Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Knight takes a record $155m

Administrator

England

Dark Knight takes a record $155m

Wow! I guess a third film is guarenteed then

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7516316.stm
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye I saw this on Yahoo, a good haul alright.

I knew it was gonna be massive anyway though, it just couldn't and wouldn't be anything but huge.

I'll hopefully be going to see it on Sunday (and to see WALL.E sometime this week during "early bird" hours, hehe) ... ah mate, I canny wait to see TDK, it looks so awesome!

Hopefully Nolan wants to do a third after this whole TDK circus has died down a bit for him, cos he said after BB he wasn't going to do a second one, but he ended up doing it ... so hopefully it'll be the same thing again, because seemingly it's the only way that Bale will return as Batman for a third outing.

I think three films from the Nolan/Bale teaming would be great, a sort of trilogy if you will. Really round things off.

Administrator

England
    I'm gonna see Batman a week tomorrow (even if I have to go alone)...

I'll see WALLE when I'm off with the nugget, Aug 5th-7th...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wow! I guess a third film is guarenteed then
    That could be a bad thing. I just hope Nolan returns to round off a trilogy and then leave it at that. But after seeing the way Nolan wraps up TDK, he may not be interested in doing another. So then the studio will hire some shmuck to screw it all up like Shumacher with the last series.

The midnight screening was PACKED. I mean people sitting on the floor kind of packed. Then as we were leaving, there were already many, many people in the 3am & 6am lines. The second time I saw it, it was a 10am show and the theater was almost full. So yeah....I knew it would kill at the box office after seeing that.
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Jul-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Dead

Undisclosed
    if they were to make third, I'd suggest Nolan and Goyer take a good deal of time to come up with the right story and not rush it because the numbers of TDK would just add unnecessary pressure to the process. Even worse is they have to figure out how to deal with the Joker issue as well as other characters (not looking to throw spoilers into this). The earliest I could see the next one coming out would be 2012 and by then Michael Caine might not be up to it so I could understand why they might just decide to end it here.

United States
    I just wish that A)Heath didn't die, because I just can't imagine anyone else playing the part like that. and

B) They hadn't killed off Harvey Dent. That kinda screws it up for any further movies.
    Most of the other Batman Villians are kinda goofy. They would be difficult to pull off in the more serious tone that Nolans Batman movies represent.
    Last edited by clanglee; 21-Jul-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, if Nolan/Bale are to do a third, then it'd really have to be after a decent amount of time to let TDK's dust settle and allow them time to come up with something new, and to perhaps even let Nolan do another, smaller film in between.

United States
    after final counts completed, TDK took in $158m. suck on that spider-man 3...let's hope if they decide to do a third film, they don't "nuke the fridge", "jump the shark", or "do a piano dance" like raimi and sony did with spidey 3.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    after final counts completed, TDK took in $158m. suck on that spider-man 3...let's hope if they decide to do a third film, they don't "nuke the fridge", "jump the shark", or "do a piano dance" like raimi and sony did with spidey 3.
    Oh for goodness sake... OK, so Spidey 3 wasn't as good as Spidey 2, but never NEVER liken it to Indy 4... Them be fightin words No way was it that much of a cop out!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    i've not seen indy4, but everyone who's seen it always comes back to the "nuke the fridge" scene, which is similar to the "jump the shark" bit from happy days, and when peter parker (with his emo clothes, haircut, and eyeliner) started dancing on the piano, it became apparent that the film series was staying past its welcome...to me at least.

never got around to buying sm3 on dvd, and most likely never will. while it's probably not as bad as indy4, it's a craptacular money-making joke compared to the first 2 films.

sandman's roaring, the piano scene, venom's 6 minutes of screen-time, peter parker's "dark" side, harry's insta-scar, the new goblin's entire get-up, and the quick shot of spidey running past the american flag....all these, plus many more i could name, are reasons i can't sit through sm3 ever again. i think the only reason i enjoyed it the first time was sheer hype and anticipation.

TDK actually lives up to the hype while sm3 fails, that's all i'm sayin, bro.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i've not seen indy4, but everyone who's seen it always comes back to the "nuke the fridge" scene, which is similar to the "jump the shark" bit from happy days, and when peter parker (with his emo clothes, haircut, and eyeliner) started dancing on the piano, it became apparent that the film series was staying past its welcome...to me at least.

never got around to buying sm3 on dvd, and most likely never will. while it's probably not as bad as indy4, it's a craptacular money-making joke compared to the first 2 films.

sandman's roaring, the piano scene, venom's 6 minutes of screen-time, peter parker's "dark" side, harry's insta-scar, the new goblin's entire get-up, and the quick shot of spidey running past the american flag....all these, plus many more i could name, are reasons i can't sit through sm3 ever again. i think the only reason i enjoyed it the first time was sheer hype and anticipation.

TDK actually lives up to the hype while sm3 fails, that's all i'm sayin, bro.
    My main gripe with Indy 4 was the 'drive down the tree' scene...

*minor spoiler*

Marion purposely drives a truck off a cliff onto a tree. Now this was an act of almost certain death, yet, (1) she did it, (2) there were a number of alternatives, (3) she did it a f***ing stupid grin on her face.

To me this shows utter contempt for the audience. If the main characters have no concern for their well being, why should the audience? Or do the characters somehow know all will be OK... Again then, this just makes any emotional investment in the characters an utter waste of time...

What was interesting is after the film I suggested at least the scene could have been salvaged a bit, if they'd at least driven off the cliff by accident, rather than on purpose... Turns out in Frank Darabont's original script this was how it happened, before Lucas (or who ever) smacked the audience in the face with their version...

*rant over*

Spidey 3 was not as good as 2, but it was still a good film IMHO... People give it too hard a time due to the quality of 2...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I really dug Spider-Man 3, yeah, it's probably the least of all three, but it's still a quality superhero flick, and good Spider-Man fun! I really enjoyed it, and it does have some great moments ... I do think the advertising department were all too aware of the hype surrounding the franchise thought ... and that's a dangerous thing to be aware of.

United States

Oh Neil. Not this again.

I liked Indy4 a WHOLE lot more than Spidey3. Spidey 3 was a joke. That last fight scene with the reporter cutting in with "oh no, spidey is gonna fall" etc, was just crap. And the piano dance scene. . . *shudder*.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    I can not wait to watch this movie.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post

Oh Neil. Not this again.

I liked Indy4 a WHOLE lot more than Spidey3. Spidey 3 was a joke. That last fight scene with the reporter cutting in with "oh no, spidey is gonna fall" etc, was just crap. And the piano dance scene. . . *shudder*.
    Yes... This again... DRIVING DOWN A TREE!!!

I'll quite happily watch Spidey 3 again, but I suspect I'll never bother watching Indy 4 again...
    -Carl Sagan