Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow. This movie was crappy.

Undisclosed
    I agree with most of what has been said...here comes the except...

I find that the writing is what is truly lacking here...not the acting...not the cgi...not the smart Zs. I just don't think people talk and act the way they are presented in these movies. It is true this is closer to a sci-fi original. I like diary but did not love it. I disliked land only due to the big baddy doing his yelling...blah! I also thought these things are driven only out of hunger not revenge???

Oh well...maybe some one else will write a new fresh look at this...like maybe...I don't know...world war z?

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    It's crazy how polarizing these two films (Land and Diary) are within the fanbase. I guess it's a product of waiting two decades after Day. I bet we'd have been a lot easier on them if they followed quickly, but then again, I was 11 when Day came out.
    I can't stand Land, and liked Diary...certainly didn't love it, especially after viewing it twice more on DVD. Both seem like extremely dumbed-down compared to their predecesors. The alleged "political comentary" is way to elementary -- perhaps GAR just thinks the audience is stupid -- and there are way too many moments that are more Friday the 13th than what made this series so great.

Undisclosed
    lest we forget that people hated day when it came out too. with time and more viewing i bet money that these films earn respect and embrace one day. i hated day when i saw it for the first time. then i gave it another chance and it grew on me. same with land. diary i automatically loved cuz i could feel romero's brilliance within it. and yeah, the acting isn't up to hollywood standards but... c'mon. i think we can all agree that dawn is a great movie and yet has some of the worst acting in the world.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyDilemma View Post
    I'm sensing quite the opposite actually. It seems like people are regarding what is a decent movie at worst as garbage simply because George Romero's name is attached and because it falls short of his older works.
    If that's the case then they're just GAR haters and they lack credibility on the subject as well. The door swings both ways you know.

I'd like to know what was so decent about it? It was a bunch of the same things we've seen before. Topped off by the now infamous disbelievers who need to be convinced that these people are inded dead by the classic shooting/stabbing a ghoul in front of a room of said people charging "you think this guy is not dead!?!", or a varition of such? That did it for me. Come on GAR, ypour better than that dude. Very disapointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Hoosier View Post
    Darth: I agree 100% that GAR peaked when he made Dawn. Nothing that he has done since has even come close. I've made this comparrison before, but it's just like George Lucas with Empire...and he didn't direct that either.
    You'd like to think that someone like GAR -- and/or Lucas -- would season favorably with age, but they haven't. Just like we all wanted the Star Wars prequels to be more than what they were -- a Sith was just OK -- Land of the Dead was a miserable, misguided, brain-dead film. While I like Diary, it too suffers from dialogue that should've never made the final cut and situations that were questionable.
    When you make films with the sheer power and life-influence like Dawn -- or Empire -- I guess there's nowhere to go but down. The problem is that most of us were kids when we saw those films, and we've become more critical and enlightened in the ensuing three decades.
    When GAR passes, so will my caring about anything in the horror genre. I'd like to see one more masterpiece for us to remember him by...but the odds of that happening are long.

Talk about it!!! Hi five!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    I find it funny how people attack Land when it comes to the zombies getting smart. If you go back and watch all the Romero movies zombies always were some what smart. In Night they used tools like rocks to smash a car window. Or did everyone forget that scene?

My guess Land falls some where around that time line.

(which seems to be scene that is over looked by fans whom hate the smarter zombies in the Land movie).

Well, I've said many times that there's no doubt that the ghouls have always been relatively intelligent. But, in all those films and examples therein ( with the exception of maybe bub) all the smarts they exibited was in the pusuit of food. A base instinct. In land it went somewhere else. They weren't interested infeeding anymore, that in turn was a curveball that many fans couldn't connect with.

Looks like we got anther one for the timeline debate guys!!!

And no one forgot the basement matricide scene dude.

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Ssshhhh, we've got all the DIARY bellyachers confined to one thread. Don't stir the pot by disagreeing with them.
    Now, now. Sticks and stones. If there was difference of opinion then we wouldn't have much to discuss now would we? There would just be the thread starter and a bunch of "i agrees" and "right on brotha's" that followed it.

In turn one of the "bellyachers" could easily charge in kind that the GAR "apologists" are coming out of the woodwork in order to defend a film with little to no redeeming values. On the bright side atleast NOTLD 3D was exponentially worse.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Now, now. Sticks and stones. If there was difference of opinion then we wouldn't have much to discuss now would we?
    It's the quality of the opinions that is lacking. It's not discussion, difference or debate, it's bellyaching.

"Sticks and stones" <---If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It would be nice if actually made some points in order to defend your position. But maybe that's expecting too much. You've posted in this thread a few times and haven't said much of anything. Way to add to the dialouge. Calling people bellyachers is much easier i suppose. You must come from the hillary clinton school of thought that if you say something enough times (as in a film is good when in reality it's actually crap) people will believe it.

