Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Ring of Death Question

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The towel trick re-melts some of the sodder you lost, and a good amount of the time you can get lucky, and it'll fix itself. But I've never heard of a permanent fix. In fact, most accounts I read state that it only fixes their system for a few hours.

United States
    Talked to a buddy, he is on xbox 360 number four. Had red ring of death THREE TIMES since he bought it.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Talked to a buddy, he is on xbox 360 number four. Had red ring of death THREE TIMES since he bought it.

That kinda stuff is common knowledge yet people still keep buying 360's. The ps3 an as good, if not better console and you never hear of stuff like that happening.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    That kinda stuff is common knowledge yet people still keep buying 360's. The ps3 an as good, if not better console and you never hear of stuff like that happening.
    Indeed, the PS3 has much better build quality than 360, and it's quieter too. On the other hand, I think the PS3 situation with games is dire. With Metal Gear Solid 4 out the door, what else is there to look forward to this year? Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet? They look great, but in the face of Gears 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Too Human, Banjo Kazooie, Left 4 Dead, and Castle Crashers, plus all the multiplatform games that are coming to both systems, it just seems like the pendulum is swinging 360's way when it comes to software. Plus, Sony's biggest gun for next year (Final Fantasy XIII) has gone over to the 360 as well.

Also, with this Fall's dashboard update, you can fully install games on your 360's hard drive, so that your disk-drive stays silent, load times are faster, and there's less wear and tear on the system itself. Here's a nice video preview that just came out today showing how it's done:

http://www.vimeo.com/1479143?pg=embed&sec=1479143

As far as the RRoD goes, if you've got a "Falcon" chipset in your 360, chances are it's not going to fail. You can tell if you have it by looking on the power brick. If it says "Output: 175W" on the sticker, then you've got it.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    My 360 is over 2 years old now, got it to play dead rising when it first came out and had it since.. and it gets used ALOT, most of you will know most recently i got the 7 day survivor acheivement on dead rising which requires you to play the game for 16 hours constantly, but in reality my xbox was on for 3 days solid due to work and sleep commitments.

My point is, ive never had a glitch, never had a slow down and NEVER seen a single red light, let alone the ring of death.

I Personally think these stories are exagerated and many people have had good experiences with their xboxs, and i dont think their any less reliable than the PS3.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    My 360 is over 2 years old now, got it to play dead rising when it first came out and had it since.. and it gets used ALOT, most of you will know most recently i got the 7 day survivor acheivement on dead rising which requires you to play the game for 16 hours constantly, but in reality my xbox was on for 3 days solid due to work and sleep commitments.

My point is, ive never had a glitch, never had a slow down and NEVER seen a single red light, let alone the ring of death.

I Personally think these stories are exagerated and many people have had good experiences with their xboxs, and i dont think their any less reliable than the PS3.
    If things are going alright for people, they have little reason to comment - hence the low level of "it's going great" chat you see online. Meanwhile, if something buggers up, they have all the reason to comment - hence the apparent vast volume of complaints...which, on the grand scheme of things, is still in the minority.

I myself have had my Xbox since May last year, after 9 months the video component packed up and I had to have it sent for fixing. It got fixed, came back running quieter, was only gone for 9 days total (6 of which were transport days it seems), and since then - *touches wood* - I haven't had any issues.

My only main 'problem', if you will - and it's minor - is sometimes my disc drawer sticks on the way out once you've just turned it on. It'll jam, then go back to it's "in" position, then I press again and it opens ... but that's a very random issue, comes and goes, and always works upon a second press.

If that's the extent of my worries for my Xbox (called "Mason" ) for the remainder of my using it, then that's fine by me...

*touches some more wood*

*goes to touch his own wood*

United States
    To be fair, I did have in excess of two years of game time with no real problems, however my machine is definetely out of sorts at this time. I get Error 74 and 79 messages frequently, and now when I actually can load a game only get to play for about three minutes before getting frozen.

I am glad to hear that there are users who do not experience these problems, but I can say that for the amount of cash I had to outlay to get this machine, and the hard drive, and the subsequent games, I am displeased to hear that I am going to have to put out more cash to continue playing.

