Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Watchmen

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Here's Watchmen...Saturday morning cartoon style (so wrong on so many levels!)
    Hehe, I can't wait to see this when I get home. Yeah, Watchmen are so serious that they do readily lend themselves to parody.

Imagines....

*Sound of octogenarian shoplifter's head going through plateglass.

Watchmen Gang in Unison: "That's our Rorschach."

*Laugh track runs*

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Also - I've read reviewers giving Snyder praise for the opening sequence - but what's being said here is that actually, it was done by a whole separate company? Just like Yawn04 ... ... interesting.
    I mentioned it in the shoutbox, but wanted to put it down here so that you saw it, MZ. As, I know you would certainly want as much information as possible for your fair and balanced review of Mr. Snyder's work

Source

From the yU+Co release:

The challenge for yU+co. was integrating titles into an already edited six-minute sequence that was built without the placement of titles in mind. In order to make the titles feel like an organic part of the sequence, Yu and his creative team wove meticulous detail into the type design. Rather then simply lay 2D type onto the foreground of the live action, it is incorporated in 3D into each scene.

According to Director Zach Snyder (via Fandango);

From the very beginning I wanted to do a cool title sequence for the movie and it was actually the thing that got me started drawing Watchmen because they were trying to figure out how much this movie was going to cost. I said it’s really impossible to say until I start drawing the movie and a get a sense of what the movie is…

So I literally went to the beginning of the movie and started drawing. It was funny because I had the music—I was pretty positive that it was going to be Bob Dylan’s “The Times They Are A-Changin’.” Then it started to take shape for me as we really find out where we are in the world, and that’s how that sequence came about, tracing the alternate history.

The result is an imagined yet nostalgetic superhero landscape, setting up the film to be, hopefully, as inspired as the title sequence itself.

Damn, I hope that 'nostalgetic' remark was a typo. Maybe you can use that as ammo, though, MZ Maybe Snyder uses other people's material because he's illiterate. Damn, this stuff writes itself.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    lol - well you see this is interesting, because the impression I got from youze lot is that Snyder pawned the whole sequence off on another company (like with Yawn04, correct?)

Also, the company putting the sequence online gave me the impression they'd composed the whole thing, not just stuck some text on it.

Anyway, I'm still mulling it all over - and listened to the rather spiffing 1 hour 46 minute long review chat with Kevin Smith at "/Film" - and of course I'd be reviewing it from the perspective of having not read the book.

However, I do want to read the book at some point.

Anyway - is it Snyder's best film? Yes, undoubtedly.

However - the writers who adapted it into a script did a significant amount of the adapting I'd say - without a script, or without a good script, you've just got a turd to make look pretty (kinda like with Yawn04 then ).

Also, the actors all did fantastic jobs (e.g. Haley and Crudup - both phenomenal I thought).

So I'm not bemoaning directors who don't write the shit they direct, I'm more saying "well calm down on the sheer volume of praise" because Snyder is directing a well written adaptation (written by two dudes - Hayter & Tse) of an absolutely sublime piece of original work (this is what I've constantly heard about the source material at least, as I've not personally read it yet) - Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons having done the actual hardcore leg work years ago.

Then factor in Snyder basically using the book for the story boards, and it really does - in sheer practical terms - diminish the role of the director as a creative entity. It's more about pointing people about, rather than anything else perhaps.

Yawn04 was fucking abominable, and 300 was the gayest movie homophobes have ever called their own (plus it was fucking stupid).

I certainly object to Snyder being labelled a "visionary" by the trailer - by definition, he just isn't. Pretty pictures and music videos isn't a visionary, that's a visual director.

Orson Welles, Stanley Kubrick, Ridley Scott - to name but three - they are visionaries.

Citizen Kane - 2001 - Blade Runner ... ... Yawn04 (gash remake of a well, and long, established seminal horror classic) and 300 (history-raping pile of macho-pish created by Frank Miller, then adapted by someone else, then directed by a music video director) - not exactly the same league really is it?

I'm not a fan of Snyder the man, I think that's plain to see. He just annoys me when I see interviews with him, and Yawn04 and 300 were either god-awful or just plain pish.

