Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Wow. This movie was crappy.

Super Moderator

UK
    I like Diary ... I enjoyed it in the cinema the first time round. The second time round I saw it whilst waiting for the DVD and liked it less, then I got the DVD and watched it a third time and liked it more than the second time, but not more than the first time.

But I still like Diary.

I love Land though.

United States
    I'm a Land lover, too... Diary, however, I have mixed feelings about. The first time I watched it, I felt cheated. I let myself get all psyched up, knowing GAR made the movie, and watching the blurb at the end when he said he was very happy with Diary, because it was like getting back to basics, and seen through a different view with the film students, etc., still made me feel disappointed, and may I add, underwhelmed?
    I'm all for him trying things out, but it just didn't quite work for me, and it's hard to admit that to myself. *Sigh* Lesson of this story - never put film makers up on pedestals...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    I'm a Land lover, too... Diary, however, I have mixed feelings about. The first time I watched it, I felt cheated. I let myself get all psyched up, knowing GAR made the movie, and watching the blurb at the end when he said he was very happy with Diary, because it was like getting back to basics, and seen through a different view with the film students, etc., still made me feel disappointed, and may I add, underwhelmed?
    I'm all for him trying things out, but it just didn't quite work for me, and it's hard to admit that to myself. *Sigh* Lesson of this story - never put film makers up on pedestals...
    I was disapointed in that as well. By "rebooting" the series i thought that he was going to get back to what made the first three films great. And now that he seems to be expanding upon his intelligent zombie angle with the sequel i've lost virtually all hope for his redemption.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States

dangnabbit

After finally waiting and waiting and a firm moment of coherent thoughts I was able to buy Diary of the Dead... and I learned a powerful lesson... there's just some movies that aren't worth buying. I was so grossly bored with this movie I could barely bring myself to finish it. The only good part of the movie was the 'documentarian' who shot film no matter what and didn't interfere with what was going on with his subjects. I thought that was great. Everything else... pretty lame. I love George... I do ... but I just couldn't get into the characters. I thought the story plodded along at a slow witted pace that struggled to keep me entertained. It wasn't hard to anticipate that the beginning of the film would come into play later on... the vast majority of the movie was ultimately predictable and I thought the characters were not only underdeveloped but also uninteresting and cliche. I want my two hours back...

I think Zombi 3 was better... and I'm debating whether to buy Day of the Dead 2 just to see if its better...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I was so grossly bored with this movie I could barely bring myself to finish it...

...I thought the story plodded along at a slow witted pace that struggled to keep me entertained.
    It's interesting that you should say that because those are nigh on the exact words I used to describe it a ways back. Boring. Plodding. I would also like to add unengaging, yawnsome and knackered.

Liked some of the FX though but that's about it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    After finally waiting and waiting and a firm moment of coherent thoughts I was able to buy Diary of the Dead... and I learned a powerful lesson... there's just some movies that aren't worth buying. I was so grossly bored with this movie I could barely bring myself to finish it. The only good part of the movie was the 'documentarian' who shot film no matter what and didn't interfere with what was going on with his subjects. I thought that was great. Everything else... pretty lame. I love George... I do ... but I just couldn't get into the characters. I thought the story plodded along at a slow witted pace that struggled to keep me entertained. It wasn't hard to anticipate that the beginning of the film would come into play later on... the vast majority of the movie was ultimately predictable and I thought the characters were not only underdeveloped but also uninteresting and cliche. I want my two hours back...

I think Zombi 3 was better... and I'm debating whether to buy Day of the Dead 2 just to see if its better...

Good analysis MJ. And you shouldn't have to apologize for not liking a GAR film. I had high hopes for it too after land, but maybe this is just the way things are now. Just makes me appreciate his classics even more.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I really liked the whole new ways to try to kill the stenchies but ultimately I kinda feel like a few new ways to do that wasn't enough. Neither were the cheap shots to get screams. I feel like Romero may well have lowered his standards for this one. Nothing in it felt new or original. I feel confused.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I really liked the whole new ways to try to kill the stenchies but ultimately I kinda feel like a few new ways to do that wasn't enough. Neither were the cheap shots to get screams. I feel like Romero may well have lowered his standards for this one. Nothing in it felt new or original. I feel confused.
    Gar has been way to heavy handed with the cgi stuff. Cgi should be used in only the most subtle of ways or to enhance an already existing conventional effect.

I do think hat he repeated the theme of the film ad nauseum. He didn't need to do that. by the middle of the film i was like "o.k. dude, i get it already". It seemed like filler to me, covering up a shallow hole of a plot/script.

United States
    For sure... when a zombie movie starts to look like it might be a cartoon or Beowulf its time to push eject on the ol dvd machine... my fascination with zombies demands realistic scenes and action... need I demand more?