fukker or
    welcome back, fukker

Calling Grim a back fukker on his first post in the new forum is just poor manners.

JUST KIDDING

It is good to see a familiar face. Welcome back, Grim.

Administrator

England
    Welcome to the new forums, i hope your stay is enjoyable.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I am factoring multiple shooters...

Suppose you're out there with P2501...I can see having to pull him back and reminding him, the small end goes toward the living dead, the broad end goes against the shoulder...then there's the mirth factor...I can see aiming in on an especially horrific looking one and P2501 tapping you on the shoulder urgently...you turn and he snickers "You better not miss!"

I counted one evening and I was shocked! In some areas you can't make a kilometer without expending more magazines than you can carry!

Undisclosed
    I've always thought a super sharp sword would work well, like a samurai sword. Hands reach for you, gone, then the head. As long as they're spread out pretty good.

Fiji
    wait wait, the barrel goes downrange?

the guys at the range had me holding it sideways. but then they've been telling me that sites are for pussies anyway, so yeah.....

anywho. i dunno i ran the numbers last night just on the town i live in and i think the numbers are managable, but then i'm optomistic.

also do you wanna field the cuttlery question?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    I've always thought a super sharp sword would work well, like a samurai sword. Hands reach for you, gone, then the head. As long as they're spread out pretty good.
    And you'd be worn out in 2 mins!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fiji
    that or the sword would get stuck .

or it would break.

or bend.

or he'd drop it.

and then fall on it.

or overswing and then hyper extend his wrists (i saw that done once, yeeseh).

all of these would be quality viewing.

Undisclosed
    I'm talking one of those really expensive high quality sharp as a razor swords. I think those may be very durable. I'm sure I'd be a little winded, but I'm also saying that they are spread out and slow. I don't see a problem if you're in reasonable physical shape (above slob but not hercules). I'm thinking the type of situation where you don't have to run, like in Night 90. You could just walk around killing. Something else would have to be invented for crowds, like a mobile tree shredder.

Super Moderator

United States
    Sharp as a razor swords dull quickly and still are open to breaking fairly easily. Certainly most steel mill repro katanas and the like would break fairly quickly with regular use.

I'll take a nice distance weapon in a common caliber and a lead pipe for when all else fails, thank you very much.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    If you're going for universal caliber, then 5.56mm would be the recomended choice (at least in the US), it's the general type used by both police and military.

Enviornment of engagement would depend on what kind ammunition would be carried. In close quarters, such as inside buildings, you'd want to be using short barreled shotguns and pistols. In suburban areas, everything except long range rifles would do fine. I could go on, but you get the idea.

(A blunt weapon, with appropriate tactics to maximize its effectiveness, would be far better than a sword. Blunt weapons can be made with relative ease also)

So you've come back Grim. Any plan on swinging by the fiction section any time soon?

Scotland
    The samurai sword would do the damage but, as already mentioned it would have to be sharp and not a replica.

If I had to go with a blade it would have to be a heavy duty machete, one thats about a fill arms length with a heavy head. (BTW don't google machete for a picture )

You have the argument that you would get tired after awhile using it but if you use it sensibly it would be OK (Hit the back of the neck to sever the spine, leg joints and you can take them to the floor, then run like scooby doo!). Also you generally don't get replica machetes so they should be made to last.

I would also have a short stabbing sword or large knife in the other hand, this would be used for eye stabs and if possible right through the throat to hit the spine in the back.

I'm considering this from a UK point of view and ruling out items you be lucky to get (Just give me a Battle axe and a sadistic smile ), if I was in the US I would be tooled up with every gun in the store.