• American

26 81.25%
  • European

6 18.75%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Films: American vs. European

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i say europe because, aside from georges movies, the u.s has produced a plethora of crap on a scale that dwarfs the other countrys combined.
    plus theres some great asian and aussie ones too, how do they figure?

ViP

United States
    I'll have to think on this one.

Sure USA has Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Return, Dawn 04...

But Europe has Zombie, Dellamorte Dellamore, Hell of the Living Dead (!), 28 Days/Weeks, Zombie Holocaust, Nightmare City Burial Ground...

I'm going to have to side with Europe on this one, for sheer bulk alone.

Australia
    Take Romero out of the equation and the US has little left to offer. I dig ROTLD but I'm not keen on these zombie action films like the DAWN remake or the RESIDENT EVILs. They're just too routine with a mainstream sensibility that doesn't interest me.

I love the European stuff, whether its skillfully made (DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE), hiliarously absurd (NIGHTMARE CITY) or a combination of both (Fulci's flicks).
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Undisclosed
    Have to go with American to be honest. Romero is the king that basicly gave the world the flesh eating ghoul and has been copied all over. Aside from him the U.S. has had a few good zombie films but not to much near that tier.

Europe, as others have sad, has movies like Shaun (I love the movie so much), Zombie and so on and so forth. Good movies, but at the same time I think the average film is lower. There is less plot and to me the characters seem a bit more idiotic. Not in all of them, at worst thye are just straight rip offs of Romero films, or just gore fests. I enjoy most of them, no question but overall they fall into a lower average.

Now there are also some truely dreadful American independent zombie films. And many of those are more recent and I think some of them make me want more 80's Italian zombie films...

United States
    You know. . .I have to point this out. 28 Days later is a European flik. . yes. . But Weeks is a hollywood movie through and through.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    But Europe has Zombie, Dellamorte Dellamore, Hell of the Living Dead (!), 28 Days/Weeks, Zombie Holocaust, Nightmare City Burial Ground...

I'm going to have to side with Europe on this one, for sheer bulk alone.
    Don't forget Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (The living Dead at Manchester Morgue).

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i say europe because, aside from georges movies, the u.s has produced a plethora of crap on a scale that dwarfs the other countrys combined.
    plus theres some great asian and aussie ones too, how do they figure?
    I really wanted to include the assuies in this because of Dead Alive, but unfortunately, that is all they had to offer (right?)

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    I really wanted to include the assuies in this because of Dead Alive, but unfortunately, that is all they had to offer (right?)
    Undead

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ^ you beat me to it, for theproduction values of it undead was a bit more professional than some independant zombie flicks and i really enjoyed it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, Undead is fairly big on the indie scale I'd have thought, but it's a bloody good movie I say. I really enjoyed it.

Not that it's at all a zombie movie, but because it's also an indie horror flick with good comedy - Evil Aliens - it's a Brit film, a good laugh, I re-watched it recently and it's still solid fun, check it out if you fancied Undead.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Take Romero out of the equation and the US has little left to offer.
    But you can't leave Gar out of the equation.That's not right.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    You know. . .I have to point this out. 28 Days later is a European flik. . yes. . But Weeks is a hollywood movie through and through.
    The creative team behind 28 Weeks Later are mostly european. The director is spanish. And IMDb lists it as a "UK / Spain" film, So, there ya go.

Undisclosed
    But you can't leave Gar out of the equation.That's not right.
    Nope, because if you take him out than I have good money that none, or they would be very different movies, European or American movies would have been made. To be honest they are top tier of zombie films that everyone agrees on. At best the best american or zombie movies that are not GAR are on the second tier, and IMO there are alot more plotless Euro movies. Not that I don't like them and everything, but overall I think many are bad, and yes there are lots of terrible U.S. zombie films. Loads of them.

The creative team behind 28 Weeks Later are mostly european. The director is spanish. And IMDb lists it as a "UK / Spain" film, So, there ya go
    Probably, so. I know the first one was anyway. Its sort of hard to tell with many British films anymore. Much of the film industry there is so intertwined with Hollywood that it becomes difficult to say what movie is what. I mean I think parts of the Dark Knight were made in Englund and parts of soley British looking films are made in the U.S. Although I agree with what you are saying, but they only come into the talk if we are using all living or dead zombies going at it. I like the 28 movies though. Pretty good.

But Europe has Zombie, Dellamorte Dellamore, Hell of the Living Dead (!), 28 Days/Weeks, Zombie Holocaust, Nightmare City Burial Ground
    Just a curious question more than anything but am I the only one who did not like Dellamorte Dellamore at all. Hell of the Living Dead as nothing specal and so on. Not knocking them to much. I mean I own them and watch them from time to time and love them, but for the most part those movies are enjoyable because they are so cheesy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    does everyone else count the serpent and the rainbow though?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    does everyone else count the serpent and the rainbow though?
    I wouldn't count that. I would only count "living dead flesheaters" plots as part of this particular genre.