Watchmen - the source material - is so considered, and out-right strong, that it shines through the skilled adaptation by Hayter and Tse.

This all said though - being such a literal translation, is it that creative? Does Snyder deserve the ball tickling he's been getting, really?

It's like with Sin City (a flick which I love) - as kick ass as it is, again it's a case of taking the panels and pretty much doing that but 24 times a second - it's not exactly the most creative thing really, is it? It's not like many of RR's other works where he's written the script ... ... mind you, RR also does his editing, scoring, does the effects "in house", shoots it in his town and so on - so even when doing Sin City, RR himself had a lot more input into it generally than I'd say Snyder did in Watchmen.

There's LOTS to mull over as I said before ... but as I said, out of the work Snyder has done, it's his best - but the strength of the work from the others involved (especially the source material), makes Watchmen far more a case of a collaborative effort, rather than the work of an auteur (which certainly isn't a label you could attach to Snyder, in all honesty).

The film itself - I can certainly see how a full cut will plug the various holes that the theatrical cut length forces upon it, and I look forward to seeing that, as well as of course reading the source material, which I must do sometime soon. I dug the flick.

There are plenty of little things to go "nuh" about, such as certain pieces of music (which in general flags up MUSIC VIDEO DIRECTOR quite a bit), and - during the action scenes (because it doesn't fit in dialogue scenes of course), that bloody mid-shot slow-mo/normal-mo/slow-mo crap.

300 totally ruined that trick, just do whole shots in slow-mo, for goodness sake!

Anyway - fully realised thoughts coming soon - even though, indeed, I've rambled on quite a bit here.

Administrator

England
    Seeing it tomorrow night... And know nothing about it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Seeing it tomorrow night... And know nothing about it...
    Really? Look forward to your thoughts on the matter.

United States
    MZ - I'd say that was pretty well the impression I came away with as well. This movie gave me no strong feelings about Snyder one way or another as a director other than being strongly impressed by the visuals & giving him points for sticking as close to the book as he did. But it's really hard to pinpoint anything about his skills as a director out of this movie per se. As you say, he was already standing on the shoulders of giants w/ the original material, & then has a pretty great adaptation via the screenwriters, so...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    MZ - I'd say that was pretty well the impression I came away with as well. This movie gave me no strong feelings about Snyder one way or another as a director other than being strongly impressed by the visuals & giving him points for sticking as close to the book as he did. But it's really hard to pinpoint anything about his skills as a director out of this movie per se. As you say, he was already standing on the shoulders of giants w/ the original material, & then has a pretty great adaptation via the screenwriters, so...
    Moon - exactly.

Neil - that's the way!

I've still got to finish collecting all my thoughts on it, so I'll post that soon.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    MZ - Was that a mini review or a bash snyder-a-thon?

I agree with you. I give the guy some points in some areas, but he's definitely no visionary. He has an eye for pretty images. Kinda like Michael Bay. But I would still say that Bay has the upper hand in other areas. Neither of them visionary, though.

As for Watchmen....I can't stop thinking about it, but I don't know why. There's something about it that I just can't put my finger on. I'm going to try and see it again in theater. This time I'm going to do my best to watch it as though I've never read the novel and see how it turns out. The first time around I was trying to see how close to the novel it was...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

As for Watchmen....I can't stop thinking about it, but I don't know why. There's something about it that I just can't put my finger on. I'm going to try and see it again in theater. This time I'm going to do my best to watch it as though I've never read the novel and see how it turns out. The first time around I was trying to see how close to the novel it was...
    actually ive heard the film profs. at uni commenting on how they think students will be studying it in years to come.

make of that what you will.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    MZ - Was that a mini review or a bash snyder-a-thon?

I agree with you. I give the guy some points in some areas, but he's definitely no visionary. He has an eye for pretty images. Kinda like Michael Bay.
    Yeah, I totally agree. The visionary hype crap, I feel, most of us agree is way, waaaay over the top. I also agree with MZ that this is probably a high water mark for Snyder (at least currently)...and that "300 was the gayest movie homophobes have ever called their own (plus it was fucking stupid)."

I really did love Watchmen, though, and am anxiously awaiting an MZ review of the film (not just a Valentine's Day Massacre-style review of Z. Snyder ).

