Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Day of the Dead 08 vs Contagium....

United States
    I haven't seen either of them and I have no desire to. I suppose I would be more concerned at which one would burn easier/longer. That way I could put it to use to keep me warm at night and maybe to cook something to eat!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Since Contagium is not a remake, shouldn't it get disqualified from this match?
    I dont even think Contagium qualifies as real Movie honestly!

Definately cruel and unusual punishment. The actual living dead would'nt even touch this flick! Even Bubb would be like "F******CK THAAAAT !!!!!"

I'd rather take my chances with Night 30th Edition too!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic79 View Post
    I'd rather take my chances with Night 30th Edition too!
    No. No you wouldn't. It's bad enough making a shitty film. There is some degree of excuse that can be given for making shit. Not much, but a little. I can even give some wiggle room for films that have nothing to do with the original but use the original title to cash in on the film's fame.

But, for someone to take an original and go back and completely mess with it and insert scenes that have nothing to do with the story with the worst high school drama class students available, inserting the 1999 Anton LeVay look-alike contest winner as a deranged minister for no apparent reason, and erasing an amazing soundtrack in lieu of absolute shitty computer generated music -- this is blasphemy of the highest order. This is mortal sin in my book and the people responsible for this deserve great wrath.

I would rather suffer the fate of a Lucio Fulci character in one of his films and have my eyes gouged out by zombie's while having my face melted off with acid and then cough up my internal organs as opposed to have to face the horror of ever witnessing NOTLD 30th ever again.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States

Kuntagium

Thanks. Your cool JDFP.

Well I have seen NOTLD 30th. Yes,it is quite the let down. Had a lot of promise and seemed really exciting(in the video store)-but,flop!

But I am collector of all things NoTLD related,and I cracked-lol. I also own at least 5 different copies of the Original. Not counting the later incarnations of NIGHT.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    No. No you wouldn't. It's bad enough making a shitty film. There is some degree of excuse that can be given for making shit. Not much, but a little. I can even give some wiggle room for films that have nothing to do with the original but use the original title to cash in on the film's fame.

But, for someone to take an original and go back and completely mess with it and insert scenes that have nothing to do with the story with the worst high school drama class students available, inserting the 1999 Anton LeVay look-alike contest winner as a deranged minister for no apparent reason, and erasing an amazing soundtrack in lieu of absolute shitty computer generated music -- this is blasphemy of the highest order. This is mortal sin in my book and the people responsible for this deserve great wrath.

I would rather suffer the fate of a Lucio Fulci character in one of his films and have my eyes gouged out by zombie's while having my face melted off with acid and then cough up my internal organs as opposed to have to face the horror of ever witnessing NOTLD 30th ever again.

j.p.
    I was having a discussion about this with someone in St. Louis. We pretty much agreed that Night 30th is a total shit fest from start to finish, except for one scene. The zombies coming out of the darkness led by one of the waitresses from beakmans diner. They approach the wrecked car and begin eating the dead occupants. This to me was the only shot in the entire list of newly shot footage that was worth a damn, otherwise everything else was just crap.

I can't believe George didn't fight more to stop that from happening. I remember watching Cinemax late one night back in 98 and they were on the set for this re-shoot stuff and George was there, but goddamn... how could he not see they were completely fucking it up.

Having Bill Hinzman trying to play the cemetary zombie 30 years after the fact was not only the dumbest fucking idea I had ever heard about or witnessed, but having the preacher and news reporter at the end made it even worse.

After seeing that I lost a lot of respect for John Russo, a lot of respect. I pretty much can't forgive anyone involved with that, nor can I cut any slack because it was a bad idea and poorly executed from start to finish.

I remember talking to Mike from Ancor Bay about it up in Toronto when we played zombies in LAND and Anchor Bay was pissed when they witnessed was they were given, and even madder they spent $300,000 on those reshoots.

What I do find quite funny though is that when you go to a convention, no one from Night has a 30th anniversary DVD on their tables. You mostly see the Weinstein Release or The Millenium Edition. I prefer The Weinstein Release simply because the remastering job was superb, superb enough for me to shell out $14.99 just to own that version for the PQ alone. I am hoping they release the Weinstein 40th remaster on Blu-Ray since it is the best looking version of Night. Take that cut of the movie with the Special Features from the Millenium edition and you have got yourself a slice of fried gold.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    What I do find quite funny though is that when you go to a convention, no one from Night has a 30th anniversary DVD on their tables. You mostly see the Weinstein Release or The Millenium Edition. I prefer The Weinstein Release simply because the remastering job was superb, superb enough for me to shell out $14.99 just to own that version for the PQ alone. I am hoping they release the Weinstein 40th remaster on Blu-Ray since it is the best looking version of Night. Take that cut of the movie with the Special Features from the Millenium edition and you have got yourself a slice of fried gold.
    Unfortunately there are people around today, who have bought/watched Night of the Living dead, and watched the 30th Anniversary Edition not realising it's not the 'proper' version...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Unfortunately there are people around today, who have bought/watched Night of the Living dead, and watched the 30th Anniversary Edition not realising it's not the 'proper' version...
    Just as there are people that watch the Dawn and Day remakes, yet have no idea that they're actually remakes. It's a shame, really...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Just as there are people that watch the Dawn and Day remakes, yet have no idea that they're actually remakes. It's a shame, really...
    Or worse still, think they're associated with/representative of the originals..
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Are you saying that Night 30th Anniversay Edition is not the original?

I know this is gonna make me sound like a moron... but it is what it is.

When I first saw Night 30th I didn't know anything about it. It was just on TV one night so I decided to watch it. I figured the 30th Anniversay Edition must be some kind of director's cut or something. The inclusion of the original cemetary zombie supported that mindset.

Of course I was like wtf'ing all the way through. Especially the ending. Serious head scratching. I was like, "Is that really the story they wrote? Wow... I can see why they changed it."
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    But, for someone to take an original and go back and completely mess with it and insert scenes that have nothing to do with the story with the worst high school drama class students available, inserting the 1999 Anton LeVay look-alike contest winner as a deranged minister for no apparent reason
    Interesting point on the minister, everytime i see NOTLD30th the bald guy from the old command and conquer games springs to mind. everytime.

Nobody else notice this?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Interesting point on the minister, everytime i see NOTLD30th the bald guy from the old command and conquer games springs to mind. everytime.

Nobody else notice this?
    OMG... he does. Jesus
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I thought he looks like this guy:

Or this guy:

Last edited by BillyRay; 13-May-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.