Thread: Any Oblivion tips or tricks for me?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

Any Oblivion tips or tricks for me?

I've literally just gotten into this game...and have now officially disowned my friends and family to play it 24/7...I love it...why walk around a real forest when you can do it in Oblivion and find a Wayshrine or Doom stone? Just makes sense to me....

Does anyone have any tips or interesting and useful things they've found whilst playing the game? Anything you did that you regret that affected the game that I can avoid? Literally anything you can remember that might be of use, I will greatly appreciate...

Made any funny names for weapons or armour? I'm trying to keep it sensible but couldn't resist calling my trousers "Greaves of the Gab" due to their speech enhancing properties....
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

capncnut
    Rumare Slaughterfish outside of the Imperial City. Don't go killing them unless you have been given the specific quest to kill them because it glitches in mid-quest and you can't finish it.

Secretswise, you'll find a giant Nirnroot in a small pond in Skingrad and a unicorn is located south of the Imperial City at a place called Harcane Grove.

When you have finished the game, start a new one and collect as many paintbrushes as you can (get about fifty). When you drop them, you will notice that they suspend in the air because they have no weight. You can actually jump on them and make a kind of ladder, so go to the Imperial City Temple District and make a ladder by the council chambers (you will need to save frequently to prevent falling accidents). When you are well above the structure, jump into the open centre. You will need full health because you will take some damage. Inside is a door sticking out of the ground - open it. Wait 24 hours then leave and you should be at the final part of the game (which I wont reveal as you are still playing) and you will have completed the main quest of Oblivion in less than an hour or two.

Oh, and there's this.

Last edited by capncnut; 01-Sep-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yes, I have a tip.

If you're on the computer, download Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul 1.3 and start a new game if you have too.

What that does is simply improves, the game, alot. The "levelling" system is gone, so that all weapons that you find are automaticly at their highest levels. And you can wander around and find strong monsters over there, and easy monsters over there. Much like any other RPG. I love Oblivion, but what I really hated was having to face bandits running around in glass and daedric when I reached the higher levels. Just seemed silly. This mod adds so incredibly much to the game that!

Also, another thing for the PC: Darnified UI. This one you won't have to restart the game for. All it does is improves the HUD to make it much more PC friendly. Basicly, it shrinks the sizes of the fonts so that it becomes less Console looking and more PC looking.

I love modding games, and these two are essential whenever I fire up Oblivion again. But then again, you might want to play your first character completely vanilla, and then add these two mods just to notice the difference (But I recommend both of them strongly!)

Other than that? I guess there's nothing really to recommend. Just dive in and do whatever you like. I hope you've found the extreme importance, or at least pleasure, of Sigil Stones? Because I love collecting those.

Oh and buy a house. They're useful for storage. There's one in every city. The cheapest one is in Imperial City, then Bravil, then Leyawiin. Then I think it's Bruma, Cheydinhal, Chorrol and Skingrad. Anvil has a nice, good house for a cheap price (5000, I think) but there's a small quest attached and I can't remember if you can buy furniture.

Oh yeah, and something else. Buy yourself an alchemy set and start making potions. Just for the hell of it. Once you get into it, it's really fun AND you level up your alchemy like crazy, which gives you the option to choose nice Intelligence bonuses, whenever you level up.

capncnut
    Oh, and something else. If you are given a quest to find a specific item but somehow find a duplicate of said item - DON'T pick it up. One or two quests have gone pear-shaped for me bugwise because of this.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd also like to tell ya to not rush any questlines.

I've had this game since it was released in, what, 2006 or something? That's 3 years now. I've played it alot, and I still do. But I still haven't completed any quest lines beyond the Arena, the Main Quest, Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles.

That means that I still have the Thieves Guild, Fighters Guild, Mages Guild and Dark Brotherhood left. How did I manage this? Well, the game is so frikkin' huge that I just never came around to it. I like exploring more!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    That means that I still have the Thieves Guild, Fighters Guild, Mages Guild and Dark Brotherhood left. How did I manage this? Well, the game is so frikkin' huge that I just never came around to it. I like exploring more!
    Same here, bud. I've not even done the main questline. I've had a week on, a month off, basically I didn't blam the shit out of it because I knew it would probably seem like a chore if I went for the whole enchilada.

I like adventuring and exploring and have roughly half of the map uncovered. That's how I roll it. I'm still enjoying Oblivion now and I'm gonna have a major sesh on it this weekend.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, I'm gonna fire it up for another game sometime soon. But right now I'm playing Fallout 3, and well, I guess I'll have to wait until I finished that one again. But love those two games. You can just keep coming back for more. Especially since between characters I take a pause of about 6 months or so, and during that time lots of new cool mods come out and by the time I start it up again, I'm going for something new. Never played a mage, for instance, so that's what I'm gonna do next time.

Can you imagine what retirement will be like in the future? With games like these!?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Rumare Slaughterfish outside of the Imperial City. Don't go killing them unless you have been given the specific quest to kill them because it glitches in mid-quest and you can't finish it.

Secretswise, you'll find a giant Nirnroot in a small pond in Skingrad and a unicorn is located south of the Imperial City at a place called Harcane Grove.

When you have finished the game, start a new one and collect as many paintbrushes as you can (get about fifty). When you drop them, you will notice that they suspend in the air because they have no weight. You can actually jump on them and make a kind of ladder, so go to the Imperial City Temple District and make a ladder by the council chambers (you will need to save frequently to prevent falling accidents). When you are well above the structure, jump into the open centre. You will need full health because you will take some damage. Inside is a door sticking out of the ground - open it. Wait 24 hours then leave and you should be at the final part of the game (which I wont reveal as you are still playing) and you will have completed the main quest of Oblivion in less than an hour or two.

Oh, and there's this.

I knew that was a screamer vid!! I just knew it! Damn you!!!!!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I knew that was a screamer vid!! I just knew it! Damn you!!!!!
    The trick is - every time you watch a video linked to by someone in a forum: watch it first with the sound off so you don't get a fright.

Also, when the poster is Capn, as an extra precaution I'd watch it through your fingers so you can cover your eyes if it's a 2girls1cup or goatse.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I paused the video when the video told me to look really close, because the secret was small and hard to see.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Same here, bud. I've not even done the main questline. I've had a week on, a month off, basically I didn't blam the shit out of it because I knew it would probably seem like a chore if I went for the whole enchilada.

I like adventuring and exploring and have roughly half of the map uncovered. That's how I roll it. I'm still enjoying Oblivion now and I'm gonna have a major sesh on it this weekend.

Oblivion is definitely a game you can out on the shelf for a while and then break it out every once and a while and not miss a beat. It works because there's relly no other game like it. When you have a jones to play a game like oblivion there's really no where else to go but back.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"