Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: post-apocalyptic govt...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

post-apocalyptic govt...

what kind would you want to see set up?

me i'd go for a style of govt. based on the roman republic with elements of athens thrown in (big surprise huh?).

a. an assembly of all the people 17 and over would have legislative power.

b. two people would be elected for one year terms as sort of "chief executives." no one could hold this office for consecutive terms nor be re-elected within any 10 year period.

c. a council would also be elected by the assembly to terms of one year to handle to the day to day things that would need to be tended to.

d. everybody fights. everyone. if are 17 and over and capable of pointing a gun in the right direction, you fight. no exceptions other than for medical reasons.

e. the only penalties for serious criminal activity would be either death or exile.

these are just a few ideas. i might add more as time goes by.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I hope I die in the apocalypse. I rather like our form of government that existed before people found they could vote them selves money from the federal coffers. I also do not like the mob rules mentality that has come to existance in the state of Ohio either. Why so many people feel they have the right to infringe upon the private property rights of others or take money from others and spend it as they see fit is not what this country was ever intended to become. Maybe in the U.S. only people that own property should have the right to vote. You know, the people that have something at stake. IMO

It's no wonder why I love zombie movies so much. When we are all faced with a common threat we tend to stop being stupid. And all those that continue to be stupid die. Natural selection's a wonderful thing.

Undisclosed
    I rather like Heinlein's idea of service before one gains the rights of citizenship.

Realistically, I see military rule in those areas not overwhelmed by deadies.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    I rather like Heinlein's idea of service before one gains the rights of citizenship.

Realistically, I see military rule in those areas not overwhelmed by deadies.
    That's a good idea as well. I agree the military would play more of a role than you see in any of the zombie movies. Way to much fire power to be over run by GAR's zombies.

Twitching

United States
    One word.

Meritocracy.

If you can do what needs to be done better than anyone else you do it. Anything else when the species is up against the wall facing the specter of imminent extinction is foolhardy. How does one determine who "the best" is? Easy, you'll find them doing it, or getting ready to do it.

In my opinion somewhere along the line we began to believe that charisma and honed social skills were as necessary to a leader as a brain. No idea how it happened, but we did it. Every single time you let "the people" pick their leaders they invariably pick the guy who talks the best game. That's fine I guess when better men have done all the heavy lifting to put "the people" in a position that affords them such luxuries, but it'd be Fiddlers Green after Fiddlers Green if the trend continued into a zombie apocalypse.

The romans started out with some good ideas, such as needing to display the scars you'd received while fighting the enemy in order to run for office, but they fell into the same cult of popularity trap eventually.

People would probably be best served by a sort of advanced non-hereditary tribal leadership system, similar to the one uses by the Apaches (among others) to select war leaders.

Just my .02

England
    The leader of the "good guys" in Mad Max II is called "have a go". That sums up the sort of person you'd need as a leader in grim post apocalyptic times...people who get things done, people who are willing to try and get things done, organizers and doers, people with vision. The folks who emerge as leaders in the "Survivors" series are also of this calibre, men who are looking to rebuild from day one, people who won't rest until the job is done.

In my opinion, the poets and philosophers would have to get their hands dirty...or starve.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed

GAR's guesses are pretty dead on...

In my opinion, I think George would be right about the whole "people won't work together" thing. People would just use it as a chance to loot and go crazy and kill and generally be lawless, while the military would be too stubborn to adapt new ways to fight the new threat, like in the beginning of WWZ. I think society would be so messed that it'd be pretty much impossible for a new government to start.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    In my opinion, the poets and philosophers would have to get their hands dirty...or starve.
    Need to add welfare bums to that list. I'd put them below the poets and philosophers.

England
    A lot of British welfare bums would simply expire at the news....

"What? What do you mean no free money, house, healthcare, handouts, I'm entitled to these things, they are my human rights....work? WORK? No fuc....eurgghhh *clutches chest and colapses*

No loss really.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Anything that puts me in charge.

LOL

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    A lot of British welfare bums would simply expire at the news....

"What? What do you mean no free money, house, healthcare, handouts, I'm entitled to these things, they are my human rights....work? WORK? No fuc....eurgghhh *clutches chest and colapses*

No loss really.
    haha I feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Anything that puts me in charge.

LOL
    haha even without the zombies taking over the world I don't want that job. To many babies in this country. Then again if I had that kind of power I'd have them shot.
    Last edited by Redman6565; 08-Jul-2008 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Norway
    Democracy all the way!
    If you have some people you can not use in your millitaristic-liberterian meritocracy utopia, feel free to send them to me, I find a use for them

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Well, you'd have to get rid of capitalism and any mentality that comes with it if you're gonna get people to work together. If you've got something that can help the greater good of the people, you WILL share it with them or else we WILL take it from you. It's that simple. In times of need, this may seem harsh but it's utterly necessary for the survival of the human race.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Well, you'd have to get rid of capitalism and any mentality that comes with it if you're gonna get people to work together. If you've got something that can help the greater good of the people, you WILL share it with them or else we WILL take it from you. It's that simple. In times of need, this may seem harsh but it's utterly necessary for the survival of the human race.
    agree 100%. in the beginning where survival would be a touch and go thing, everyone and i do mean everyone, would have to work together and share. people who don't want to do that will have to fend for themselves out among the undead. i see no real place for private property (in the sense of the phrase as we use it now) when you are trying to rebuild literally everything.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    Need to add welfare bums to that list. I'd put them below the poets and philosophers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    Then again if I had that kind of power I'd have them shot.
    Does this include the corporate welfare bums that actually cost you the most money? If so, you're going to need a heck of a lot more ammo.