Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300 Prequel?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Jesus Christ! It was a friggin pop corn flick, a few hours of mindless flashy fun...lot's of folks enjoyed it for what it was - Get over it.
    Do you know how much times goes into making a film? It's not as if Zack Snyder said "Ok, give me some bad guys, I don't care who they are or what they look like". There was a conscious choice making the bad guys the deformed, the foreign and the feminine. But I'm sure their goal was to make the audience think that this is just a dumb pop corn flick, but there's thousands of pop corn flicks out there that aren't as racist. I enjoy them. I couldn't enjoy this one, sorry.

And I am over it. Infact, I don't even care about it because it's a ****ty ass film made by an idiot. But this thread happened to BE about that film, so you know what? I just took for granted that I was allowed to voice my opinion on it. Sorry if that was too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I didn't see a problem with this... I'm sure what ever their social makeup, they weren't keen on seeing their friends and family thrown into slavery or killed etc...

On a side note, from my understanding, the Spartan's in some ways were quite advanced socially? Weren't their women not given many liberties and positions not seen elsewhere for example?
    If by advanced you mean 90% of their population were slaves, then sure. Spartans had more un-free men than any other city state in Greece. Quite advanced! Surely, something "free" to fight for!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Do you know how much times goes into making a film? It's not as if Zack Snyder said "Ok, give me some bad guys, I don't care who they are or what they look like". There was a conscious choice making the bad guys the deformed, the foreign and the feminine. But I'm sure their goal was to make the audience think that this is just a dumb pop corn flick, but there's thousands of pop corn flicks out there that aren't as racist. I enjoy them. I couldn't enjoy this one, sorry.

And I am over it. Infact, I don't even care about it because it's a ****ty ass film made by an idiot. But this thread happened to BE about that film, so you know what? I just took for granted that I was allowed to voice my opinion on it. Sorry if that was too much!

If by advanced you mean 90% of their population were slaves, then sure. Spartans had more un-free men than any other city state in Greece. Quite advanced! Surely, something "free" to fight for!
    No, in relation to their female population! I'm fairly sure they were more 'liberated' than most other regions... This was mainly due to necessity - As the men folk were basically soldiers, someone had to run the place
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    No, in relation to their female population! I'm fairly sure they were more 'liberated' than most other regions... This was mainly due to necessity - As the men folk were basically soldiers, someone had to run the place
    Just because the small percentage of women who were married to spartiaties had more liberties than most other women of the day, doesn't make that society any more advanced considering that percentage was tiny, and Athens was still leagues ahead in other issues such as democracy and freedom of speech. Not saying Athens was any good. They also had tons of slaves, women had no rights but hey. At least the people had some kind of vote. They didn't in Sparta.

Spartans were mostly dumb brutes who liked to trash and kill. Sure, they were fine warriors. But as soon as people actually figured out that the spartans did the exact same thing on the battlefield every single time, it didn't take long for others to just continuously run them down with cavalry, archers or just longer spears.

Administrator

England
    Just because the small percentage of women who were married to spartiaties had more liberties than most other women of the day, doesn't make that society any more advanced considering that percentage was tiny, and Athens was still leagues ahead in other issues such as democracy and freedom of speech. Not saying Athens was any good. They also had tons of slaves, women had no rights but hey. At least the people had some kind of vote. They didn't in Sparta.

Spartans were mostly dumb brutes who liked to trash and kill. Sure, they were fine warriors. But as soon as people actually figured out that the spartans did the exact same thing on the battlefield every single time, it didn't take long for others to just continuously run them down with cavalry, archers or just longer spears.
    Sorry, I've lost your point? You're annoyed that it suggested some of the Spartan warriors were fighting for 'freedom'?

But surely they were, even if they had a million slaves, or no slaves, they could still be fighting for THEIR freedom and continued way of life...?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Sorry, I've lost your point? You're annoyed that it suggested some of the Spartan warriors were fighting for 'freedom'?

