Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gas Prices, Then & now!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Kinda funny how before 9/11 gas prices were still decent. You're trying to tell me that in 5 years gas prices jumped 200% because of demand. Even the fastest growing economy couldn't up demand high enough to raise the price of gas/crude oil 200%.

one word... BULLSH*T!
    In other words, "yeah you may have a lot of facts and logic and stuff, but come on, gas prices are really high! It's GOTTA be a plot!"

The president, his father and probably most of his administration has their hands deep in the oil business.
    You forgot to mention Karl Rove's Svengali-like mind control powers.

It is simple gouging at the pump. Nothing more nothing less.
    Then why aren't oil company profits *higher*? I already pointed out how if you eliminated oil company profits entirely, gas would only be about 20 cents per gallon cheaper. How do you explain the rest of the difference between $3 gas and your $1.75 "reasonable" price? Couldn't have ANYTHING to do with increasing demand from the developing world, market uncertainty about Iran, Iraq, and Venezuela, and actual curtailment of production in Nigeria, could it? No, it just *must* be an evil neo-con/corporate conspiracy!
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Spoken like a true Republican, maybe you should call the white house and ask for a job.

Save the BS for the ones that are still asleep.

$8.6 billion profit from one company in one quarter... Go over the entire year thats $32 Billion. WTF? wake up and don't be an ass.

It's gouging when they make those kind of profits. Go get your W for 4 more years pin and give Karl Rove his hand job you fit right in with that conservative lot of phuck ups.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Banned User

United States
    You guys make a better living wage then we do in the US. So quit your bitching.

How would you like to make Minimum Wage, like most of the Immigrants do, or school kids do and have to shell out $3.30 a gallon. Plus YOUR gas is more costly because of the insane amount of taxes YOUR government puts on YOUR gas.

I make over $50,000 a year and I still can't make the almighty dollar stretch. So before you start bitching about $6.00 make sure you count all the other stuff us Americans have to shell out for besides our gas. I feel your pain... but don't down play our gas prices because you're paying more. Contact your elected officials and start bitching.

If you sit and say nothing you will continue to be gouged at the pump. You cry cry cry about what you pay, but I bet not once did you pick up the phone to complain to your elected officials about it.
    The government also taxes us to death. 28% of my paycheck goes to federal, state, social security.etc. We should have lower gas prices. I do not see why the government does not step in and do something about this gas issue. I do not see how these insane prices can be justified
    Last edited by HLS; 04-May-2006 at 04:19 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by HLS
    The government also taxes us to death. 28% of my paycheck goes to federal, state, social security.etc. We should have lower gas prices. I do not see why the government does not step in and do something about this gas issue. I do not see how these insane prices can be justified

Well according to some it is the oil companies just doing business. "Oh my, why are you so harsh on the oil companies? Why do you wanna cut their profit? Blah Blah Blah!

It's a bunch of BS when the average family has to spend over $150 a week in gas just to get to work and do normal family activities. No one seems to bitching too much right now... but wait until that cost is passed onto the price of Food, or electronics, then you will see the real b*tch fest start.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius

Wrong. You propose cutting oil company profits by 75%. Even ignoring the economic effects on gas supply of slashing the profit incentive for producing gas, that would lower the price to about $2.85 at best (assuming a $3.00 average now). You really want to see lower gas prices? First, cut gas *taxes*. The government keeps a far larger share from each gallon than the oil companies do. Second, get the government to allow construction of more refineries.

My god man, i've missed you.

brilliant response.

Spoken like a true Republican, maybe you should call the white house and ask for a job.

actually no, his point is sound. and the solution he reccomened would impact gas prices directly over the entire county.

if you can extract your head out of your ass, you'd notice that these increases happen every year at the same times (labor day, july 4th, and memorial day) because demand goes up.

now since the Gubment won't allow refineries run run at a higher level of production, the price goes up.

does big oil make a ton of money? duh. having said that in the lsit of scum****s making bank off of gas, your stae and the federal gubment make alot more.
    Last edited by p2501; 04-May-2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

UK
    RE: demand - indeed, it's summer now so everyone and their monkey is out in their bloody cars ... which are mostly gas guzzling trucks that only get driven on tarmac (I was stuck behind one such, pristine specimen today - bar the dents all over the back from poor driving skills, probably too much vehicle for the driver to handle).

People are more out and about at this time, businesses crank into overdrive because everyone is out with their monkies so products are flying off the shelves and so need to be brought in more frequently to shops and blah-funking-blah for the whole world.

Someone needs to unscrew the tap a tad at these times methinks.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501
    your state and the federal gubment make alot more.
    Make a lot more? Are you phucking joking?

There is $.47 cents tax between Federal and State on Gasoline. Now try and explain the other $2.68 a gallon I am paying.

Thank You

case closed.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Make a lot more? Are you phucking joking?

There is $.47 cents tax between Federal and State on Gasoline. Now try and explain the other $2.68 a gallon I am paying.

Thank You

case closed.
    Here you go:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/bro...05primerM.html

About 60% of the total price of gas is the cost of the crude oil that goes into making the gasoline. Then you have the gas taxes you mention, the costs of refining, marketing, and distributing, profit for the retailers (which are often independently owned, not owned by the big oil companies), *more* taxes on the *income* of the oil companies (separate from the per-gallon taxes paid by the consumer), and finally profit for the refiners and distributors.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Let me ask this question?

Why in the hell do you need to market gasoline? Seriously, we all need it. Having a commercial on how good your gas is over seller B means nothing when paying $3.00 at the pump. Everyone is gonna go with the cheapest option they can find even if it is crappy low grade sh*t.

We all know Exxon Mobil is the #1 oil company. We all know they made $8.6 billion in profit this quarter. Marketing of gasoline is a useless system.

What p*sses me of is how they just laugh at us with their huge profits and massive severence packages to outgoing CEO's. We give a CEO $400 millon, but can't find a way to pass on some discount to the consumer. Come on!

Publius... I appreciate you making your point and giving your side of the argument, but this is one point I will always continue to be bull headed about, and I will be this way because of who is in the white house and his connection to the industry.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    indeed, it's summer now so everyone and their monkey is out in their bloody cars ... .
    heh a monkey in a traffic jam on a summer day, now that would be damn entertaining

United States
    well, the oil companys make about 6 cents profit out of every dollar of gas and give you a product you need, the Federal and State Governments take about 17 cents out of every dollar of gas and give you nothing, so whos gougeing who?

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501
    does big oil make a ton of money? duh. having said that in the lsit of scum****s making bank off of gas, your stae and the federal gubment make alot more.
    I'm not sure, but I don't recall the "gubment" posting revenues from collected gas taxes in excess of 8 billion. Yes, they tax gasoline and prices are too high. Here's the answer:

Stop buying so much of it. Use other means of transportation. Car pool. Ride a bike, take a train, walk, etc. I'm sure everyone can come up with some way to stop consuming so much gas.

Gas prices aren't coming down anytime soon. With the current situation in China, and their #2 status as the biggest consumers of gas and oil, the problem is not going to get better. That means demand will continue to rise, making gas more expensive.

I walk as much as I can, barring that, ride a bike. I make it to work (which happens to be about 5 miles away) in plenty of time, and find that I only have to fill my tank every 3 weeks or so.

Everyone should ask themselves, "What would I do if I didn't have a car?"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrtr

Everyone should ask themselves, "What would I do if I didn't have a car?"

Kill myself!

Although I only live 2.7 miles from work I drive everyday because I have to also goto different sites for my company. So my total daily drive is like 25 miles. However,from home to my actual desk is 2.7 miles. With 9 satelite buildings spread out over 2 counties... Commuting between meetings suck. Especially since I am the only one from my group in those meetings.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    hard to believe threads like this are in the same section as "snakes on a plane".