Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Offical apocalyptic film/TV series thread

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    RE "Carriers", I thought a couple of scenes in it were brilliant though.

The father and daughter being left behind was absolutely soul destroying IMHO!
    I will give you that father/daughter scene, if you will watch Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies.

I mean seriously, hitting golf balls through the windows of the hotel were they were hiding out in was pure idiocy.

Undisclosed
    The Devil's Rain (1975 ) concerned the Prentiss family's ( Ida Lupino, William Shatner and Tom Skerritt ) age old pact with Satan, registered in a book of souls - which had been stolen from the High Priest Corbis by the wife of the first patriach Martin Fife. Centuries later, Corbis wants what's his. Oddly engaging 70's fare with John Travolta ( blink and you miss him, in one of his earliest movie roles. )

In a similar vein, Satan's Triangle ( 1975 ) ran with the 70's obessive interest in the paranormal, and in particular a patch of troublesome waters (allegedly ) off the Florida coast. In the tv movie, Doug McClure is a hotshot Coast Guard pilot in search of an SOS coming from a missing vessel. Once located, he finds a murder scene with multiple corpses and one hot survivor in Kim Novak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPHq-pLhvWM

I really liked this movie as a kid - now - not so much. Race With The Devil (1975 ) is still a cool flick though. Dan Curtis fav, Lara Parker ( from both Dark Shadows and a fun Night Stalker episode about witchcraft in high fashion ) in a bikini weren't bad either.

Wayne Z

Undisclosed
    The best thing with Race with the Devil is that it can't be remade! Due to today's commications technology no amount of "big wind" is going to knock out all cell service.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker was another one of my most favorite shows. Darren McGavin's quirky Kolchak is what made the original show so much fun to watch, especially when he got into yelling matches with Mr. Vincenzo. As usual they tried to do a remake with a "young hip good looking cast" but the abomination got cancelled after only 6 shows.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I mean seriously, hitting golf balls through the windows of the hotel were they were hiding out in was pure idiocy.
    Why? (Can't recall it very well)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Excellent thread!

I've always been a glutton for 80's apocalyptic situations. There are, of course, the commonly known ones like "The Day After" and "Threads" but I don't see too much mentioned about some of the lesser known ones but still excellent and worth mentioning - such as:

"Testament" (1983) - starring Jane Alexander and William Devane (the guy who played the mentor to Kiefer Sutherland on "24") where Alexander and her kids survive the nuclear war relatively unscathed just to see her entire world destroyed by radiation and the gradual breakdown of society. A very young Kevin Costner makes an appearance in this gem as well. The full film is available on youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIW8...eature=related

"Miracle Mile" (1988) is another excellent gem as well where a guy (Anthony Edwards) gets a wrong phone call at a payphone outside a diner and finds out that a nuclear war is going to happen in a matter of hours. Mare Winningham and Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) both make appearances in it as well. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWFoGrrYX6E

"Defcon 4" (1985) is a pure guilty pleasure. Here's the trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVpkrMaobw

Anyway, there are probably a ton more I could mention, but these are some of the great gems that come to my mind.

If anyone has others, please share - it's always good to discover a "lost" classic.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    When the Wind Blows is another classic.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Excellent thread!

I've always been a glutton for 80's apocalyptic situations. There are, of course, the commonly known ones like "The Day After" and "Threads" but I don't see too much mentioned about some of the lesser known ones but still excellent and worth mentioning - such as:

"Testament" (1983) - starring Jane Alexander and William Devane (the guy who played the mentor to Kiefer Sutherland on "24") where Alexander and her kids survive the nuclear war relatively unscathed just to see her entire world destroyed by radiation and the gradual breakdown of society. A very young Kevin Costner makes an appearance in this gem as well. The full film is available on youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIW8...eature=related

"Miracle Mile" (1988) is another excellent gem as well where a guy (Anthony Edwards) gets a wrong phone call at a payphone outside a diner and finds out that a nuclear war is going to happen in a matter of hours. Mare Winningham and Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar) both make appearances in it as well. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWFoGrrYX6E

"Defcon 4" (1985) is a pure guilty pleasure. Here's the trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVpkrMaobw

Anyway, there are probably a ton more I could mention, but these are some of the great gems that come to my mind.

If anyone has others, please share - it's always good to discover a "lost" classic.

j.p.
    You can watch the entire Defcon 4 on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgXZtWArGtA
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You can watch the entire Defcon 4 on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgXZtWArGtA
    You can watch a surprising number of films on youtube. Old and new.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Updated and given some TLC.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Watched "The Last Night" a few days ago, and although it's clunky in places, it really stuck with me for some reason...

I then watch Miracle Mile which I enjoyed, followed by Blindness.

I thougth Blindness was great, and during it I spotted a number of familiar faces from "The Last Night" in it too. eg: Don McKellar appeared in both, and even wrote both (at least the screenplay).

And Miracle Mile was a film scored by Tangerine Dream too
    -Carl Sagan