Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heat on Armored Vehicles

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Choas View Post
    If you watch the extras on the dvd,Gar himself talks about writing the script for land just after 9/11.
    However... You do know there was a James Gunn Draft of Dawn as early as Jan-Feb 2002. GAR's Land script didn't start making its rounds until 2003 and that was after the DAWN remake was greenlit.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    The reason for leaving the mall never sat right wiht me. Also the montage of them getting the buses ready was pretty cheap. BTW, I've never seen a mall carry some of the supplies that they use on those buses....
    I agree their reasoning for leaving the mall was flawed. However, re-enforcing the busses was needed. Even if they didn't leave the mall that moment, you know eventually it would have had to occur.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 08-Apr-2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    I thought the overall idea: the necessity to make the vehicles at hand capable of safely traversing a landscape transformed by the civilization-blasting effect of an undead plague, made more than enough sense.

A lot of the equipment used in the process, despite previous protests to the contrary, could be found in a large mall, especially the vehicle bays of an all-purpose anchor store that might offer auto repair and service (think Sears). I couldn't find a list of the stores in the Dawn remake mall. Admittedly, I haven't tried too hard.

I never really had a problem with the montage, however, its presence definitely pushes the film deeper into the action-popcorn genre and detracts from any sense of seriousness.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I couldn't find a list of the stores in the Dawn remake mall. Admittedly, I haven't tried too hard.
    maybe the reason for that is the mall used to film the dawn remake was the old thornhill mall in suburban toronto. it was demolished shortly after filming and has been replaced by the ultra modern promenade mall.
    Last edited by Mike70; 10-Apr-2008 at 02:51 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    BTW, I've never seen a mall carry some of the supplies that they use on those buses....
    The Mall would still have a maintenace area where janitoral supplies and hardware for everyday repairs to the mall (for handyman jobs such as replacing benches, lights, etc). Plus, in most Malls there always seem to be at least one store lot that is either undergoing extensive remodeling, or construction.

On the other hand though, I've never seen Mall security guards carry firearms. Since the movie didn't bother wanting to explain where the guns came from, I doubt they'd want to waste time explaining the tools.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EDukes View Post
    On the other hand though, I've never seen Mall security guards carry firearms. Since the movie didn't bother wanting to explain where the guns came from, I doubt they'd want to waste time explaining the tools.
    Pretty sure I've seen a few armed guards at shopping malls before, but they are usually unarmed. One of the malls near where I live has a police substation right in the mall.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Undisclosed
    I cant figure how they didnt use some stuff in the stores like rc toys and helium ballons to send Andy some food ,and get themselves some needed supplies from his shop.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SBEADER View Post
    I cant figure how they didnt use some stuff in the stores like rc toys and helium ballons to send Andy some food ,and get themselves some needed supplies from his shop.
    I know! I've been saying the same thing for years. How about using a guidebook or atlas from the book store to really figure out whether there's islands out there instead of just speculating!? Maybe they decided to do that after the fact, but that just bothered me. Well, that and not sending an RC chopper with a cut of brisket over to poor Andy.

But, I just tend to let that stuff slide a little, as the final third of the film has a lot of these little errors. I still enjoy it quite a bit, though.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England

That my friend, is excellent thinking.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    Were theres a will theres a way lol.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    the real thing i wonder about is why they didn't firebomb the whole area in front of their point of exit before they opened the doors to make getting out and building up some speed easier.

Firebomb usually use glass? They'd have to think of a way without using that!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

Undisclosed
    Sounds like they needed MacGyver!

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Choas View Post
    I don't like the bues becuse,I think they'll a cheap rip off of Dead Reckoning from land.
    Oh my god. I hope that was a joke.

They used the dog. It worked fine untill a zombie got inside the door and got Andy. 'rc toys and helium ballons' are you serious? Gee why didn't they tie some machine guns on the chopper in the original Dawn and kill all those bikers before they could get into the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Sounds like they needed MacGyver!
    hahahahahaha damn that's the show I was thinking of. hahahahaha That's so funny.
    Last edited by Redman6565; 02-Jun-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    helium party ballons and a rc helicpter or 2 secured to a cooler would get 50 pounds back and forth the 1500 yards from the mall to the store easily.A preist in south america tied a bunch on a lawn chair 2 months ago and got at least a few hundred miles.As to mounting guns on a helicopter in the original dawn they had little fuel and really nothing worth mounting.Utilizing the trucks as weapons would have been a much better idea or better yet useing one of the bulldozers in the truck depo.Guns would only be used as PDWs ,heavy equipment and baiting into trap areas would be the only logical way large numbers of zombies could be eradicated.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    helium party ballons and a rc helicpter or 2 secured to a cooler would get 50 pounds back and forth the 1500 yards from the mall to the store easily.A preist in south america tied a bunch on a lawn chair 2 months ago and got at least a few hundred miles.As to mounting guns on a helicopter in the original dawn they had little fuel and really nothing worth mounting.Utilizing the trucks as weapons would have been a much better idea or better yet useing one of the bulldozers in the truck depo.Guns would only be used as PDWs ,heavy equipment and baiting into trap areas would be the only logical way large numbers of zombies could be eradicated.

You're thinking with the GAR zombies coming at you not the Dawn '04 zombies. A bulldozer would be over run by these things. You wouldn't last 3 seconds. By the way, while everyone is talking helium ballons and rc helicopters, who was going to drive this buldozer? This isn't something that you jump in and take off with. Also, fliying an rc helicopter isn't as easy as adding a freash battery or nitro and up you go. Go fork over a few $100 and you'll see what I'm talking about. You may think these things are toys and take nothing to get up and going, that just isn't the case. What the people in the movie did was what they could do. As far as leaving the mall for an island, why not? Maybe they saw the original Dawn. lol

I still say the way to kill large numbers of zombies would be with one of the larges now plow trucks. If you can drive it. Wow that'd be fun. Now that would be the person to keep a live, the guy that can drive the plow truck.

Undisclosed
    Bulldozers at least cat versions are armoured,they have a safety cage and 2 inch lexan windows plus remesh cage over the windows. The rc helicopter/blimp is a 5th grade project at most the only challenging part would be amplifing the rc signal wich would require 15 minutes with a soldering gun and 2 or 3 walkie talkies to drop along the way to use as a signal relay net if the cell system was down.A couple of passes thru the mall parking lot would be all she wrote for the 10 to 20 thousand zombies in the parking lot.A truck could be flipped over or literaly stoped in its tracks by enough people a 49 ton steel tracked dozer isnt going to have that problem inertia and gravity would see to that.