Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300 Prequel?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    *** INCOMING NEWS FLASH ***
    It wasn't suppose to be historically accurate!

For example, I guarantee Xerxes wasn't a ten foot tall effeminate giant
    Don't forget about the AWESOME giant monster thing... and the thirty-foot tall elephants... and the weird god-things on the top of that mountain...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    after dusting this off and giving it a spin, there are some things at least somewhat historically accurate about it:

a. the spartans really did throw the persian messengers down a well after being asked to give earth and water as symbols of submission.

b. leonidas did order the greek army to offer no mercy and no quarter to the persians.

c. as king, leonidas would've been fighting up in the front, leading and inspiring his men.

d. when called upon to surrender their arms to persians, leonidas' reply was "come and get them" what he really said was Μολὼν λαβέ, translated to english as come and get them.

e. the hoplon (the greek shield) was an excellent piece of defensive kit.

f. the spartans did wear long red cloaks into battle and used shields that were all adorned with a large "lambda" for laconia (lacedaemonia in greek) , the spartan homeland.

g. the spartans would've all been pretty incredible physical specimens. each and everyone would've been at peak fitness.
    Last edited by Mike70; 02-Jul-2008 at 02:26 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    after dusting this off and giving it a spin, there are some things at least somewhat historically accurate about it:

a. the spartans really did throw the persian messengers down a well after being asked to give earth and water as symbols of submission.

b. leonidas did order the greek army to offer no mercy and no quarter to the persians.

c. as king, leonidas would've been fighting up in the front, leading and inspiring his men.

d. when called upon to surrender their arms to persians, leonidas' reply was "come and get them" what he really said was Μολὼν λαβέ, translated to english as come and get them.

e. the hoplon (the greek shield) was an excellent piece of defensive kit.

f. the spartans did wear long red cloaks into battle and used shields that were all adorned with a large "lambda" for laconia (lacedaemonia in greek) , the spartan homeland.

g. the spartans would've all been pretty incredible physical specimens. each and everyone would've been at peak fitness.
    And supposedly the phrase, '...then we shall fight in the shade' is reported historically as well...

Would Xerces have been a 10 foot effeminate beef cake nancy boy?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Would Xerces have been a 10 foot effeminate beef cake nancy boy?
    I can't stop thinking of the South Park episode that spoofed 300 now.

Aside from the fighting, I thought 300 was pretty stupid. I remember someone once said it was the 'gayest homophobic movie ever', which I thought was pretty funny ... or maybe it's the gayest movie that homophobes watch ... something along those lines, which is still funny.

I had a rant about it a year ago or so...I covered my thoughts there really.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I can't stop thinking of the South Park episode that spoofed 300 now.

Aside from the fighting, I thought 300 was pretty stupid. I remember someone once said it was the 'gayest homophobic movie ever', which I thought was pretty funny ... or maybe it's the gayest movie that homophobes watch ... something along those lines, which is still funny.

I had a rant about it a year ago or so...I covered my thoughts there really.
    All I can say is 300 is a film can happily watch any time... And I certainly don't see it as a flat action/pop-corn flick, if only because of the artistic elements to it too...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    300? I've seen better product flung from the monkey cage at the Bronx zoo. But by all means, if you like your homo erotic, ahistorical romps designed for 13 year olds with underdeveloped genitalia to be on the farcical side, then, yes, this movie may just be for you.

But honestly, it was trash. ZS did a good job with his intended visual goals, but...bleccch...to the product as a whole.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    But honestly, it was trash. ZS did a good job with his intended visual goals, but...bleccch...to the product as a whole.

That's the way I see it. He did a decent job of giving the okay to designs that the CG artists had created and that's about it. The film falls short everywhere else.

But damn....if you say that you think it sucks to some of the "men" around my town, they're likely to hit you.

Or say "this is sparta!". dar. freaking. har.

Administrator

England
    *la la la... Not listening! LA LA LA*

Seriously I love the film

As I've said, I will happily watch it over and over... The visuals/style are quite unique. The acting is good. The story is simple but engaging, and for me moving in a couple of places.

I'd suggest there are loads of other films that deserver this distain well before picking 300...

It was aimed at being a highly styalized graphic comic book adaptation, and in my opinion fullfilled that goal very well!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    *la la la... Not listening! LA LA LA*

Seriously I love the film

As I've said, I will happily watch it over and over... The visuals/style are quite unique. The acting is good. The story is simple but engaging, and for me moving in a couple of places.

I'd suggest there are loads of other films, which had far higher budgets that deserver this distain well before picking 300...
    Testify! I've only watched it two or three times since buying the DVD (which is more than I have watched "Land of the Dead" BTW), but I will watch it again, I think visually, it's a great movie. I enjoyed it for the entertainment piece that it was.

I never expected historical accuracy or a 5 hour Ridly Scott epic, that wasn't the aim of the makers, it was a comic book turned into a movie (and how many film makers get that right? You can count those on one hand, and you would have to include 300 in that count, so props to ZS).

This is for the haters...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wow. An average looking middle aged woman. That makes it a great movie.

England
    It was the "you will not enjoy this" tag line I was getting at...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    It was the "you will not enjoy this" tag line I was getting at...
    Ah. I see. My mistake. I've had alot of people give the argument that "Headey(I think that's her name) is hoooot. And we see her nipples in slo-mo. ALRIGHT!!"

England
    Fair do's Bass. As women go she is a nice lookin' bird, nothing amazing, but certainly not an ugger IMO.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Wow. An average looking middle aged woman. That makes it a great movie.
    I think she suited the part/role very well... Of course I guess they could have put in your typical stupid unrealistic Hollywood bimbo if that would have suited you better

And of course how attractive a female character is such an important part of the overall film... Oh sorry, are we talking about 'Wanted' again?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No no no. She was fine for the role and she's an okay looking woman. You guys are just misunderstanding me. Alot of guys that love 300 ALWAYS make the same stupid argument that she's hot and get's naked for a slo-mo sex scene.

I'll say that there's really no substance to the film and that the plot is paper thin, etc etc and they'll come back saying that you see her nipples.

You know....the typical Zack Snyder, "oh if they have sex it means they care" scene. Either that or "this will put teenagers into theater seats" scene.
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Jul-2008 at 04:27 PM.