Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: post-apocalyptic govt...

Norway
    Communism allthough a nice principle does not work because it turns the people into thughs and tyrants, I think this thread show that quite well.

United States
    And this is why I like my idea of kill everyone in order to be the lone survivor most of all. People get together, and next thing you know, there's a civil war over some tuna.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    This is the kind of mentality that would cause the human race to die out. But hey, if that's what you prefer, sure go ahead.
    And yours is the kind of mentality that discourages people from preparing in the first place, because they expect the government (if nothing else, a mob) will just take from those who do prepare to provide for them.
    Creating a sense of entitlement to the work of others does not encourage work.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    And this is why I like my idea of kill everyone in order to be the lone survivor most of all. People get together, and next thing you know, there's a civil war over some tuna.
    wouldn't that be the truth. hopefully it would at least be chicken of the sea and not some generic brand of tuna.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    And yours is the kind of mentality that discourages people from preparing in the first place, because they expect the government (if nothing else, a mob) will just take from those who do prepare to provide for them.
    Creating a sense of entitlement to the work of others does not encourage work.
    Well, genius, no solution is perfect, but would you really choose extinction over that?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    Communism allthough a nice principle does not work because it turns the people into thughs and tyrants, I think this thread show that quite well.
    Is there an economic system which doesn't have thugs and tyrants?

Norway
    Yes socialdemocracy manages quite well with just using guilt and nagging, so far...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Is there an economic system which doesn't have thugs and tyrants?
    Good point. No system is perfect. They're just suited to different situations.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Totalitarian.

"It's my way or the highway, b|tch."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Well, genius, no solution is perfect, but would you really choose extinction over that?
    No, personally I extinction is best avoided by encouraging people 1) to be prepared for emergencies, 2) to take responsibility for themselves, and 3) to voluntarily join together to respond to common threats.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Fresh Meat

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    Some people pack up on bottled water toilet paper and tins of soup. I stocked up on ammo, guns and items to make explosives. I can justify theft and murder by my own hands in a post apoc world by the simple fact that the government and civilization will have broken down and its now a survival of the fittest. If you think someone like me is going to go hungry while someone hordes their food supplies, you are grossly mistaken I will take what he has wether he wants to give it or not. THAT is how the world will operate under those circumstances. Right, wrong, moral, immoral or not is all up for grabs.

So you're saying that you're a scumbag thug who if the police weren't around would rape and pillage.

I would rather die than become a Thieving, Murdering scum sucker (which is what you're proposing we become)... But that's just me.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 09-Aug-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I would not mind you in my head, if you were not so clearly mad.
    -Lews Therin Telamon

I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard.
    -Lews Therin Telamon

Undisclosed
    I see EvilNed and Khardis continue to persist in their Lord Hummungus fantasies, and continue to sidestep my position that A, they have no right to another's property.

B, Others will defend their property by lethal means and, as defenders, will have home field advantage. Potassium Cyanide smudge pots might be a bit much for mentally deficent thug wannabe to wrap their wee brain around, so try punji stick pits, and directional mines made from shotgun shells, rat traps and fishing line, barbed wire entanglements, posts sunk to stop vehicles, sandbagged fighting positions made from feed bags, backed with scoped hunting rifles, shotguns, probably a selection of improvised explosives, communications with neighbors in the form of CB radio to summon help, and skills at arms honed by years of hunting and possibly service in the Armed Forces.

C, Fighting will mean Ned and the other Hummongous wannabes, here and elsewhere, will take casualties, and will probably be wiped out in short order as the ad hoc militias take up arms to defend themselves from the raider vermin

D, Any supplies still available can only be splint so many ways, and by demanding those with supplies share, you serve only to doom all to starvation. Carrying capacity.

E. Get your own goddamn supplies. It's not hard, it's not even expensive, and it's the only right choice to make before someone drops 147 grains of lead in your diseased head.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    So you're saying that you're a scumbag thug who if the police weren't around would rape and pillage.

I would rather die than become a Thieving, Murdering scum sucker (which is what you're proposing we become)... But that's just me.
    Yes, and as to what you said to Ned, I am glad you would prefer to die than to become a realist, I wouldn't have any problem killing you and your family if it meant my families survival in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    I see EvilNed and Khardis continue to persist in their Lord Hummungus fantasies, and continue to sidestep my position that A, they have no right to another's property.

B, Others will defend their property by lethal means and, as defenders, will have home field advantage. Potassium Cyanide smudge pots might be a bit much for mentally deficent thug wannabe to wrap their wee brain around, so try punji stick pits, and directional mines made from shotgun shells, rat traps and fishing line, barbed wire entanglements, posts sunk to stop vehicles, sandbagged fighting positions made from feed bags, backed with scoped hunting rifles, shotguns, probably a selection of improvised explosives, communications with neighbors in the form of CB radio to summon help, and skills at arms honed by years of hunting and possibly service in the Armed Forces.

C, Fighting will mean Ned and the other Hummongous wannabes, here and elsewhere, will take casualties, and will probably be wiped out in short order as the ad hoc militias take up arms to defend themselves from the raider vermin

D, Any supplies still available can only be splint so many ways, and by demanding those with supplies share, you serve only to doom all to starvation. Carrying capacity.

E. Get your own goddamn supplies. It's not hard, it's not even expensive, and it's the only right choice to make before someone drops 147 grains of lead in your diseased head.

When there is no law there are no rules except 1 rule, he who has the force, makes the rules. Its not a hard concept to understand really. And if my group of raiders wanted your village of soft targets dead we wouldn't just out and out raid you, we would rig explosives and lights and loudspeakers to your walls blow them and draw the Zombies in and let them polish you off while we hid in cover. THen after you waste all your ammo we would come in for a clean sweep. Don't tell me you thought we were going to do a tit for tat fight on you and avoid guerilla warfare. In that situation defense almost always loses because they have everything to lose and no mobility.
    Last edited by Khardis; 12-Aug-2008 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    Potassium Cyanide smudge pots might be a bit much for mentally deficent thug wannabe to wrap their wee brain around, so try punji stick pits, and directional mines made from shotgun shells, rat traps and fishing line, barbed wire entanglements, posts sunk to stop vehicles, sandbagged fighting positions made from feed bags, backed with scoped hunting rifles, shotguns, probably a selection of improvised explosives, communications with neighbors in the form of CB radio to summon help, and skills at arms honed by years of hunting and possibly service in the Armed Forces.
    This is beginning to sound more like a wish list than responsible preparation.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    This is beginning to sound more like a wish list than responsible preparation.
    I know, itd be funny to see a small encampment with all that crap around it. ALl you gotta do is douse the walls with gasoline, light it up and let the zombies come to town and finish em off.