Thread: Watchmen

United States

Watchmen

Feast your eyes upon this glory.

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Now, I'm not a fan of either the Dawn Remake or 300. But I think both of those fell short first and foremost due to the script/source material.

This time around, the source material is awesome. So I'm pretty hyped.

United States

Didn't know the trailer was out yet. Thank you for that!!!!

"When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Well yeah, at least the source material/script should probably be decent here.

But I laughed at the bit where it said he was a "visionary" director...no, he's a "pretty image" director, there's a difference.

Stanley Kubrick - HE - was a visionary.

I wonder if two characters will bone to show us they have a deep and meaningful relationship? ... Or just cos not much has happened in the last 10 minutes.

United States
    Yeah, not a "visionary"

But this trailer looks pretty awesome and if they stay with the storylines from the novel this should be one righteous film!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Administrator

England
    Better quality version(s)...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Pretty cool trailer, but it looks like it could be another "if I make it look good, then they'll think the story's good" Snyder film.

Some people actually laughed out loud in the theater when the "visionary director" was on screen.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    when the "visionary director" was on screen.
    That is somewhat overblown! '300' was great (IMHO), but that's about it really
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Yawn sucked. 300 sucked. Im not wasting my time on this cluster****. lol

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    Yawn sucked. 300 sucked. Im not wasting my time on this cluster****. lol
    Way to go binary rating man...

God, opinions like that, well, they just suck

Seriously, Dawn was OK, the first 15 minutes was pretty Damn good... I'd rather watch Dawn 04 than Diary TBH...

300, was just great IMHO... As mindless violence, or artistic comic book action, it was just great

You cannot fairly say either of these two films 'sucked'... You may not have enjoyed them, but to be so unfair with them just... sucks...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Some people actually laughed out loud in the theater when the "visionary director" was on screen.
    Classic.

But fact is, is that he isn't a visionary. Nothing he's done has been visionary. It's been pretty, but that's it.

And Yawn was awful, for many reasons - just during the movie I had 110 gripes, so don't try your "sucky opinion" opinion with me, Neil.

300 was better, but still stupid. Takes a slice of history, then pisses all over it, throws in some useless giant elephants and a giant in-the-closet Persian dude sending his armies to fight the armies of a bunch of lubed up blokes with (surely) CGI-enhanced washboard chests in tight leather pants and red capes while someone goes nuts with the slow motion button, as somebody else goes insane with MS Paint in the background.

300, was okay, nout more in my view. Yawn was complete sh*t.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I wonder if two characters will bone to show us they have a deep and meaningful relationship?
    Well, knowing the source material, I could give you a hint as to a possible answer, assuming the script adhered to such aspects...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Well, knowing the source material, I could give you a hint as to a possible answer, assuming the script adhered to such aspects...
    So that's a yes then.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You cannot fairly say either of these two films 'sucked'... You may not have enjoyed them, but to be so unfair with them just... sucks...
    What the HELL?! Then you cannot either say that either film is "great" or "ok", because that would be an equally subjective opinion. I do think 300 sucked BIG TIME, so I will say it:

300 sucks. Sue me, I said it and it's out there. It's my opinion that 300 truly, utterly sucked donkey balls. Just as you can say that it's a great film, I can say that it's a sucky film. None of us are right.

Now, Dawn was Ok. But the writing was awful.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Classic.

But fact is, is that he isn't a visionary. Nothing he's done has been visionary. It's been pretty, but that's it.

And Yawn was awful, for many reasons - just during the movie I had 110 gripes, so don't try your "sucky opinion" opinion with me, Neil.

300 was better, but still stupid. Takes a slice of history, then pisses all over it, throws in some useless giant elephants and a giant in-the-closet Persian dude sending his armies to fight the armies of a bunch of lubed up blokes with (surely) CGI-enhanced washboard chests in tight leather pants and red capes while someone goes nuts with the slow motion button, as somebody else goes insane with MS Paint in the background.

300, was okay, nout more in my view. Yawn was complete sh*t.
    Oh yeh, him being called 'visionary' is utterly rediculous...

When had you ever seen anything looking to styalised as 300? Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow tried and did a reasonable job... But for me 300 was just raw styalised action... I really liked it...

IMHO I just cannot see how anyone can fairly give it a 'hard time'... If only because of the solid/original production values it should for example get a 4/10...

As for Dawn 04, the first 15 mins was pretty good, but the rest just went pants due to the terrible writing... But still, the overall film deserves at least a 3-4/10 IMHO... And as I've said elsewhere, I'd prefer to watch Dawn 04 to Diary...

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    What the HELL?! Then you cannot either say that either film is "great" or "ok", because that would be an equally subjective opinion. I do think 300 sucked BIG TIME, so I will say it:

300 sucks. Sue me, I said it and it's out there. It's my opinion that 300 truly, utterly sucked donkey balls. Just as you can say that it's a great film, I can say that it's a sucky film. None of us are right.

Now, Dawn was Ok. But the writing was awful.
    It's not about calling it an extreme, it's about only using extremes, and doing it unfairly... I just get the feeling people all too often 'rebound' to a film that has done well, and start giving it an exceptionally (unfair) hard time...

300 was solidly produced, had a reasonably interesting script at least, and pretty unique solid visuals... At the least it's a mediocre film, yet people will slag the hell out of it because they simply didn't enjoy it. And more importantly I suspect because it did so well, they feel they have to go overboard in the opposite direction with their opinion(s)...

You'll no doubt get many of the same people ripping the hell out of 'Titanic' because it did well, but they didn't enjoy it... And once again, at the very least there was nothign particularly wrong with the film, but people will use terms and descriptions suggesting it something worthy of only 1 or 2 out of 10, where clearly this is just not fair...

My issue is with binary unfair opinions; where there is no attempt at fairness and objectiveness... These sort of opinions are to be frank just worthless...
    Last edited by Neil; 22-Jul-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Carl Sagan