Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: zombie short stories

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    The idea of a school under siege has been done a lot, but I think it could be done really well if the story focused on how the school develops into a mini society instead of just showing the nerdy but secretly badass kid saving the hot cheerleader. I had an idea about Nottingham University in Britain, where I study at the moment. It's in the middle of a built up city, so it'd be surrounded by zombies in no time, but it's walled off from the rest of the city, has its own shops and is even part of the city hospital. I think it'd be interesting to see what would happen if the military cadets from the reserve officer training core took control and how long it would take for the place to devolve into a feudalistic society with the cadets on the walls, forcing everyone else to grow crops in the playinf fields. How does that sound?

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I backburnered the current story I'm writing to start one based on an undead attack on a school in the theme I'm talking about.

I'll try to get it in before the next fiction update.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I have another idea for a short story. It would be a small midwest farming community which due to the dispersion of people in farming areas has not been hit virtually at all by the zombie rising. the townspeople generally came together as the details were coming in as the "outside world" collapsed and put together a plan on how to deal effectively with townsfolk who became zombies. So life for them mostly carries on as normal through the summer but just before harvest it turns out that there is a mass zombie exodus(hundreds of thousands of zombies) making its way across the country eating everything alive in its path and their town is right in its apparent path. The town only gets a few days warning and has to come up with a plan in a hurry, some people want to flee some want to stay, knowing that pretty much the whole world is zombies now. Anyways, in my idea it ends up being where the town comes up with a plan to dig pits, take out a strategic bridge over a river that cuts off the path of the horde. The pits fill and there are so many zombies that the river gets clogged and they end being able to cross on the backs of each other like army ants. So the townspeople end up coming up with a last ditch plan to use the last of their combined fuel reserves to douse the fields between the horde and their town and burn them. Of course the problem is that they then would be out of fuel and in the middle of a massive fire as their entire town is effectively surrounded by fields full of tinder dry crops and as the size of the horde becomes apparent to them it seems the fire may not be enough and the people have to start shooting zombies and then, out of ammo, consider the possibility of having to fight a crowd of flaming zombies hand to hand all while trying to keep their town from burning down with them in it. I'd like it if in the end some people survived to try to rebuild but thats not a must.
    Last edited by zombieparanoia; 14-Sep-2008 at 04:25 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post
    I have another idea for a short story. It would be a small midwest farming community which due to the dispersion of people in farming areas has not been hit virtually at all by the zombie rising. the townspeople generally came together as the details were coming in as the "outside world" collapsed and put together a plan on how to deal effectively with townsfolk who became zombies. So life for them mostly carries on as normal through the summer but just before harvest it turns out that there is a mass zombie exodus(hundreds of thousands of zombies) making its way across the country eating everything alive in its path and their town is right in its apparent path. The town only gets a few days warning and has to come up with a plan in a hurry, some people want to flee some want to stay, knowing that pretty much the whole world is zombies now. Anyways, in my idea it ends up being where the town comes up with a plan to dig pits, take out a strategic bridge over a river that cuts off the path of the horde. The pits fill and there are so many zombies that the river gets clogged and they end being able to cross on the backs of each other like army ants. So the townspeople end up coming up with a last ditch plan to use the last of their combined fuel reserves to douse the fields between the horde and their town and burn them. Of course the problem is that they then would be out of fuel and in the middle of a massive fire as their entire town is effectively surrounded by fields full of tinder dry crops and as the size of the horde becomes apparent to them it seems the fire may not be enough and the people have to start shooting zombies and then, out of ammo, consider the possibility of having to fight a crowd of flaming zombies hand to hand all while trying to keep their town from burning down with them in it. I'd like it if in the end some people survived to try to rebuild but thats not a must.
    Thats a really good zombie story.

Undisclosed
    If you or anyone wants to use it give'er I am not much of a writer, not enough to produce an entire story anyways, I'd get a page or 5 in an taper off and leave it on a pile of files.

I don't think its based on a movie either. But I could be wrong.

Undisclosed
    How about this, a story about a group of people who find themselves trapped together in a oddly safe, well supplied location of limited size. The conversation eventually comes around to the big questions "Why? and How?" The people would each be from a specific viewpoint like say a priest, a doctor, a biologist, a banker, a government official, a blue collar worker worker, a recent third world immigrant etc. In the end I'd like it if they all killed each other because they couldn't/wouldn't agree. To me the zombie genre has always been more about the people being so f'd up than the zombies although zombies are pretty f'ing cool.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieparanoia View Post
    Oh man that would be an awesome story. I don't know if its because i just finished the Jericho series or what but I think this sort of thing could work and be outstanding if properly written
    "Are you asking me if I think you're pretty or if I'll f*** you? Cause you don't have to be pretty for me to f*** you"