Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: zombie short stories

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

zombie short stories

has anyone got any good ideas for short stories? i'm experiencing writer's block.

Administrator

England
    I've had a story stuck in my head for sometime... Basically a father and son (very young just 4-5yrs old), stuck somewhere with absolutely no hope... eg: In a room with the dead in mass outside. Or in a garage for example...

The story of course would need strong writing as its all about the feelings and thoughts of the situation...

And most likely the father having to put his son out of his misery! Horrible...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Actually I have a great one. Trouble is i'm writing it at the moment.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    How about making the original Dawn of the dead story but Instead of the fantastic 4 story tell the story about those people they met up on the roof those people that had a boat.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by horrormad93 View Post
    How about making the original Dawn of the dead story but Instead of the fantastic 4 story tell the story about those people they met up on the roof those people that had a boat.
    Hasn't one been done about the doc officers? Can't recall!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hasn't one been done about the doc officers? Can't recall!?
    Yeah, someone did a story about Joe Pilato's character from Dawn being Rhodes from Day. Never read it though.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by horrormad93 View Post

That would be great idea.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    or the love boat with the undead.

Are you wanting to run with straight Romeroish zombies? change it up some. Add magic.

does it have to be an end of the world type zombie apocolypse?

An obviously zombie is walking around the mall. How did it get there. Why is it walking around.
    Last edited by brer; 09-Aug-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

England
    This hotel in a small town is run by this odd old couple, who kill lost people and throw them into the cellar, where something is 'living'.

Obviously, it's a zombie. Their son, who they keep feeding.

That's the basic story, with one stranger who finds out the truth, perhaps even locked in the cellar with the zombie, to be eaten alive.

...and then there were two...
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dracenstein View Post
    This hotel in a small town is run by this odd old couple, who kill lost people and throw them into the cellar, where something is 'living'.

Obviously, it's a zombie. Their son, who they keep feeding.

That's the basic story, with one stranger who finds out the truth, perhaps even locked in the cellar with the zombie, to be eaten alive.

...and then there were two...
    That sounds familuar.I've heard that story before,But I can't remember where.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    That sounds familuar.I've heard that story before,But I can't remember where.
    The old English horror film The Ghoul?

I remembered that after posting it. Damn. I was wanting something a bit more original.

Ok, Frankenstein is making the monster from parts of various corpses, however, when Frankenstein gives his creature life, the various corpses also reanimate and become flesh eating zombies.

Can the creature save Frankenstein? Or will it want to eat human flesh as well?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dracenstein View Post
    The old English horror film The Ghoul?

I remembered that after posting it. Damn. I was wanting something a bit more original.

Ok, Frankenstein is making the monster from parts of various corpses, however, when Frankenstein gives his creature life, the various corpses also reanimate and become flesh eating zombies.

Can the creature save Frankenstein? Or will it want to eat human flesh as well?
    I've never heard that before.That sounds like it could be good.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Never seen the Ghoul but will at some point.

England
    Bub666, the Frankenstein stuff, I made up for the short story idea.

For the Ghoul, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073042/.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Me, I know I'm rough at writing. I figure the only way I'll get better is to write more. One story in the archive, one awaiting Neil to update.

There are quite a few authors here, that if I could write as good as they do, I would quit my job and make a living off of being a wordsmith.

That being said. One of my big turn offs about a lot of the fiction here is its predictability. I am not trying to be critical of this site, I have read every story here and have enjoyed the vast majority of them.

Go as far left field as you need to find a new idea or angle. Don't rehash the same stuff a lot of other authors have already done.

We have enough ultimate zombie killers already. Page after page of the protagonist wading through the dismembered bodies that he has laid to their final rest gets old after a while. I think that dissatisfaction shows in quite a few of the stories other authors have written. I'm pretty sure that Muppets of the living dead is a very good example of this.

While I am a very poor author at the moment, I am a very good reader. I can spot a standard plot device a mile away.

So in response to the OP

Things that have not been done to death:

Tales told from the point of a child. Instant suspense, we all naturally feel for children because they are relatively helpless. Bad ass protagonists get old after a while.

Tales told from the point of someone infected. While even knowing at the beginning how the story will eventually end, the trip there can be very entertaining.

Cowards with enough spine to survive. In the zpaw I imagine there will be quite a few more of them around then heroes. You know, a protagonist that leaves the hot chick or the busload of handicapped orphans behind.

The buildup to the zpaw. It likely aint gonna happen overnight. A story with a buildup of weeks without being written in a diary format could work well.

Non-Romero type zombies. I know Romero zeds are standard fare, but lets change a feature or two here and there. ie A little more intelligence, fast until rigor mortis sets in, or complex group behavior.

The living dead as the good guys?

A living dead scenario where the ressurrection of the dead is defined geographically by the event that spawned it.

I am currently working on one at the moment that is basically a first person story told in the context of an old man recounting events that happened some years before that included the living dead. It may suck, it may blow chunks, but it will be as original and as nonstandard fare as I can make it.
    Last edited by brer; 14-Aug-2008 at 08:40 AM.