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    actually ive heard the film profs. at uni commenting on how they think students will be studying it in years to come.

make of that what you will.
    The novel or the film? The novel is definitely worthy of study, but the film? Not so much. The film has a story and relevance because of the novel. Other than that the only thing to study in the film itself is the slow mo action sequences.

Another thing about the film: The gore and violence. Anybody else irritated by how it seemed as though Snyder would sort of zoom in and glorify the gore? Of course the source material is very adult-oriented, but it seemed as though Snyder turned it up for the film and put it in the front as though he was thinking "looky looky....I made an adult comic film. TWICE!" It just seemed like a cheap gimmick.

Minor complaint, I spose. I agree that this is Snyder's best work yet(which still isn't THAT great, imo), but I think I would have rather had Snyder's trademark slow mo and unnecessarily long sex sequences put to the back.

I don't hate the film, but I feel it could have been better. Maybe it will grow on me in time. Looking forward to the extended cut on dvd, as well.

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, I guess I've got a reputation for Snyder-bitchin' eh?

I'm trying to balance out what did he really seem to do for the film.

Anyway - I'm still mulling over my thoughts, it'll be an epic rant about a variety of aspects as far as I can go without having yet read the graphic novel. My thought-age is coming soon.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    honestly i went in without having watched 300 and forgot he was the guy behind the dawn remake and didnt have any of these problems, any chance its the rapeing of the best zombie movie ever making your views slightly jarred? becuase the only slo-mo that i noticed was silk spectre 2 turning form the fire, uneeded and pointless, but the best par of 2 seconds in a 3 hour movie.

United States
    I give props to Snyder for translating the GN faithfully. It's not as easy as it seems. He was able to make the fans happy, something noone ever thought would happen with an adaption of this source material. Yeah he had help, yeah he didn't do it all himself. Of course. But NO movie is made just by one man. And there have been many movies that have been adapted from popular source material that have been great. Many many. But these directors still get some credit where credit is due in being able to translate their vision to the silver screen. Isn't it the director's job to find the best people and keep them working on a common goal to get the movie he wants made?

Give the man some credit here. He made the "unmakeable" movie, and did it well. Whatever your feelings for his previous work. . . Snyder, IMHO is just getting better and better. While not the best director in the world, he is quite capable and I foresee great things in his future. He reminds me quite a bit of early Steven Speilburg. A mostly hack director with a great imagination, and some great promise, has popular support, and has been vaulted to Hollywood goldenboy after only a very few movies. Speilburg has grown into a really great director. Perhaps Snyder has that potential as well?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I give props to Snyder for translating the GN faithfully. It's not as easy as it seems. He was able to make the fans happy, something noone ever thought would happen with an adaption of this source material. Yeah he had help, yeah he didn't do it all himself. Of course. But NO movie is made just by one man. And there have been many movies that have been adapted from popular source material that have been great. Many many. But these directors still get some credit where credit is due in being able to translate their vision to the silver screen. Isn't it the director's job to find the best people and keep them working on a common goal to get the movie he wants made?
    All good points. I think the main thing is, it's hard to gauge much if anything about Snyder the director from Watchmen.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Give the man some credit here. He made the "unmakeable" movie, and did it well. Whatever your feelings for his previous work. . . Snyder, IMHO is just getting better and better. While not the best director in the world, he is quite capable and I foresee great things in his future. He reminds me quite a bit of early Steven Speilburg. A mostly hack director with a great imagination, and some great promise, has popular support, and has been vaulted to Hollywood goldenboy after only a very few movies. Speilburg has grown into a really great director. Perhaps Snyder has that potential as well?
    That might be a little strong. Even in Speilburg's early stuff, like Duel, you could see the glimmer of promise IMO. From Snyder's 3 outings so far...??? I dunno.

Really, since 300 & Watchmen are both adaptations, the closest we've seen to an original work from him has been Dawn '04. Other than the name it really is an original screenplay w/ no characters or situations, etc from the original. So...IMO, if you want to try & gauge Snyder as a director that's you're best bet, more or less. It'll be interesting to see what else he does...more adaptations or original material? If it is original stuff, then we have some basis for comparisons.