If you read my post, you'd see that i answered people point by point.

I'll make one for you though. The film is garbage, nuff said.
    Last edited by darth los; 26-May-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    It's the quality of the opinions that is lacking. It's not discussion, difference or debate, it's bellyaching.

"Sticks and stones" <---If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
    hahaha A real fan boy. I can watch Diary but it's not a good movie. Even the POV wasn't done well. I think another thing lost on this movie as well as Land was Romero got away from the feeling of tight spaces that the first three movies drove home. Even the POV stuff in Diary didn't give me a feeling of dread. For the Romero zombies to exceed the point of creepy and become scary there have to be large numbers. On the other hand the zombies from the Dawn remake and the 28 Dya/Weeks movies are insane scary. I'd much rather deal with Romero's zombies. Zack Snyder nailed Dawn.

By the way, where was Tom Savini on this one? Maybe he could have helped improve it.

Ssshhhh, we've got all the DIARY bellyachers confined to one thread. Don't stir the pot by disagreeing with them.
    Maybe you should remove your nose from Romero's backside and make a point to defend you opinion. So far you haven't. This was a bad movie and you have done nothing to make your point but cry like a girl. How's that for heat. It was better than Day or the Dead 2 and Zombi3 though I'll give you that much.
    Last edited by Redman6565; 26-May-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    I won't commit and say the movie was horrible. It was definitely not a complete loss. There were some good scenes and some decent tension. Diary actually scared me a bit from time to time(when I could get past the bad dialogue and fall into the movie a bit) I still think I liked Diary a bit better than Land, but not by too much. And Land, as I'm sure you all know, is not exactly one of my favorite movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    What gets me is that if Romero wanted a low budget story to shoot around the time of Night why didn't he turn to Avatar comics. They published a 3 issue run that introduced all the main characters in the Night movie. They also did two one shot books one which gave the history of the littlegirl in the basement that stabbed her mother to death (which seems to be scene that is over looked by fans whom hate the smarter zombies in the Land movie).

If you can find them check them out they offer up some really good background to all the Night characters. Even the old lady that lived in the farm house is in here. Good stuff.
    I dunno, maybe because he wanted to do his own movie?
    Last edited by clanglee; 26-May-2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I won't commit and say the movie was horrible. It was definitely not a complete loss. There were some good scenes and some decent tension. Diary actually scared me a bit from time to time(when I could get past the bad dialogue and fall into the movie a bit) I still think I liked Diary a bit better than Land, but not by too much. And Land, as I'm sure you all know, is not exactly one of my favorite movies.

I dunno, maybe because he wanted to do his own movie?
    I guess he did. Sometimes there are people with a better story to tell hence the Star Wars world.

United States
    Ick, too lazy to repost what i had going here. . .oh well.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Ick, too lazy to repost what i had going here. . .oh well.
    hahaha You're having the same kind of day I am.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I haven't seen Diary but I would defend almost any film in favour of resident evil...that is, quite simply, the worst film I've ever seen....aside from Ultraviolet, res2, res3 etc etc...and I have nothing against MIlla Jovovich but damn she makes some **** flms...

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    It would be nice if actually made some points in order to defend your position. But maybe that's expecting too much. You've posted in this thread a few times and haven't said much of anything. Way to add to the dialouge. Calling people bellyachers is much easier i suppose. You must come from the hillary clinton school of thought that if you say something enough times (as in a film is good when in reality it's actually crap) people will believe it.

If you read my post, you'd see that i answered people point by point.

I'll make one for you though. The film is garbage, nuff said.

A little late for New Yorkers to be bad mouthing the Clintons, isn't it?

A few days after watching Diary, I keep wondering about the layout around the mansion at the end. Had they closed the front gate, could they have secured the whole house rather than just hiding in the panic room? Looking at the security cameras, it seemed the dead were all over the place in a hurry.
    Last edited by jim102016; 26-May-2008 at 09:17 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    A few days after watching Diary, I keep wondering about the layout around the mansion at the end. Had they closed the front gate, could they have secured the whole house rather than just hiding in the panic room? Looking at the security cameras, it seemed the dead were all over the place in a hurry.
    I doubt it would help. There's no telling how many other access points the property had, and they already had a bunch roaming around the poolyard. Could be hundreds already on the property, milling around in the woods for all we know.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    A little late for New Yorkers to be bad mouthing the Clintons, isn't it?

Hey, I'm an independent, not partisan at all and if they're making an insane argument i'm gonna call them on it. She is the Senator from my state. I however did not vote for her. Unfortunately, in the republic we live in we all have to abide by the "tyranny of the majority". It's alot like Prez. Bush. I hate the bastard but he's ALL of our president not just the frightened people who voted for him.

And yeah, they made that place sound like a fortress. When they rolled up on it i was like " there's no way i'd hole up in there, panic room or not. What? All the good shopping malls were closed?