Certainly there are advantages to having a 360 that make it more attractive to me than switching to a competitors console. But I reasonably expected more than a few years of life out of my machine than what I got. Perhaps this is too much to expect, however, having experienced a playstation 2 that is still working 6 years + after initial purchase (that never ate my games or required extra hardware or repairs to keep going), I wonder if I am just unlucky, or is this machine put together poorly. (I say this as a 360 advocate who is feeling a little hurt right now)
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 09-Aug-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    I definitely think that MS skimped on the build quality of the 360, no doubt about it with the amount of problems there have been. It's a larger than normal fail rate, which is undeniable - but there are still plenty of people having no issues at all, or people with one or two and then that's it.

I think cases of multiple consoles are either exagerated, or come down to human error/improper use, or come down to dud refurbs getting sent as replacements.

No doubt MS' next console will be built like a brick sh*thouse.

But didn't the PS2 have it's fair share of hardware problems when it first came out? I remember hearing that somewhere...might be mistaken though.

Aside from the build quality, and having to fork out £50 per year to play online (which I personally don't do anyway), the 360 is the best all round console I say, and it certainly has the variety of games.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think the rrod needs sorting, but when you get a free replacement in a few days you cant really complain.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i think the rrod needs sorting, but when you get a free replacement in a few days you cant really complain.
    My fantasy at this point is that the XBOX manufacturers say, "oops, sorry about that" and ship me a new one. But I have a better likelyhood of winning the lottery at this point I fear.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    why?, thats what they did for me.

Super Moderator

UK
    I requested over the phone that I get my console back, not some refurbed bit of tat that'll break quickly and/or probably have other problems.

I got MY console back, which was nice, the service was really quick, the phone line was generally quite an easy experience, the delivery bloke actually came with my sticker (even though I was told I'd get my sticker in the post, then I'd have to ring up - but clearly I didn't have to).

The delivery bloke wasn't at all surprised it was an Xbox, lol, so there we are ... anyway, it got fixed and returned in 9 days, and like I said, since then it's ran quiter, which is nice.

I just hope it doesn't break again!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I requested over the phone that I get my console back, not some refurbed bit of tat that'll break quickly and/or probably have other problems.

I got MY console back, which was nice, the service was really quick, the phone line was generally quite an easy experience, the delivery bloke actually came with my sticker (even though I was told I'd get my sticker in the post, then I'd have to ring up - but clearly I didn't have to).

The delivery bloke wasn't at all surprised it was an Xbox, lol, so there we are ... anyway, it got fixed and returned in 9 days, and like I said, since then it's ran quiter, which is nice.

I just hope it doesn't break again!
    Minon, was this on a full red ring, or the one red light/Error 74 or Error 79 thing that I am getting? I surely would like to save myself the expense of a new unit if possible!

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    why?, thats what they did for me.

Same question as above to Brother Hellsing? Is there still hope for me?
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 10-Aug-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    I got my 360 on launch day. Still works fine, minus a disk tray error that I get. If i take a disc out of the tray, the bitch refuses to open for quite sometime, until I hit the open button aprox 217 times.

Not 216
    Not 218
    But 217 times, every time it happens. So I just make sure to keep a disc in it all the time.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You know, it is a frigging shame these consoles suck as much as they do. $300-$400, even $600 for some systems and they die off in two years... F U C K THAT! My PS2 is 6 years old and still kicking, and my Atari 2600... that thing is 27 years old and still working, how can a console I bought 27 years ago still work, yet with all the technological advances today they can't get a friggin XBOX or PoS3 to work longer than 18 months to 2 years.

We as consumers should demand better.

The OP, should check with Microsoft, as there was a recall on some XBOX 360's and this may qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    I got my 360 on launch day. Still works fine, minus a disk tray error that I get. If i take a disc out of the tray, the bitch refuses to open for quite sometime, until I hit the open button aprox 217 times.

Not 216
    Not 218
    But 217 times, every time it happens. So I just make sure to keep a disc in it all the time.

So you have counted how many presses it has taken to open the tray unit.

DAMN, and I thought I had a lot of time to kill.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 10-Aug-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*