Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [REC] - Spanish zombie film

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Edit: I have zero interest in watching an American remake.
    I think the original guys are involved so you never know, they may fix what didn't work so well, and improve on what did
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think the original guys are involved so you never know,
    Are you new? Of course we know--no one can point to a single Hollywood remake that has ever worked better than the original, and life is simply too short to be wondering around U-Never-Knows-ville.

England
    I just don't see how you remake a Spanish movie in America, do you take US actors to Spain and shoot it there, or transplant the movie to the US and pretend it is in Spain or set it in America altogether (making it an just another American movie?).

I'd rather watch the original with subs, and look at it as a recovered record of the event.

That said, I will watch the remake if I enjoy the original, but I can't see it being better somehow.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    There is a foreign language movie that was remade in English by the same director - basically shot-for-shot in English - and apparently, according to Total Film anyway, it's 4 out of 5 star stuff.

Most likely down to the director himself returning and just doing the same movie in English ... "funny games" I think it's called...ain't seen it though, so who knows, could actually be a gash re-languaging...but you never know.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Are you new? Of course we know--no one can point to a single Hollywood remake that has ever worked better than the original, and life is simply too short to be wondering around U-Never-Knows-ville.
    Ermmmm.
    The Thing.
    The Fly.
    Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think the original guys are involved so you never know, they may fix what didn't work so well, and improve on what did
    Care to share with us what you thought worked and what didn't?
    Last edited by kidgloves; 31-Mar-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Ermmmm.
    The Thing.
    The Fly.
    They were all American movies to start with, I believe that "hollywood" butchered Jap movies like "the Ring", "The Grudge" etc
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    The Thing.
    The Fly.
    Those were remakes of 20-30 year old films, in all cases, updates by skilled directors and even so, you had to go backward more than 20 years to find a good example.

It should have been obvious following The Ring that remaking contemporary films with English-speaking casts because the Hollywood bean counters believe audiences are too stupid to sit through a movie with non-Caucasian actors and subtitles is an unbelievably lame approach that does not deserve an "open mind" or a "wait and see" attitude.

The bottom line is the talentless hucksters that run the industry won't stop treating audiences like sheep until audiences quit acting like sheep and demand a better product.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 01-Apr-2008 at 04:15 PM.

United States
    I hate to say it, but I prefer The Ring to Ringu. Ringu was good and all, but the Ring was just better at deliveing the creepiness. Now the Ring 2 however was a putrid bucket o' vomit. The Grudge was also quite good. But I liked Ju-On about as much. The Grudge 2 however was a putrid bucket o' . . .well, you get the idea.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Just grabbing this right now with original spanish language and english subtitles

Seen a teaser trailer for this a while ago and got the impression that it was a ghost story of sorts and forgot all about it, so thanks for the reminder and i will be checking this out in about 22 minutes

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Give us your honest opinion DD

Undisclosed
    Excellent film, but don't believe the hype. It's an effective horror-thriller with a very good blend of P.O.V. realism and stylized set pieces, but it's far from the scariest movie ever made.

The only part that sucked ass was the end credits and "retardead" choice of music. Truly an MTV jackass moment if ever there was one.

Super Moderator

UK
    My thoughts on the flick:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/04/rec.html

Over all I liked it, despite several annoying issues, both for the film in general, as well as a filmmaker watching this entry into the 'FPS/POV horror' sub-genre.

Undisclosed
    How's the gore? Is there any cannibalism involved? And finally, are these the infected or undead?

Super Moderator

UK
    It's not entirely clear, it's definitely not GAR zombies, but it's not particularly plague movie - like 28 Days Later - they run around and scream a lot and are quite viscious ... so I duno really ... I think they do die, but it's not exceptionally zombie-movie either.

It's like some weird kinda hybrid...duno how to explain it really.

Oh and yes, the end credits song - some awful 'rawk' track, completely saps all the residual tension from the final moments. Such an incredibly poor choice - NO music would have been better.

It's not exceptionally gory either, but has enough to go around. It's more about tension and setting up the situation, gore just happens to be there from time-to-time, rather than everything stopping for a couple of minutes while some eager FX guys wheel in a truck-load of blood.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    How's the gore? Is there any cannibalism involved? And finally, are these the infected or undead?
    There's plenty of gore, IMO, though not overly done. It's used to enhance the situation rather than steal the show.

As MZ said, it's not entirely clear if these are living dead or infected or both. It certainly takes a lot to bring down one of the bastards, that's for sure. I enjoyed the ambiguity, and the "scientific" explanation was just enough not to become tedious.