Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'The Hobbit' - Yes! Yes! Yes!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    **** yeah, i dont know who else could pull off gandalf as well as ian mckellen does.

ViP

United States
    Now they just need to lock up Hugo Weaving as Elrond and John Rhys Davies as Gimli's father (was it Glowin? I forget). I guess Arwen could make an appearance. I guess Ian Holm is too old now, but his portrayal of Bilbo was awesome. A young Dudley Moore would have been perfect, as well as a young Michael J. Fox.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    so if the second movie is going to tell the story of the 60 years between hobbit and fellowship that raises a plethora of possibilities. you could take that in so many directions - the story of aragorn (with a younger actor playing aragorn) and the rangers intertwined with his meeting arwen, along with the story of gandalf, the dissolution of the white council, and sarumans growing obsession with the ring. many, many possibilites.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

ViP

United States
    According to studio New Line, the first film will be an adaptation of The Hobbit and the second will be an original story focusing on the 60 years between the book and the beginning of the Rings trilogy.

AWESOME!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    so if the second movie is going to tell the story of the 60 years between hobbit and fellowship that raises a plethora of possibilities. you could take that in so many directions - the story of aragorn (with a younger actor playing aragorn) and the rangers intertwined with his meeting arwen, along with the story of gandalf, the dissolution of the white council, and sarumans growing obsession with the ring. many, many possibilites.
    It starts to get scary though! We might end up with a contrived mess like the new Star Wars films - desperately trying to try the threads together between two fabrics, one new and one old...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It starts to get scary though! We might end up with a contrived mess like the new Star Wars films - desperately trying to try the threads together between two fabrics, one new and one old...
    Hopefully there is enough written word to flesh out the years. I'm not sure what exists though, and hell, what would be the climax to part 2?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    oh then they gotta have tom bombadil in it

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Hopefully there is enough written word to flesh out the years. I'm not sure what exists though, and hell, what would be the climax to part 2?
    most of the stuff that would comprise part 2 would be from the timelines in the appendices to return of the king or from the "tale of aragorn and arwen" also included in the appendices of return of the king.

personally, i'd love to see a movie (or series of movies or mini-series) about the second age that specifically focuses on numenor, culminating in the founding of gondor and arnor and the struggle against sauron that took place in the second age. the numenoreans are by far (in my humble opinion) some of the most interesting people in the whole middle earth cycle.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Viggo Mortensen in The Hobbit!? Well the second film thing they're talking about which isn't actually the Hobbit, but is part of the Hobbit production... Oh I'm confused!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Viggo...bbit-8896.html
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Bah!! Not excited about that second movie. Seems like it will be all the parts I fast foward through in the current trilogy. Every flashback to Aragorn and Arwen, just makes me cringe.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Bah!! Not excited about that second movie. Seems like it will be all the parts I fast foward through in the current trilogy. Every flashback to Aragorn and Arwen, just makes me cringe.
    Yeh, those plot bits can get a bit difficult to follow and all
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Plot hell!!!

There is a reason those bits were thrown into the apendixes in the novel. Boring and sappy. Bleh.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Plot hell!!!

There is a reason those bits were thrown into the apendixes in the novel. Boring and sappy. Bleh.
    I enjoyed it... Without that, other elements of the film wouldn't have stood so well. For example when Elrond was trying to diswade Arwen from her relationship with Aragorn (due to his mortality etc) - You had to see a reason for her to throw away so much. ie: Their feelings for each other.

Now, if this had been a Hollywood film they would have simply cut the scenes you're refering to, and thrown in a single scene with the couple having sex to show the depth of their love for each other. Remember the beginning of Dawn 04? (That sort of cheep writing/scripting!)

Now given cheep Hollywood approach, or some decent writing/scripting and plot (as we saw in LOTRs), I'd prefer the latter personally...
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Don't get me wrong, I understand why it was in the movie. I just can't stand those particular scenes. Boring and sappy, as I said.

Now how exactly was LOTR not a hollywood movie?