But surely they were, even if they had a million slaves, or no slaves, they could still be fighting for THEIR freedom and continued way of life...?
    for all that we owe sparta for her service in the war against persia since at thermopylae and later at plataea (where the full might of sparta smashed any further persian thoughts of messing with greece) they basically saved western civ, sparta itself was a nightmarish, apartheid state that we need to be very careful about romanticizing.

at anytime there were only about 10,000 homoioi (full male spartan citizens) that held a couple of hundred thousand helots (who were low as whale poop in spartan eyes) in conditions of horrible servitude. the spartans had an institution called the crypteia (a part of a spartan boy's agoge) whose basic reason for existing was to terrorize the helots into submission through acts of murder and theft.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

They speak in the film of a "free greece". Anyone who doesn't groan and roll their eyes at a spartan yelling "Freedom!!" must not get that it's a hugely ironic thing for a spartan to say. Spartans didn't give a damn about Greece. They only gave a damn about themselves. I'm sorry, this is just hollywood propaganda at it's most obvious (and least suitable location in time).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Spartans didn't give a damn about Greece.
    hehe. true. after athens was burned to the ground the spartans were busy building a wall across the isthmus of corinth to keep the persians out of laconia. it took a couple of athenian delegations (the athenians had evacuated their entire population to the island of salamis and a few other islands and were being offered rather generous peace terms by the persians, which to their credit, they refused) and delegations from tegea and plataea to get them back into the fight. ultimately they were worried that athens was going to make a separate peace with the persians. that is why they came out with their entire military force and turned plataea into a giant persian bloodbath.

England
    Ned, have you read the graphic novel the film was based on? Is the film any different from it? Or is it a fairly faithful rendition of the novel.

I still think your reaction to this "racist/nazi" movie is hilarious.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    couldn't be worse than "305" http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/305/

Administrator

England
    They speak in the film of a "free greece". Anyone who doesn't groan and roll their eyes at a spartan yelling "Freedom!!" must not get that it's a hugely ironic thing for a spartan to say. Spartans didn't give a damn about Greece. They only gave a damn about themselves. I'm sorry, this is just hollywood propaganda at it's most obvious (and least suitable location in time).
    *** INCOMING NEWS FLASH ***
    It wasn't suppose to be historically accurate!

For example, I guarantee Xerxes wasn't a ten foot tall effeminate giant

It's no different to Braveheart really... History was just used as a backdrop for a story... Personally I don't really care if it's historically correct or not, as long as the film is good. I've paid to have a cinematic, enjoyable spell binding experience, not a history lesson
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    *pokes head through the door*

braveheart is the ****

*leaves again*

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    couldn't be worse than "305" http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/305/
    Got through the first part, very stupid indeed!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    a movie about the battle of marathon would be a nice companion piece to 300.

get some buff action star to play miltiades, grease the athenians and plataeans up in loincloths and what not. it all adds up to box office.

United States
    Dammit Scip!!! That's what I was gonna say!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Dammit Scip!!! That's what I was gonna say!!
    great minds and all that...

i'd seriously like to see a modern action movie about marathon. i would hope it would be at least moderately historically accurate since what really happened there is heroic enough already and really needs no embellishment. i mean, a stand by about 11,000 athenians and plataeans against a force at least 3 to 4 times their size really needs nothing else added to it. i think that is one of my main beefs with 300. what happened at thermopylae on the days on and around 11 aug 480 bc was epic and gripping enough and really didn't need all the added on stuff.

oh and the spartans would not look good in the marathon flick. since they basically dragged ass because of a religous festival (sound familiar) and arrived after the athenians and plataeans had already done the knife work.

oh and on further and very cool point. the helmet miltiades wore in the battle at marathon was found at the ruins of the temple of zeus at olympia. it has an inscription on it that reads "miltiades dedicates this zeus"

here is a pic:

Last edited by Mike70; 02-Jul-2008 at 12:02 AM.