Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "I Am Legend" - No! No! No! Nooo! Nooooooo! No!

Administrator

England

"I Am Legend" - No! No! No! Nooo! Nooooooo! No!

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23128

Will Smith is likable and all, but his involvment with this project to me means teen-friendly-wise-cracking-flick rather than ominous and scary!

Kurt Russell! Not in "Snake" mode obviously, but in his "real person" persona like in "Breakdown".
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Well, this certainly is bad news!

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil

Will Smith is likable and all, but his involvment with this project to me means teen-friendly-wise-cracking-flick rather than ominous and scary!

Kurt Russell! Not in "Snake" mode obviously, but in his "real person" persona like in "Breakdown".

i like the idea of this movie. frankly, The Omega man was a fair adapation (for the time), and given the depth of the source material, i'm skeptical about anyone providing a decent modernized interpretation. so let see just how bad they can louse this up.

I want to see just an utter train wreck of a film, with Wil Smith tossing catch phrases left and right, a dog side kick named "matheson". lots of slow motion explosions. maybe a Humvee driving through houses, and of course an airstrike or three.

Undisclosed
    Is having Wild Wild West fastbacks.....

Banned User

United States

Will Smith as Robert Neville?

I always thought Gary Oldman would be perfect for the part.

They must be catering to teens for this one.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    forgive my squirelly ignorance but what the hell IS "i am legend"?, i thought it was one of those lame as fantasy films from the 80's like willow.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing
    forgive my squirelly ignorance but what the hell IS "i am legend"?, i thought it was one of those lame as fantasy films from the 80's like willow.
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson is about a guy trying to survive day-by-day while the world around him has slowly, but surely become the populated by nocturnal, bloodsucking creatures that used to be human. All of this brouhaha was caused by an unknown plague that swept through the world.

Matheson's novel is pretty much the story that really had a heavy influence on Night of the Living Dead. You could say that I Am Legend is the very first zombie (GAR-style) story, but without the zombies.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Christmas Island
    W. Smith is the kiss of death to anything he stars in. Indy Day, I Robot, WW West. His starring in films is not so much to appease teens as it's to appease idiots who like annoying, pain-in-the-ass leads in their movies.

United States
    This news really isn't too much of a surprise. In one of the other failed attempts to make this film, Will Smith was attached to star as Neville before the director bowed out and the project went into limbo. I think if they keep strictly to the script Smith would do well. But if the director and the screenwriter buckles down and allows Smith to improv then whatever tension and dread they're trying to make goes down the drain of hip-hoppery slang and witticism.

To me, this film will sink or swim depending on how they treat the outsiders trying to get to Neville. Will they make em more zombie-like or make em the vampires they really are.
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    First there was the vandalism of the Evans City graveyard, and now this...

The end is nigh.

Administrator

England
    You've never seen "The Omega Man"? It's based on "I Am Legend"...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    You were probably thinking about "Legend. " a Ridley Scott (Alien) directed, Tom Cruise vehicle, where Darkness (played with gleeful evil by Tim Currey ) threatens a mythic land of elves, unicorns, and a hot princess (Mia Sara, Ferris Bueller's Day Off )

Wayne Z
    "This ain't no midnight Horror show, or creature double feature, babe. "

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim
    You were probably thinking about "Legend. " a Ridley Scott (Alien) directed, Tom Cruise vehicle, where Darkness (played with gleeful evil by Tim Currey ) threatens a mythic land of elves, unicorns, and a hot princess (Mia Sara, Ferris Bueller's Day Off )

Wayne Z
    "This ain't no midnight Horror show, or creature double feature, babe. "
    Should add another hot to Mia Sara's description, or maybe preface hot with smoking.
    --- Batman

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    You've never seen "The Omega Man"? It's based on "I Am Legend"...
    of course ive seen omega man, thats like someone never seeing logans run, its just not done.

ViP

United States
    I think the best adaptation to date of I am Legend is The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price. It is much closer to the novel.

As for Will Smith, I got over that news long ago. If they decide to go hokey with the script, it won't be Will Smith's fault. Will is a damn fine actor and if they give it the proper treatment, he can pull it off.