Thread: Indiana Jones 4 - my thoughts (no spoilers)...

Super Moderator

UK

Indiana Jones 4 - my thoughts (no spoilers)...

No spoilers in the review, which is here:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/06...a-jones-4.html

But here's some other thoughts I had, which are spoilers, that I didn't include in the review, but which might be of interest to those who have seen it:

1) Karen Allen grinning during the car-on-a-tree bit (she wasn't driving down it either) was blatantly because she was chuffed that her gamble paid off and that she proved Indy wrong ... also, when you do something wreckless, your first reaction is to grin and smile and laugh and go "woo" even.

2) Yeah, far fetched - as in lead-lined fridge during the nuclear bomb, or Shia swinging with monkies, or the 3 waterfalls - but it's still FUN. I really enjoyed the whole bomb bit, it was hair raising even.

3) Several times I did feel the peril they were in, often at times involving heights, or there were other times when it was just downright creepy.

Canada
    moar lyke shia ledouche.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    personally its my favourite, i thought shia lebouf was just in because hes a big name right now but he did good and when they were both in profile they actually looked quite similar, i can see him taking over from indy in a few years given how much this ones made.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    No spoilers in the review, which is here:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/06...a-jones-4.html

But here's some other thoughts I had, which are spoilers, that I didn't include in the review, but which might be of interest to those who have seen it:

1) Karen Allen grinning during the car-on-a-tree bit (she wasn't driving down it either) was blatantly because she was chuffed that her gamble paid off and that she proved Indy wrong ... also, when you do something wreckless, your first reaction is to grin and smile and laugh and go "woo" even.

2) Yeah, far fetched - as in lead-lined fridge during the nuclear bomb, or Shia swinging with monkies, or the 3 waterfalls - but it's still FUN. I really enjoyed the whole bomb bit, it was hair raising even.

3) Several times I did feel the peril they were in, often at times involving heights, or there were other times when it was just downright creepy.
    As I said before, but there were too many daft over the top bits (IMHO)...

The truck scene would have been better - I'm sure - if they had gone over by accident, and by sheer luck survived... Driving over on purpose was just utter nonsense, utterly unbelievable and devalued the characters... It shows the problems Lucas has with writing believable and engaging scripts.

But yes, it was a 'fun' film...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It shows the problems Lucas has with writing believable and engaging scripts.

You do realize that David Koepp wrote the script? I'm sure Lucas had a little hand in every part of the film's production, but Lucas takes the credit for the story and the script was Koepp's.

What problems do people have with Shia Labeouf? I thought the guy did a good job. I've enjoyed all of the characters I've seen him play....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    You do realize that David Koepp wrote the script? I'm sure Lucas had a little hand in every part of the film's production, but Lucas takes the credit for the story and the script was Koepp's.

What problems do people have with Shia Labeouf? I thought the guy did a good job. I've enjoyed all of the characters I've seen him play....
    Cos Lucas either, (a) put these scenes in the script, (b) he let them be in the script.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well you can't blame it on one guy alone when it's a collaborative effort. Just because Lucas made the sub par Star Wars prequels doesn't mean that everything wrong in KOTCS is his fault.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Well you can't blame it on one guy alone when it's a collaborative effort. Just because Lucas made the sub par Star Wars prequels doesn't mean that everything wrong in KOTCS is his fault.
    I can't? Watch me! LLUUUCCCCAAAASSSS!!!!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I wanted to decry your review as toothless and a sign of your inevitable decline into a softer, older and more supplicant stage of life & career, but it was very even-handed...even if I disagree with some of it.

Good show & some very valid points, MZ

PS--I still do not like this film.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Soft, old, supplicant? Not a jot, Sir.

I stick by my "was never gonna best Raiders or Crusade, but betters or at least ties position with Temple of Doom" decision.

I will add that of the six of us last night, 2 really didn't like it that much at all. Of the other four of us (me included) there was a variety of different levels of liking and enjoyment.