Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [REC] - Spanish zombie film

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

Exclamation [REC] - Spanish zombie film

I just finished watching this and it's incredible, best rage/zombie/cam movie i've seen yet, I haven't seen Diary yet so mayperhaps Diary will top this one but REC right now is where it is at!

While covering the night shift at a small-town fire department, an ambitious young television reporter (Manuela Velasco) and her cameraman follow the crew on a call to rescue an elderly woman unable to escape the inferno that is consuming her home. Upon their arrival at the scene, the calm midnight air is pierced by the sound of horrific screams, and the television report takes an unexpectedly dark turn.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    umm is there an english, latin or norwegian (subtitled) version of this? otherwise fook it.

i frakked around with enough languages in college and spanish is a language i would rather die than even pay attention to.
    Last edited by Mike70; 25-Mar-2008 at 03:04 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    umm is there an english, latin or norwegian (subtitled) version of this?
    Yes English cause thats how I watched it, and yes I believe Norwegian subs also but probably better to wait for the actual dvd release to find out for sure and from what I know that shouldn't be to far off cause I don't think the US will see a theatre release

Super Moderator

UK
    If there's a DVD with dubbed English, I'm there.

I can't be doing with subtitles, I like to watch films, not read them. Especially a movie such as this (so I'd imagine anyway) where you have to be concentrating on the entire image, not the bit at the bottom to read the text and try to keep up with the visuals.

Personally subtitles just annoy me. Dubbing can be done really well sometimes, and that just makes for an easier experience.

Administrator

England
    Old thread - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ead.php?t=8620
    It's being remade - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    If there's a DVD with dubbed English, I'm there.

I can't be doing with subtitles, I like to watch films, not read them. Especially a movie such as this (so I'd imagine anyway) where you have to be concentrating on the entire image, not the bit at the bottom to read the text and try to keep up with the visuals.

Personally subtitles just annoy me. Dubbing can be done really well sometimes, and that just makes for an easier experience.
    I find dubbing usually detracts from the film for me. Usually with 5-10 minutes I find I've actually forgotten I'm reading subtitles...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

Undisclosed
    Doesn't look all that great, but that reporter is nice looking. I don't understand the obsession with these kind of movies

Super Moderator

UK
    I find dubbing usually detracts from the film for me. Usually with 5-10 minutes I find I've actually forgotten I'm reading subtitles...
    Other way around for me. I'm distracted cos I have to keep dropping my line of sight to read the friggin' text. Reading a movie is a daft to me as watching a book (by which I don't mean a movie adaptation, I mean literally watching a book sat on a shelf or something ).

All that effort put into the visuals and the acting and the editing and so on, and you're missing it all because you're focusing on the bottom third of the image.

Now, an English language movie with some subtitle - like Indiana Jones or something, where you cut away to some Germans or something, that I don't mind at all, for one thing it separates the characters and adds another dimension.

If you're watching a film and it's all one language, why not have it dubbed to your native tongue? English-lingo flicks are always dubbed for foreign markets, nout wrong with vice versa I say.

Administrator

England
    If you're watching a film and it's all one language, why not have it dubbed to your native tongue? English-lingo flicks are always dubbed for foreign markets, nout wrong with vice versa I say.
    As another argument then... All that effort that has gone into finding just the right actors (voices) for the parts, and writing exactly the rigth dialog in the script.

When dubbed, the voice acting is rarely as good - the moment has been lost! And the dialog is kicked around to try and lip sync it, so the meaning can be lost a bit as well.

There's arguments for both dubbing and not dubbing... I've generally found though I personally prefer the subs
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    True enough, sh*te dubbing is bad. But dubbing can be done really well too.

I think ultimately, there should be BOTH options to reach the widest audience, rather than remaking a whole frigging movie just to have it in English like lame-ass Hollywood no-talents do, what-with all those Japanese movie remakes.

Anyway...

I must say the dubbed version of "Versus" works really well, heck the lead sounds way better dubbed. He's all macho hero, but his real voice doesn't suit that image at all, but the dubbed voice does.

If it's just entertainment, and not some character study, then dubbing is best. If it's character intensive stuff, like some drama or something, then subtitles probably work best (for some at least) - but then again, you're missing out on the visual performance, the looks in their eyes, their body lingo etc...

Ahhhh the double-edged sword of foreign films ... the entire globe should just adopt English as a language because it's blatantly the most awesome-est.

Undisclosed
    I must say the dubbed version of "Versus" works really well, heck the lead sounds way better dubbed.
    That might be true if anything in VERSUS worked, period. As it stands, it's a pathetic excuse for "motion picture" with no redeemable value whatsoever.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    as always thanks for the info Neil, I can't wait to see what changes if any they make for the US version remake cause REC stands on its own

England
    Another thread here incase anyone missed it

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ead.php?t=8696

Very good movie. Terrifying in parts and i haven't said or felt that for a long long time.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Another thread here incase anyone missed it

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ead.php?t=8696

Very good movie. Terrifying in parts and i haven't said or felt that for a long long time.
    That's exactly what grabbed me and I posted it the same night I got to watch it

United States
    I watched this movie without the subtitles, I speak only a little spanish, and the movie creeped me out BAD!! I loved it. Can't wait till I can actually see it and understand it.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

England
    I'm really looking forward to this one, it does look like a good movie.

I'd prefer the original Spanish soundtrack with English subs to be honest though, re-dubbed movies lose something in the translation IMO.

Edit: I have zero interest in watching an American remake.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon