Thread: Top 50 directors of all time

Undisclosed

Top 50 directors of all time

Banned User

Undisclosed
    This list is BS, Woody Allen? Peter Jackson is above Kubrick? You kidding me? They didn't even list Dvid Cronenburg. Pffffft.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Wow. Talk about Hollywood-bias. And yeah, Peter Jackson? Why, because of Lord of the Rings? Pfft. List doesn't even have Roman Polanski.

United States
    Where the hell is Kurosawa? What sort of crap is this? And yeah, EvilNed is correct, no Polanski.

This list is a joke and is not fit to smell my $hit.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    1.) John Ford (You're talking Stagecoach and The Man who Shot Liberty Valance. This is the guy who built Hollywood and billed Marion Morrison as John Wayne!)

2.) Howard Hawks (The King of westerns, baby. Rio Bravo is arguably the best western of all time. Who could forget the duet with Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson?)

Purple lies in the canyon
    That's where I long to be
    With my sweet, girl companion
    Just my rifle, my pony, and me

3.) John Huston (This cat put Bogart on the map! The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is Bogart's best, and arguably his nastiest.)

One strange omission from that list is Fred Zinneman. C'mon, this guy directed Gary Cooper in High Noon and The Day of the Jackal! From Here to Eternity to Oklahoma!, this guy did everything.

Another "best" list where the author doesn't know his asshole from his elbow. I'm not claiming that I know everything, but I definitely know movies, especially old westerns and Americana cinema. And as much as I like Hitchcock (he should definitely be in the top five), John Ford should be number one. That is a given.
    Last edited by Dillinger; 23-Jun-2008 at 06:43 AM.

United States
    What's the appeal of directors, anyway? It's the writers that give us the stories. Good story, good movie. Bad story, bad movie. No director can shine ****.

For all we know, some poor guy that directed 12 films of steaming crap was actually a more skilled director than the famous ones. He just had nothing to work with.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    What's the appeal of directors, anyway? It's the writers that give us the stories. Good story, good movie. Bad story, bad movie. No director can shine ****.
    Actually, yes they can. For one they can demand changes to the script so it's made good. Failing even that, they can up the "spark" of the film and simply go for entertainment first and story second.

There's a thousand ways to interpret a scene. Bad story? Could still turn out to be a good film.

And yes, John Ford should be up close to the top. At least in a Hollywoods top 50. But I don't see him as the greatest director of all time. This is all opinions, so I'll stop right here.

Undisclosed
    where's argento? or bava?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

For all we know, some poor guy that directed 12 films of steaming crap was actually a more skilled director than the famous ones. He just had nothing to work with.
    This is true, but at the same time you have to think that a sh1t director can turn a great story into a mundane film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Actually, yes they can. For one they can demand changes to the script so it's made good. Failing even that, they can up the "spark" of the film and simply go for entertainment first and story second.

There's a thousand ways to interpret a scene. Bad story? Could still turn out to be a good film.
    I want to hear the name of the director that can turn Dude, Where's My Car? into a good movie. He/she'll get my vote for #1, then.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    This list is BS, Woody Allen? Peter Jackson is above Kubrick? You kidding me? They didn't even list Dvid Cronenburg. Pffffft.
    No David Cronenberg....that is blasphemous...seriouslly it is...!! ****ty list....

Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    1.) John Ford (You're talking Stagecoach and The Man who Shot Liberty Valance. This is the guy who built Hollywood and billed Marion Morrison as John Wayne!)
    I dont agree with you on him being number 1.....Im not sure where I would put him on the list....I might not even put him on my top ten...but you forgot to mention what I think was his best movie....The Searchers.....(But I guess they mention it on the list on the link)

I prefer writers/directors....like Darren Aronosfky
    Last edited by Terran; 23-Jun-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I want to hear the name of the director that can turn Dude, Where's My Car? into a good movie. He/she'll get my vote for #1, then.
    You mean, turn it into a movie that you'd like?